Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Brian McCann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    Will there ever be another player to suit up just for the Braves for their entire career? I say Chipper will be the last one for a VERY long time if it even ever happens again...Guess they'll be making some new 'In My Own Words' episodes now that Hudson and BMac have exited.
    Good chance Phil Gosselin won't play for another major league team.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-30-2013), NYCBrave (12-02-2013), yeezus (11-30-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Will there ever be another player to suit up just for the Braves for their entire career? I say Chipper will be the last one for a VERY long time if it even ever happens again...Guess they'll be making some new 'In My Own Words' episodes now that Hudson and BMac have exited.
    It's not unique to the Braves. This has been the trend all around baseball. Rivera & Jeter for the Yankees. Helton for the Rockies. Then not many others.

Not sure why Hudson's name is mentioned in a discussion about playing an entire career with one team?

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I want to throw up.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    It's not unique to the Braves. This has been the trend all around baseball. Rivera & Jeter for the Yankees. Helton for the Rockies. Then not many others.

Not sure why Hudson's name is mentioned in a discussion about playing an entire career with one team?
    Well you don't know what will happen with guys late but there are a handful of guys signed to long term deals into their 30s, Utley, Rollins, Howard, Longoria, Pedroia, Zimmerman, Wright, and Mauer could all be one team players. ROllins I think is the least likely but who knows.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Sorry. 2 thoughts merged into 1 post. Meant BMac as the "lifetime Brave". Just also thinking about those guys picked to do the commercials and 'In My Own Words' shows on SportSouth and they always are fan-favorites (i.e. Chipper, Huddy, BMac, Heyward, et al). Now BMac, David Ross, Prado, Hudson, etc. all gone. Was wondering who will be the new "leaders" and "favorites". Not really mad about McCann or Huddy leaving but disappointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    I want to throw up.
    You need to find a pic with no beard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Sorry. 2 thoughts merged into 1 post. Meant BMac as the "lifetime Brave". Just also thinking about those guys picked to do the commercials and 'In My Own Words' shows on SportSouth and they always are fan-favorites (i.e. Chipper, Huddy, BMac, Heyward, et al). Now BMac, David Ross, Prado, Hudson, etc. all gone. Was wondering who will be the new "leaders" and "favorites". Not really mad about McCann or Huddy leaving but disappointed.
    No prob. Not what anybody wants to hear, but as thing currently stand, the vet leadership is....Uggla.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    No prob. Not what anybody wants to hear, but as thing currently stand, the vet leadership is....Uggla.
    I think medlen, freeman and heyward will be shouldering more of a leadership role. Heyward is our longest tenured position player. Medlen is our longest tenured pitcher. One thing though I don't think the leadership issue will be too bad because we have a pretty veteran team. Lots of 2-5 year experience guys. Shouldn't be as reliant on rookies as we were in the past.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Well you don't know what will happen with guys late but there are a handful of guys signed to long term deals into their 30s, Utley, Rollins, Howard, Longoria, Pedroia, Zimmerman, Wright, and Mauer could all be one team players. ROllins I think is the least likely but who knows.
    No question, but there's a varying level of quality among that group of names, too.

Utley was totally elite for those years, but are we going to witness a big send-off, if he announces his retirement a year in advance? Same for the other Phillies players. Wright is certainly on the way to a HOF career, but fans/writers aren't going to hold him with the lack of post-season appearances. Zimmerman's right behind him. Can see TB wanting to keep Longoria as "face of franchise," but considering the team-friendly deal he signed, who'd blame him if he wanted to explore FA after the deal expires?

Anyway...even if all them meet the profile, we all realize that it is not typical for superstars to stay with the team that drafted him through an entire career anymore. Sports Weekly had a nice article, over the summer, mentioning Chipper about another issue. Players don't have catchy nicknames anymore either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I think medlen, freeman and heyward will be shouldering more of a leadership role. Heyward is our longest tenured position player. Medlen is our longest tenured pitcher. One thing though I don't think the leadership issue will be too bad because we have a pretty veteran team. Lots of 2-5 year experience guys. Shouldn't be as reliant on rookies as we were in the past.
    Those three have already stepped up to show leadership. Freddie in the hugs department. Medlen in the staying hydrated department. And Heyward in the playing with a broken jaw department.