Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wren On XM

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Wren On XM

Frank's one of the scheduled guests for Casey Stern and Jim Bowden on "Inside Pitch" on XM this afternoon. The show airs from 2-6 eastern. Jason Vargas is the first guest listed, so my guess is that they talk to Wren during the 3:00 hour.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-22-2013)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Please take careful notes!

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Not really much new, apparently:

JimBowdenESPNxm: Frank Wren just told us on the status of Brian McCann "Good chance he's going to be somewhere else" Sirius 209 XM 89 http://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/s...93178342060032

JimBowdenESPNxm: Frank Wren "We've explored all possibilites for top of the rotation pitching" without naming Price and Scherzer per tampering rules XM 89 http://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm/s...94394899914752

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

weso1 (11-22-2013)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    1.) 6 players that would've been on playoff roster that were unavailable because of injury.

2.) Thrilled with our young pitching.

3.) Confident that B. J. will bounce back.

4.) Comfortable with Gattis behind the plate IF it shakes out that way. Bethancourt will get a chance to wow them in camp.

5.) Huddy "did everything we wanted him to do". Would like a "veteran for depth" - Huddy just too expensive.

6.) "We like our pitching, but don't have that 'Ace' at the moment. We think we have guys that WILL develop into that."

7.) Haven't made the decision on 2B - feels they have time.

8.) Strikeout problems improved and became somewhat more manageable as the season continued.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-23-2013), Mrs. Meta (11-22-2013), weso1 (11-22-2013)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    1.) 6 players that would've been on playoff roster that were unavailable because of injury.

2.) Thrilled with our young pitching.

3.) Confident that B. J. will bounce back.

4.) Comfortable with Gattis behind the plate IF it shakes out that way. Bethancourt will get a chance to wow them in camp.

5.) Huddy "did everything we wanted him to do". Would like a "veteran for depth" - Huddy just too expensive.

6.) "We like our pitching, but don't have that 'Ace' at the moment. We think we have guys that WILL develop into that."

7.) Haven't made the decision on 2B - feels they have time.

8.) Strikeout problems improved and became somewhat more manageable as the season continued.
    I agree with most of this. We really don't need much. Get rid of Uggla even if it means releasing in ST. Ideally add a veteran SP, add a bat for the bench, and bullpen arm and go to battle. If we don't land an SP now it's not a big deal. We'll have the pieces to make a move mid season if needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    With the k's decreasing, it seemed like we hit less hrs as the year went on also. That might just be my memory not being sharp though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    The part about adding a veteran pitcher is tricky. If we're just getting someone who "adds depth", it could actually weaken the rotation. The young pitchers we have are very good, and adding a veteran just for his veteraness doesn't really improve the team. He has to be better than whoever he is displacing.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The part about adding a veteran pitcher is tricky. If we're just getting someone who "adds depth", it could actually weaken the rotation. The young pitchers we have are very good, and adding a veteran just for his veteraness doesn't really improve the team. He has to be better than whoever he is displacing.
    The more often I look at what's "available" WITHOUT draft pick compensation, the more I keep coming back to A. J. Burnett. Seems like a pretty good gamble (much better than Josh Johnson would've been actually) on a 1 year/$15 million deal (with a one year option if he'd like it perhaps). He said it was Pittsburgh or retirement, but why not give him another chance to play on a winner and let him talk to his family about it??? He actually is that guy that has "Ace" stuff that has the experience and makeup to run out there in a Game 1 against other "Aces" that WOULDN'T cost anything other than the money saved by letting Huddy and Maholm walk. He allows you the opportunity to slide everyone down a notch with Wood and Hale getting regular work in Gwinnett while also limiting their innings as Beachy "insurance" for one more year. Burnett, Minor, Medlen, Teheran, and Beachy matches up well regardless of the opponent.

He's also got a bit of a chip on his shoulder after they ran Cole out there instead of him in the playoffs - always love guys that feel like they've got something to prove.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Agreed. I think Wood is ready to be an impact SP. We don't need to add an SP just to add someone. Since I'm very confident in Wood....I'm actually very interested in taking a shot on Halladay depending on his medical records. I'm sure we can get him on a 1 year deal. If he doesn't work out we have Wood and Hale to step in.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    IIRC the circumstances, we offered Burnett a deal some years back. Seems to me he has some family issues that preclude him getting too far from his family home. One Im pretty sure of is his wife will not fly so train service is a much. There may be something with his children but I just cant remember.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    IIRC the circumstances, we offered Burnett a deal some years back. Seems to me he has some family issues that preclude him getting too far from his family home. One Im pretty sure of is his wife will not fly so train service is a much. There may be something with his children but I just cant remember.
    Yeah, you are correct -- we actually preferred him to Derek Lowe, and offered him a 5-year deal ... however the Yankees swooped in and nabbed him at the last minute. He said it was, in part, because his wife does not like to fly and the family is located in Baltimore.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Dempster's "problem" was his kid's health issues.

