Swanson 6
    Freeman 3
    Donaldson 5
    Markakis 9
    Albies 4
    McCann 2
    Camargo 7
    Keuchel 1

Camargo in vs a RHP to give Riley a rest. It looks like Snit just doesn't get it. Camargo is terrible as a LHH, so Joyce should be getting spot start vs RHP in place of Riley.

It's these small advantages that add up over time that leads to teams being great. The Dodgers have an optimal lineup construction plan, deploy it consistently, and therefore it becomes the norm for the players involved.

Now even if the Braves wanted to go platoon heavy in the playoffs, the players wouldn't be used to it, and it likely won't be as effective.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    He doesn’t want to play both Riley and Camargo in the outfield at the same time. It’s stupid, but that’s the reasoning. It has to be.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Um. Jogun hit a tater as a lefty so hillbilly snit thinks he is good against righties.

Predicting his pre game comments: “Both guys are really good. Just really good players so we are in a really good spot either way. But camargo has been really good lately against tough righties so I went with my gut. I expect him to be really good out there and we should see a really good ball game “.

Let me know how close I got.

Edit my lefts and rights.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 06-26-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Markakis isn't anything special defensively in RF, there were two hits vs Teheran I thought a good RF catches. Plus had he started Fried's previous game against the Pirates that runner nailed at the plate by Culberson/Flower's never happens. Culberson's throw was 93.3 MPH or something like that. Markakis arm is weak in comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I thought the sucky Darvish would be a good match-up for Riley. So not who I'd sit him against. I want Camargo to play more and hopefully he hits Darvish tonight and it won't matter. But he should be getting starts vs lefties and Markakis should be sitting. If not him then Culberson should start in those games as he did against Pittsburgh.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    He doesn’t want to play both Riley and Camargo in the outfield at the same time. It’s stupid, but that’s the reasoning. It has to be.

I don't think it is that unreasonable to avoid Riley/Acuna/Camargo OF. Camargo hasn't really been good enough at the plate to justify it.

Regardless, his philosophy is pretty clearly that you play your starters every day and I don't see that changing. He's been very explicit about it this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think it is that unreasonable to avoid Riley/Acuna/Camargo OF. Camargo hasn't really been good enough at the plate to justify it.

Regardless, his philosophy is pretty clearly that you play your starters every day and I don't see that changing. He's been very explicit about it this week.
    Except that Markakis isn’t a very good defender either, and when you take into account how much better Camargo is vs LHP, it should be a net positive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    No problem with giving Riley a break, and I'm a huge Riley guy. He needs a day off

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Markakis isn't anything special defensively in RF, there were two hits vs Teheran I thought a good RF catches. Plus had he started Fried's previous game against the Pirates that runner nailed at the plate by Culberson/Flower's never happens. Culberson's throw was 93.3 MPH or something like that. Markakis arm is weak in comparison.
    Markakis is relatively unlikely to make a major error out there and he's probably not giving up much, if anything, in range or assists to the other two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

I don't think it's a concern about defense, it's his philosophy about playing his starters. He isn't interested in sitting Markakis more or platooning Markakis against lefties and will have to be forced into doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Markakis is relatively unlikely to make a major error out there and he's probably not giving up much, if anything, in range or assists to the other two.
    You and I both know he doesn't get an assist against Pittsburgh. Both Culberson and Camargo have much better arms. Culberson showed better range last night too with a great catch to save a double. But Culberson is an infielder by trade so he has lacked the consistency that Markakis naturally has being an outfielder rather than a converted infielder playing outfield for another converted infielder playing OF (Riley). Markakis has a -2 DRS so far this year in RF and not surprisingly his arm has rated poorly, etc. His error rating is good though. The balls he gets to he catches.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I don't think it's a concern about defense, it's his philosophy about playing his starters. He isn't interested in sitting Markakis more or platooning Markakis against lefties and will have to be forced into doing so.
    I agree the primary reason is that Markakis is the starter and starters play every day in Snitker's mind. He's made that explicit twice this week.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-26-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I agree the primary reason is that Markakis is the starter and starters play every day in Snitker's mind. He's made that explicit twice this week.
    It probably pleases the players, which is what I think his goal is in the first place, but man it just makes absolutely no sense other than that. Markakis should probably be in a strict platoon with someone and if not he should at least be getting a day off once every two weeks or so.

I just don't understand Snit's mindset on this one. I really hope this is Markakis' last year in Atlanta and it really has nothing to do with him as a player.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    It probably pleases the players, which is what I think his goal is in the first place, but man it just makes absolutely no sense other than that. Markakis should probably be in a strict platoon with someone and if not he should at least be getting a day off once every two weeks or so.

I just don't understand Snit's mindset on this one. I really hope this is Markakis' last year in Atlanta and it really has nothing to do with him as a player.
    If Markakis was rested more, I believe his numbers would be better too. He is a good pinch option off the bench too if properly rested. But refusing to do so will likely hurt us the second half. It will be interesting how Inciarte re-joining the mix affects that too. Inciarte when healthy is usually a much better second half performer. So if he comes back and plays better and Markakis struggles the second half then something will have to change.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post

I do not think it is very hard to understand. It's very old school coach-y. I think you know exactly where he is coming from even if you disagree.

I'd prefer Nick to sit regularly vs LHP, but at the same time, I don't think Camargo has been good enough to make it worth worrying a whole lot about. And I do think playing three OF out of position is asking for game losing errors.

Braves OF situation is weird.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I do not think it is very hard to understand. It's very old school coach-y. I think you know exactly where he is coming from even if you disagree.

I'd prefer Nick to sit regularly vs LHP, but at the same time, I don't think Camargo has been good enough to make it worth worrying a whole lot about. And I do think playing three OF out of position is asking for game losing errors.

Braves OF situation is weird.
    That seems sort of semantic-y, but okay.

Camargo hasn't had many plate appearances in the past month, but he's been excellent when he's gotten them. And I really don't understand where Snit is coming from. Even from an old school perspective, fatigue exists and an older player like Markakis should get periodic days off when there is a better option off the bench. Its not even a new school thought, really, its just common sense.

Maybe Snit just really likes Markakis and thinks he is much better than he actually is. Would also explain why he insists on hitting him 5th.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    expecting a yuge game from Markakis
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm guessing Donaldson gets tomorrow off with Joyce in left, and Muk gets game 2 of the Mets series against Matz
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm guessing Donaldson gets tomorrow off with Joyce in left, and Muk gets game 2 of the Mets series against Matz
    Lol. Right
    Coppy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (06-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (06-26-2019), cajunrevenge (06-26-2019), The Chosen One (06-26-2019)