Thread: AJC Interview with AA

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts

AJC Interview with AA

Good stuff - talks about the rotation, Swarzak, Sobotka, bullpen etc. Link

Alex Anthopoulos became the Atlanta Braves’ general manager on Nov. 13, 2017. He presided over a National League East title last season, and the 2019 Braves hold a comfortable division lead. And yet, among some fans, the feeling persists that Anthopoulos hasn’t done enough. He spent a lengthy lunch this week offering his views on the team, his moves and what’s apt to happen before the July 31 trade deadline. The first half of that conversation follows.

Q. Do you think you have enough starting pitching to get you through October?

A. We have enough talent. I can’t tell you what the performance is going to be, but we have as much upside as anybody. You look at who’s in Gwinnett right now, and you’ve got (Kevin) Gausman, who’s going to be there shortly; (Mike) Foltynewicz is down there; (Kolby) Allard; (Huascar) Ynoa’s got electric stuff; Kyle Wright’s throwing the ball well; Patrick Weigel just had a fantastic start. That being said, the ones who’ve been up here haven’t pitched to their ability. We’re going to take the month of July to really make that determination. We always look at the starting rotation through the lens of, “If we needed to have four guys start playoff games, who would we go with?” It’s very hard to know what that’s going to look like after the month of September. With injuries and performance, we want to have as much depth as we can. But we do have options internally; we just haven’t gotten the results yet.

Q. How important is Foltynewicz this year and beyond?

A.There’s no doubt what his impact can be. He started Game 1 of the NLDS for us last year, and it wasn’t by default. He earned it. You look at the numbers he put up last year, with the strikeout rate and the ERA and everything else. The biggest change has been his slider is not the same. The development of his slider is going to be key for him.

Q. What happened to his slider?

A. There are all kinds of theories, and I’ve talked to him about it – whether it’s the injury (the tender right elbow that slowed him in spring training) and he’s totally healthy and whether he feels comfortable. There have been times when he’s shown it this year. That outing on the road against the Cardinals (on May 24) was the most excited I’ve been basically all season because that was 2018 Mike Foltynewicz, stuff-wise. It’s in there. Just from the consistency standpoint, we haven’t seen it. The velocity’s fine. As a result (of his slider struggles), he’s had to throw more changeups and curveballs. In Gwinnett he can work on (his slider). Rather than worrying about trying to get outs up here, he can actually work on it. That’s going to be as impactful an acquisition as we can make.

Q. Are you concerned that the number of innings Max Fried and Mike Soroka are apt to work, and will you do anything to modulate that?

A. We’re aware of it. We talk about it. We’re on top of it. There’s just an unknown of … we just watch start to start, in between starts, every day. Do they need to skip a side (session)? In certain games, if we have enough of a lead and (manager Brian Snitker) can save some bullets and pull a guy after six even if his pitch count is low, he’ll look to do it. If we need to pop in an extra starter to deal with off-days, we’ll do it. We don’t have a number (of innings) in mind. I don’t believe in that. I did early as a young GM (with Toronto). We shut guys down. We did all that. They still got hurt.

Q. Who’d you shut down?

A. We shut down Brandon Morrow. We shut down Brett Cecil. We shut down Drew Hutchison. We shut down Kyle Drabek. We shut down a ton of guys. In L.A., we shut down Julio Urias. And you can look across the industry: Plenty of teams have shut guys down, and it didn’t prevent them from getting hurt. I don’t have the solution. I don’t think anyone does. I just don’t think it’s been proven to work in shutting guys down. I think we monitor it start to start, each outing and the work in between … and there may come a time when we need to shut them down, for whatever reason, if they are sore or they’re ailing. But right now we plan to have them pitch the whole year. We’re very conscious that the workload is going to be heavy, especially if we get to October.

Q. What’s your reaction when you see your much-criticized bullpen has best ERA in the National League?

A. That it could change again. (Laughs.) I just think it’s experience over time. I really don’t react one way or the other. If you ultimately win and you have results, certainly you react. But I’ve been through enough seasons and enough failures and successes to know that we’re at the beginning of July and a lot can change. We’re halfway through the season.