Pretty sure our pursuit of A. J. eventually came down to minimal $$$ differences (which we may have matched if given the chance) and the fact that the Yankees were the Yankess - with a healthy (and non-declining) group of Sabathia/A-Rod/Teixeira/Jeter/etc..

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Yeah, you are correct -- we actually preferred him to Derek Lowe, and offered him a 5-year deal ... however the Yankees swooped in and nabbed him at the last minute. He said it was, in part, because his wife does not like to fly and the family is located in Baltimore.
    She seemed to handle it OK after he was shipped to Pittsburgh - not exactly a quick commute. Like I said, wouldn't hurt to kick the tires in the event he'd like a one year deal - everyone else that's "available" and better than a 3/4 will be getting multi-year commitments. Don't think Wren's going multiple years for anyone that's not an absolute "Ace" - if he didn't do it for Huddy, he's not likely doing it for others like Garza/etc..
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    She seemed to handle it OK after he was shipped to Pittsburgh - not exactly a quick commute. Like I said, wouldn't hurt to kick the tires in the event he'd like a one year deal - everyone that's "available" and better than a 3/4 will be getting multi-year commitments.
    Drive time is about the same from Baltimore to New York / Pittsburgh. I would actually venture to say that Pittsburgh might be quicker considering NYC traffic.

But yeah, I agree it would not hurt to take a look at Burnett, and it seems as though the Braves have already conducted due diligence. That being said, I would prefer Halladay over Burnett if we are talking about one-year propositions. Of course, provided the price is right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    She seemed to handle it OK after he was shipped to Pittsburgh - not exactly a quick commute. Like I said, wouldn't hurt to kick the tires in the event he'd like a one year deal - everyone else that's "available" and better than a 3/4 will be getting multi-year commitments. Don't think Wren's going multiple years for anyone that's not an absolute "Ace" - if he didn't do it for Huddy, he's not likely doing it for others like Garza/etc..
    Burnett, Lohse, Halladay, Haren are a few guys I have some sort of interest in. I'm sure there are others available that I'm not thinking of. I 100% would much rather have Burnett over Halladay though.
    Last edited by emk418; 11-22-2013 at 06:13 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Drive time is about the same from Baltimore to New York / Pittsburgh. I would actually venture to say that Pittsburgh might be quicker considering NYC traffic.

But yeah, I agree it would not hurt to take a look at Burnett, and it seems as though the Braves have already conducted due diligence. That being said, I would prefer Halladay over Burnett if we are talking about one-year propositions. Of course, provided the price is right.
    Just don't personally think Halladay has anything left. I still remember Glavine whining when he was topping out at 82-83 and we started Hanson's clock instead of putting him in the rotation like it was yesterday - definitely don't think many folks will argue that that was the right call in hindsight.

After seeing Jason Vargas get 4 years, you just have to think there's no way Santana and Garza don't get at least 5/$75 or so. Certainly don't want to spend that kind of money on guys like that just to have them in Wood and others' way if Julio or Minor does turn into that true "Ace" while we're still paying those guys.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    As a matter of fact, I'm almost sure the difference came down to the fact that the Yankees guaranteed the fifth year and Wren didn't initially want to but said afterward that he would have. Burnett signed with the Yankees for 5/$82.5 million, so Frank moved on to the next "best" guy in Lowe and he settled for 4/$60 million.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    as long as you are checking Halladay's medicals, you might as well check Johan Santana's as well, he is only 34 and not that far removed from being a really good pitcher plus he is left handed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Yep. Pretty much spot on. Drive times between Balt and Pitts/NYS are within 30 mins of each other. I seem to recall that the commuter train was a big factor and the fact that AJ would be coming to Balt 3 or 4 time a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Back on topic. Anybody wonder why we need another exGM when we already have a stable full of them. JS, Cox, Wren and now what more can Hart really bring to the table. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.