Thread: Braves TV from the Wastelands

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts

Braves TV from the Wastelands

This is interesting to me, and thought maybe it'd be interesting to anyone who doesn't live in the Braves telecast territory.

I live in Denver, Colorado and I don't buy the MLB Extra Innings package. Mostly it's because I already pay for NFL Sunday Ticket, and also because I'm only interested in watching the Braves and not having to pay for EVERY game. I have DirecTV at home, and I also have all the channels and the sports package because I watch other sports on there (Cycling, Skiing, and college football).

So, how many Braves games can I watch with this set up? The number may surprise you.

Firstly, because I have DirecTV, I get 2 weeks of free MLB Extra Innings in the first week of the season, and the first week after the All Star Break. That is 12-13 games.

Secondly, I live in Denver, so I get all the Braves-Rockies games. That is 6-7 games.

These first two categories I call Live Local games. The numbers may vary based on if the Braves play the Rockies in one of those free MLB weeks, but generally this is 18-20 games right off the top.

The next category is Live National games. These are games nationally broadcast on ESPN, MLB Network, FS1, or Fox. Braves appearing on these broadcasts has alot to do with their recent success, and thus far the Braves have been on 19 times this season. This does not include the 3 games broadcast on Fox, because they are actually regional games, and we hardly ever get those in Denver. (We get another game on the west coast).

So, in the first half, I've had 6 Live Local games and 19 Live National games for 25 total.

But that's not all!

Because I have the sports pack and get all the local sports networks, I can see almost everything on those channels BUT the live broadcast. This includes, about half the time, the Replays of the games on FSSE/FSSO that starts about a half an hour after the games end. I say sometimes, because sometimes these are blacked out also. I have been watching these replays for a few years and haven't yet figured out how they decide which replays get blacked out, other than I never see a replay on Sunday.

So far this season, 24 games have appeared on replays. I am often spoiled on the outcome, but I can at least watch these games.

So the grand total of games in the first half has been 49, without me paying anything extra than I already would, or having to watch them on a pirate stream. That is MORE than enough games for me. I have seen at least one game of 22 of 26 series so far, and I see on average 3-4 games a week. Even at the height of TBS, we only got about 5 games a week.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (06-27-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    You know that people were sharing MLB.TV accounts.

I could have let you use my Comcast account.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    T-Mobile has offered free MLB TV the last few seasons. Last year it was okay, but I only had the app on my phone. After discussions with our leader months ago he let me know that a smart TV can download apps too. I have MLB TV on my new TCL TV and I can watch all the games I want. I was skeptical about watching things on TV via internet connection, but it’s been very close to regular cable/satellite. I am pleased.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (06-27-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    They also have one team option as well.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    I wish I had your discipline. I pay through the nose. I cannot miss a pitch.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I have ways to watch them everyday.