Q. Did you ever think the bullpen was as bad as some among us in the media, myself included, were portraying it?

A. No. I know there was a lot of talk about, “Why wasn’t it addressed?” We can’t dictate what’s out there in the market in terms of free agency. Certainly there were relievers that we liked; some of them we didn’t like at a certain price. Some of the best deals when you look at it, three months into the season – some big-money guys, like Adam Ottavino (who signed with the Yankees for $27 million over three seasons), have done very well – but for the most part some of the best deals have been the lower-dollar deals. And I think every GM would tell you that, if everyone knew, they wouldn’t have gotten those contracts. There was risk associated with that. I don’t know that anyone’s good enough to be able to hit on those guys all the time, but in terms of those big financial commitments, we didn’t have the conviction to go big on multi-year deals, big AAVs (average annual value) for those relievers. We’d rather save those dollars for other opportunities. A Dallas Keuchel comes up, and we have the ability to go do that and outbid a team for him.

Q. Were you surprised that Anthony Swarzak, obtained at low cost from Seattle, has turned into the new Andrew Miller?

A. I will say this. We thought Anthony Swarzak was much better than he’d pitched in Seattle. We thought there was upside there. We’d actually worked on trading for him in April, and we just couldn’t come to an agreement. We kind of stayed on it and continued to watch him, and we were able to get it done at the end of May. So I’d say this: We absolutely expected him to pitch better. Let’s not forget, going into 2018 he signed a big free-agent contract. He was valued in the industry, and he’d had good success in 2017. Now, with what he’s done for us, nobody would have expected that. I think everyone would be lying if (they said) they expected that. With our bullpen and our rotation, we thought we had a lot of talent, and there was upside to all of them. We also liked the flexibility of the bullpen where, if some guy’s not performing, a lot of guys had options; a lot of guys were on non-guaranteed deals. We had enough inventory that we could churn and circle and make changes – because the most volatile area in the game is the bullpen, year to year to year. When you start giving out a bunch of guaranteed contracts in the bullpen, and inevitably – which is bound to happen, unless you’re Mariano Rivera – there will be volatility of performance, and (if) you have guys on guaranteed deals for multiple years and they don’t perform, you’re stuck. You can’t option him. You’re likely not going to release a player who’s on a three-year deal. You’ve got no choice but to continue to pitch him, which makes things worse.Knowing there was volatility and upside, we liked having the flexibility. If we needed to turn over six of our eight relievers, not that that was part of the plan, we had the ability to do it without releasing guys on $10-million AAVs or three-year deals. We can survey the market, see who’s out there in trade, see who’s throwing well for us and make those changes.

Q. Will the bullpen again be an area you’ll try to address in the month ahead?

A. Everyone’s always looking. It’s the most challenging thing to get at the trade deadline because every team has that need. Same thing with a front-line starter. If you’re searching for a position player at the trade deadline, it’s team-specific. If we needed a second baseman or a left fielder, how many contenders are going to have those same needs? From a competitive negotiating standpoint, it’s a lot easier. Every contender can add a reliever, a quality one. Every contender can add a starter. We’ll explore that market. We did it last year, and those guys – both (Brad) Brach and Jonny Venters – had great success for us. If there’s opportunities, we’ll do it. We also really like the talent that we have. We’re very excited about Chad Sobotka. Before he went on the injured list with his oblique strain, we asked him to make a change to his mix, and he did it in his second inning of work, and then he went on the IL. And when he went down to Gwinnett – this is a guy who has historically walked a lot of guys – his numbers were 9-2/3, two walks, 16 strikeouts.

Q. What was the change?

A. I don’t want to get into too many details, but he’s got great stuff. I don’t know how long it’s going to last, but we just noticed some things we thought he could improve. In the same way, we thought Anthony Swarzak could improve. That doesn’t always work. We could say the same about the guys who are failing.

