Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Braves trading for Stroman?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    "Wright is a bad pick who will probably be a setup man if anything in the majors"

Cajunrevenge June 2017

"Lol he thinks a player is a bust because of 20 MLB innings"

People on the internet

Please do tell me how his MLB innings in late 2017 affected my opinion of him in June of 2017 before he had even signed with the Braves.
    Pitchers bust, and Wright May very well bust.

Where are the quotes of you saying who you wanted instead?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I'm sure you watched a ton of his college starts lmao

No substance in any of your posts from then... nothing to back your opinion up besides just saying words. No scouting to back you up, no numbers, no anything... so why am I supposed to be impressed?
    Not my fight (for once), but this brings up a rather interesting question...

Exactly how many of Wright's college starts did you personally watch?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Absolutely. I'm still envisioning a Brad Komminsk/Albert Hall/Andres Thomas-centric dynasty.
    HoF outfield. Hess plays third or first?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-23-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not my fight (for once), but this brings up a rather interesting question...

Exactly how many of Wright's college starts did you personally watch?
    opinions were high from the overwhelming majority of people who did in fact watch his starts and scout him closely.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    opinions were high from the overwhelming majority of people who did in fact watch his starts and scout him closely.
    I was a huge fan of the Wright pick at #5, which is odd because I wasn't a fan at all of the Anderson pick at #3.

Logic dictates that if I wanted a position player like Lewis in favor of Anderson, I should have wanted a position player like Adell or Hiura in favor of Wright.

Maybe I'm too in love with college players (Lewis/Wright) due to some aversion to the risk of all HS players?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I was a huge fan of the Wright pick at #5, which is odd because I wasn't a fan at all of the Anderson pick at #3.

Logic dictates that if I wanted a position player like Lewis in favor of Anderson, I should have wanted a position player like Adell or Hiura in favor of Wright.

Maybe I'm too in love with college players (Lewis/Wright) due to some aversion to the risk of all HS players?
    Also my recollection is that Wright was rated to go higher and "dropped" to us at #5. While Anderson was rated lower and we seemingly "reached" to take him at #3. Not that I put much stock in the draft boards that get published. I think we wanted Senzel badly the year we took Anderson but he went at #2. Senzel IS the player we hope Riley develops into.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    HoF outfield. Hess plays third or first?
    It depends on whether Larvell Blanks is on the team or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It depends on whether Larvell Blanks is on the team or not.
    He would be my shortstop. Maybe Mike Lum at first and Hess at third.

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with my question.

zbhargrove - "I'm sure you watched a ton of his college starts lmao"

If you're basing your opinion on something you've read somewhere, just say it. Nothing at all wrong with that. Just stop trying to ridicule someone expressing an opinion when you personally didn't attend a bunch of his college starts either.

Lots of folks around here try to pawn themselves off as "experts" with information they got from someone else. Unfortunately they take it personally when you explain that you're capable of reading those reports too.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    And some people like to pawn themselves off as lifetime members of the Internet writers association and make blog posts suggesting the Braves could get Sale for Tyrell Jenkins...and then try to claim they “don’t really care” when others point out just how little they know.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

If you're basing your opinion on something you've read somewhere, just say it. Nothing at all wrong with that. Just stop trying to ridicule someone expressing an opinion when you personally didn't attend a bunch of his college starts either.

Lots of folks around here try to pawn themselves off as "experts" with information they got from someone else. Unfortunately they take it personally when you explain that you're capable of reading those reports too.

That's irrelevant to the discussion honestly. Cajun is the one that said he thought Wright would be a set-up man at best the day we drafted him. That is/was a highly irregular viewpoint that warrants criticism.

For example, I've watched zero starts of last year's No. 1 overall pick Casey Mize. If someone were to state that they think he's a future set up man at best, well I'd have to call them out on that, seeing as the the overwhelming consensus of baseball experts disagree with such a statement.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I wanted Adell from the first time I read about him. He was risky, but his ceiling was always what we're seeing now. And Wright's current struggles drive home the point that all draft picks are risky and there is no such thing as a floor that is above 'never becoming anything.' That's not to say Wright will never become anything, but it's certainly possible at this point.

Having said that, I was definitely ok with the Wright pick. When I wanted Adell badly, I didn't really think we had a good shot at Wright. I think I still would have preferred Adell over him, but I also felt like that was a potentially stupid opinion to have based on consensus.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Having seen a lot of Adell here in Louisville, the kid obviously had all the tools and potential but kid also had a lot of swing and miss in his bat. There were questions about his ability to consistently make contact. They have obviously helped in that regard so far in his career.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UofL_Braves View Post
    Having seen a lot of Adell here in Louisville, the kid obviously had all the tools and potential but kid also had a lot of swing and miss in his bat. There were questions about his ability to consistently make contact. They have obviously helped in that regard so far in his career.
    For sure, which is why he was risky. But those are precisely the guys I want to take chances on because when they hit, they are difference-makers.

I don't really care if we hit on 80% of our draft picks if hitting for them means they become an average-ish player.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

This is why most of the posters here have lost patience with you. You quote zbhargrove's post but leave out the second line, which is the key point:

"No substance in any of your posts from then... nothing to back your opinion up besides just saying words. No scouting to back you up, no numbers, no anything... so why am I supposed to be impressed? "

This is not difficult reasoning to follow. If cajunrevenge said something that disagreed with the more or less universal opinion of scouts at the time, he needs to back it up with a reason for the disagreement. In this case, Wright's stats were excellent, so he couldn't use those, and since he didn't cite any dissenting scouting reports, his only option left would've been scouting Wright himself, hence the zbhargrove post. On the other hand, zbhargrove was not disagreeing with the consensus, so he does not need to have watched any of Wright's college games.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rawwr For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-23-2019), Super (07-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    This is why most of the posters here have lost patience with you. You quote zbhargrove's post but leave out the second line, which is the key point:

"No substance in any of your posts from then... nothing to back your opinion up besides just saying words. No scouting to back you up, no numbers, no anything... so why am I supposed to be impressed? "

This is not difficult reasoning to follow. If cajunrevenge said something that disagreed with the more or less universal opinion of scouts at the time, he needs to back it up with a reason for the disagreement. In this case, Wright's stats were excellent, so he couldn't use those, and since he didn't cite any dissenting scouting reports, his only option left would've been scouting Wright himself, hence the zbhargrove post. On the other hand, zbhargrove was not disagreeing with the consensus, so he does not need to have watched any of Wright's college games.
    Wow it’s like every one in the board understands simple logic except for clv

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Wow it’s like every one in the board understands simple logic except for clv
    He knows which color playdoh tastes the best though.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (07-24-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He knows which color playdoh tastes the best though.
    Well that's obvious. Green>Red>Blue>Yellow>Pink>Purple while only miscreants eat orange playdoh. And Sparkly Playdoh>Non-Sparkles.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    cajun: The earth is flat!! I've said so since it was drafted!!

zb: hmm, that's not what every scientist in the world says, what scientific experiments have you done to prove this?

clv: derp...what scientific experiments have YOU done to prove it's round?

everyone: dafuq?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-23-2019), zbhargrove (07-24-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Sort of bummed we drafted a flat earth. Feels like a much lessor version of the round earth.
    Coppy