Q. Given that you’ve already moved for a starter with Keuchel, are you less apt to add another before the deadline?

A. It all depends on how well Gausman, Foltynewicz, Bryse Wilson, Kolby Allard, Kyle Wright, Weigel, those guys throw. We look at it through the lens of, “We need four starters for a playoff series.” Also you look at results. Our starters’ ERA is not where we need it to be. We’ve been able to overcome it because of our offense and our bullpen. When we went into the offseason, we really liked the (in-house) talent. The reason we targeted (Josh) Donaldson was we felt there was upside in our rotation and our bullpen because there were so many talented arms. Other than Austin Riley, we didn’t have anybody we felt could impact 2019 in terms of an impact bat. We didn’t know how (Ozzie) Albies was going to rebound from the second half he had – we were all optimistic on that – and Dansby Swanson (was) coming off the wrist. What if there’s a reoccurrence there? What if (Johan) Camargo doesn’t perform the same way he did? Over six months, we know we need to continue to have depth. From that standpoint, I would say rotation is right now … unless we have internal solutions and those guys start to perform, we’ll look outside to continue to get better.

Q. Are you getting what you’d hoped from Donaldson?

A. Yes. Our offense dipped in the second half of the year, (and that) carried over into the playoffs against L.A. Half of all run-scoring is via the home run. That’s just the reality of today’s game. We needed a middle-of-the-order bat. When we surveyed the free-agent market in terms of power, in our minds there was (Bryce) Harper, (Manny) Machado, Donaldson. That’s in terms of upside middle-of-the-order bats where we didn’t have to make a trade or give up a draft pick. That was by far the best deal for us – short-term, (he) plays defense. We had Camargo at third, but it allowed us to use Camargo in various ways; it gave us depth. And it’s a one-year deal. We paid an elevated AAV, no doubt about it, but the comparison for us was, we could go down the Machado path, $300 (million), or the Bryce Harper path at $330 (million). This made the most sense for us. With what he’s done – if you want to look at things like WAR, the complete player – he’s been very good, and he’s got upside to be even better.

Q. Is it hard to sit back and take criticism when the criticism basically is, “Oh, you don’t want to spend any money, and you don’t really care about winning”?

A. It’s not hard, and I say that with respect, not arrogance. As a younger GM, it’s hard. Initially, your first year, you’re reading everything, you’re seeing everything. And then you just realize it’s part of the job. You could be a Hall of Fame GM like John Schuerholz or Pat Gillick, and those guys are getting criticized. Everyone gets criticized. The best way to put it is … I save quotes in my phone. The best quote for me (checks phone) is Warren Buffett. I don’t invest in stocks and I’m not a finance guy, but I’m interested in his quotes and his life, and he has this: “You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you; you’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right. That’s the only thing that makes you right. And if your facts and reasoning are right, you don’t have to worry about anybody else.” I remember years ago, when I was in Toronto. I was going to a Maple Leafs game, and there was a lot of controversy – this would have been 2010 or 2011 – about a trade they had made. I was with a friend of mine, and we were debating it, and I was trying to explain the thought process of the GM and why he did it and why it made sense and why it may not have the effect everyone thought. And my friend’s response, and he doesn’t work in baseball operations, was: “I don’t care. It’s his job to be right.” There’s another quote. (Checks phone again.) Winston Churchill: “However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.” Your thought process might be right, everything might line up, but at the end of the day, you need to be right. That’s all that matters. I’ve been through offseasons where I’ve won the offseason as a GM, Las Vegas has us as the favorites and I’m lauded and applauded and everything’s great. Once that credit card bill comes due and it’s the middle of the summer, you’re getting criticized anyway. I just never believed in going through an offseason to try and create a halo effect. Ultimately, if you win, that’s all that matters. But I completely understand that you will be criticized when things don’t work out. That’s the reality of the job.

Coming Sunday: Anthopolous Part 2, in which Liberty Media and Craig Kimbrel are discussed.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-07-2019), Jaw (07-05-2019), JohnAdcox (07-08-2019), jpx7 (07-05-2019), nsacpi (07-05-2019), Southcack77 (07-05-2019), Tapate50 (07-05-2019), TURBO (07-05-2019), USMA76 (07-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    He keeps bringing up allard. I wonder if that's just bc he's trying to peddle him in a trade or he actually looks at him as a legitimate option going forward

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    One thing over Coppy that Anthopolous definitely has is a greater depth of experience. A second thing he has is more security in his job and autonomy over decisions.

I really like his answers in this interview. Thank you for posting it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We have enough talent. I can’t tell you what the performance is going to be, but we have as much upside as anybody. You look at who’s in Gwinnett right now, and you’ve got (Kevin) Gausman, who’s going to be there shortly; (Mike) Foltynewicz is down there; (Kolby) Allard; (Huascar) Ynoa’s got electric stuff; Kyle Wright’s throwing the ball well; Patrick Weigel just had a fantastic start. That being said, the ones who’ve been up here haven’t pitched to their ability.

It all depends on how well Gausman, Foltynewicz, Bryse Wilson, Kolby Allard, Kyle Wright, Weigel, those guys throw. We look at it through the lens of, “We need four starters for a playoff series.” ...Over six months, we know we need to continue to have depth. From that standpoint, I would say rotation is right now … unless we have internal solutions and those guys start to perform, we’ll look outside to continue to get better.

Those two quotes are the most revealing part of the interview. The team needs to be comfortable it has four starters pitching well going into the post-season. Based on where we are right now there are three: Soroka (3.10 FIP, 3.70 xFIP), Fried (3.81 FIP, 3.45 xFIP) and Keuchel (who has been solidly under 4.00 FIP and xFIP in recent years). We need one more. Could be Wilson, Folty or Gausman. One of them needs to show they can claim that fourth spot over the course of July.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-05-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He keeps bringing up allard. I wonder if that's just bc he's trying to peddle him in a trade or he actually looks at him as a legitimate option going forward
    Allard, Ynoa and Weigel were all mentioned. But I think those three are long shots in terms of being that fourth playoff starter in 2019.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Not that I have a lot of hope when it comes to Allard, but it sounds like the increased velocity is legit. Sitting in the low '90s and touching 95 has been reported from a number of people.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-05-2019), jpx7 (07-05-2019), UNCBlue012 (07-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I really enjoy listening to AA answer questions. It seems like he genuinely thinks about the questions and doesn't answer them with fluff. He may not get into may strategy details and that's good, IMO. But his answers are always very intelligent.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-05-2019), jpx7 (07-05-2019), UNCBlue012 (07-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Allard, Ynoa and Weigel were all mentioned. But I think those three are long shots in terms of being that fourth playoff starter in 2019.
    Yeah, but could one crack the pen? I think that's more likely than a starter this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Not that I have a lot of hope when it comes to Allard, but it sounds like the increased velocity is legit. Sitting in the low '90s and touching 95 has been reported from a number of people.
    Maybe we'll get a look at him again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yeah, but could one crack the pen? I think that's more likely than a starter this year
    Sure. They could be part of the mix along with guys like Sobotka, Dayton, Touki. It is pretty clear that the shuttle between the AAA and major league rosters will continue to be very busy.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Sure. They could be part of the mix along with guys like Sobotka, Dayton, Touki. It is pretty clear that the shuttle between the AAA and major league rosters will continue to be very busy.
    It would be pretty awesome if we could maintain this cushion in the division allowing us to get some of these guys spot starts in Atlanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I just how honest he is without letting anything slip.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't see any reason Ynoa or Weigel can't be used in the pen - whenever needed - with the stuff they have. Not sure Allard (or Julio for that matter) are legitimate options out there unless it was as long guys/emergency inserts in the event a starter gets hurt early in a playoff game or ambushed like Soroka did last night. It's one thing to have confidence in the offense and stick with him on July 4th, but will be entirely different in a short series with the Dodgers - get down 4 runs early without making a quick change to stop the bleeding, and you can likely write that game off since their offense is so good. They'll keep adding on when Philadelphia doesn't.

I do think he tipped his hand a little when it comes to who he's targeting for the pen. It really sounds like he's comfortable giving up talent for a rental or short-term guy to maintain flexibility, so you've gotta figure he's likely leaning toward Smith, Kennedy (if DMGM eats a bunch of money), or even Giles, instead of going after Hand or Vazquez.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It’s been clear for a while now to anyone paying attention to modern roster construction that the smart teams aren’t investing heavily into BP arms.

Anyone with half a clue understood the Braves were unlikely to do so this past offseason, and now that AA has came out and explicitly stated as much for those unable to see the obvious, maybe the silly posts suggesting the Braves will spend huge resources on the BP will stop

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It’s been clear for a while now to anyone paying attention to modern roster construction that the smart teams aren’t investing heavily into BP arms.

Anyone with half a clue understood the Braves were unlikely to do so this past offseason, and now that AA has came out and explicitly stated as much for those unable to see the obvious, maybe the silly posts suggesting the Braves will spend huge resources on the BP will stop
    The Cubs paid Kimbrel. Of course, their finances are different. And AA probably is smarter than Theo.

We also have significantly more pitching depth than the Cubs. Watching a guy like Sobotka shows this. He's a high upside bullpen arm. I'd be surprised if the Cubs have anyone like that in the upper minors. We have Sobotka, Ynoa, Weigel, Wilson, Wright, Allard. It could well turn out that our pitching depth in the upper minors comes into play this post-season. The next few months will serve as the audition.

We have enough talent. I can’t tell you what the performance is going to be, but we have as much upside as anybody. You look at who’s in Gwinnett right now, and you’ve got (Kevin) Gausman, who’s going to be there shortly; (Mike) Foltynewicz is down there; (Kolby) Allard; (Huascar) Ynoa’s got electric stuff; Kyle Wright’s throwing the ball well; Patrick Weigel just had a fantastic start. That being said, the ones who’ve been up here haven’t pitched to their ability. We’re going to take the month of July to really make that determination.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-05-2019 at 12:41 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    We can skip the name listing of Braves arms. I assure you I know them all.

The Cubs were one of the smartest teams ~5 years ago. Many teams have caught up and/or surpassed them though, as evidenced by the complete mismanagement of their organizational assets to the point the end of their competitive window is in clear sight.

I’ll stand by my comment that modern smart teams do not invest heavily in the BP. I’m sure someone will start an argument over the semantics of “heavily”, but it’s clear the Braves aren’t giving a FA BP arm 3 years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-05-2019 at 12:58 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I’ll stand by my comment that modern smart teams do not invest heavily in the BP.
    The Yankees are an exception. But their finances allow them to do this.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    The Yankees are an exception. But their finances allow them to do this.
    Isn't Jansen investing in pen for dodgers?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    It's kind of one of those --- well tell me who you think has a smart front office and let's look at their bullpen.

Teams with big payrolls who are in championships windows pretty much all have invested heavily in one way or the other in their bullpens.

The Dodgers have Jansen for 2/38 after this season, for example.

The oddest thing in this thread was the assertion that Theo Epstein maybe isn't so very smart any more. I guess winning titles with the Red Sox and Cubs just isn't as impressive as it was two years ago? They're still winning 95 games guys. Not everyone can be as good as John S. Most everyone else has to rebuild some time.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I really enjoy listening to AA answer questions. It seems like he genuinely thinks about the questions and doesn't answer them with fluff. He may not get into may strategy details and that's good, IMO. But his answers are always very intelligent.
    Agree 100%. It seems like he’s opened up a bit more this year. Doesn’t give away any strategy or anything, like you mentioned, but also doesn’t give canned responses. The bit about Sobotka is a good example. They saw something they could tweak and did, and he’s had much better results since. That’s a great nugget