Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT 7/18/19: Bold strat vs the Gnats

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    At some point we have to leave Wright in the majors and see what he has.
    We did that at the beginning of the year. Didn’t work out so well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    At some point we have to leave Wright in the majors and see what he has.
    Opportunities do come along. But they have to be seized.

Touki got an opportunity in spring training. But he fumbled it. Opening the door to Fried who seized his opportunity.

Wilson and Wright had an opportunity early in the season. But they fumbled it. Opening the door to Soroka who seized it.

It's a results oriented business.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Not a fan of letting Riley rot away on the bench. He has too much potential not to be seeing regular PAs in AAA.

The series of roster moves we are about to see in the next 1-2 weeks will be very interesting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    still have 8 in the pen

and an extra position player (Riley) since we only have 4 starters on the roster (Teheran, Soroka, Keuchel, Wright)

on Sunday I'm guessing Gausman gets activated with Wright sent down

then we have an odd stretch of the schedule with days off sandwiching a 2-game series with the royals...we can get by with four starters until the July 30 game against the gnats
    Excellent take. Having a 5 man bench and an 8 man BP for the next 6 games is the best of both worlds.

The longer term goal could be to have Riley with the club when they play the Twins away on August 5th and need a DH. They could send Riley down to AAA on July 25th after the KC series, have him spend 10 days in AAA getting regular PAs, and call him back up on August 5th to help with the DH games.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2019), salmagundy (07-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not a fan of letting Riley rot away on the bench. He has too much potential not to be seeing regular PAs in AAA.

The series of roster moves we are about to see in the next 1-2 weeks will be very interesting.
    I bet he gets a start vs Corbin tomorrow. If not, yeah, he needs to be in AAA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Excellent take. Having a 5 man bench and an 8 man BP for the next 6 games is the best of both worlds.

The longer term goal could be to have Riley with the club when they play the Twins away on August 5th and need a DH. They could send Riley down to AAA on July 25th after the KC series, have him spend 10 days in AAA getting regular PAs, and call him back up on August 5th to help with the DH games.
    That Twins series comes at a good time because it is in the middle of a stretch of 17 games without a day off. Using Acuna and Freeman as the DH will allow us to keep their bats in the lineup while giving their legs a rest. I hope the FO gives Snit some firm guidance on what kind of rest various players need during this period.

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2019)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Yuge game for Stras..but on the bright side a multi hit game for Neck.Also expecting the Braves to be sellers as soon as we lose one of these next 4 games.
    Last edited by Buzzworm; 07-18-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Opportunities do come along. But they have to be seized.

Touki got an opportunity in spring training. But he fumbled it. Opening the door to Fried who seized his opportunity.

Wilson and Wright had an opportunity early in the season. But they fumbled it. Opening the door to Soroka who seized it.

It's a results oriented business.
    Maybe so but everybody develops at different times. Giving him 5 or 6 starts isn’t enough time to see what you really have. At some point you have to give him a few months worth of starts to see what you have. Especially of a top 5 pick.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Maybe so but everybody develops at different times. Giving him 5 or 6 starts isn’t enough time to see what you really have. At some point you have to give him a few months worth of starts to see what you have. Especially of a top 5 pick.
    Would agree except this isn't 2016 or 2017 anymore where we can afford to just give Folty/Wisler multiple starts to figure it out since we weren't going to compete anyways.

This is an established contender now as of last year. Now, let's say we build up a comfortable double digit lead in the division the next few weeks then I would definitely not be opposed to Wright getting starts in August and September. It would help rest Soroka, Fried... and if we're at a doubel digit division lead we're probably the solid #2 team in NL anywys for playoff seedings.
    Forever Fredi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Skeeter31 (07-18-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Can't exactly play that game when you have a guy giving up batting practice and other options (at least so we thought). While Fried has struggled some at times, it wasn't as absolutely trash as Wright looked against the Mets before getting optioned.

Maybe next year he'll be the guy that is left alone to start and is tolerable like Fried has mostly been.

Also, I think the game that's being played here POSSIBLY could be short bullpen until the deadline...at the very least until Webb can be activated (which isn't until the 26th).
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 07-18-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    But it wasn’t like his stuff was good and he was just getting bad results. His pitches weren’t MLB quality. Really hoping he’s made some adjustments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Sure. Players develop differently. Some guys stumble at the major league level but figure things out. I'm in favor of giving prospects like Wright multiple chances to prove themselves. I'm open minded that someone like Allard could add a bit to his stuff.

"I am your retribution."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Can't exactly play that game when you have a guy giving up batting practice and other options (at least so we thought). While Fried has struggled some at times, it wasn't as absolutely trash as Wright looked against the Mets before getting optioned.

Maybe next year he'll be the guy that is left alone to start and is tolerable like Fried has mostly been.

Also, I think the game that's being played here POSSIBLY could be short bench until the deadline...at the very least until Webb can be activated (which isn't until the 26th).
    I keep forgetting Webb is on IL. It will be nice to have him back as our bullpen is starting to round out (Ynoa's rough outing aside). Webb has been our second most reliable reliever after Luke Ray this year.

Going to be an interesting few weeks seeing if Gausman, Folty figure it out and now our depth chart slides back again.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    I keep forgetting Webb is on IL. It will be nice to have him back as our bullpen is starting to round out (Ynoa's rough outing aside). Webb has been our second most reliable reliever after Luke Ray this year.

Going to be an interesting few weeks seeing if Gausman, Folty figure it out and now our depth chart slides back again.
    Webb has been a bit lucky too. .233 BABIP against. Still he's a Golden Wren and all that.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2019), The Chosen One (07-18-2019)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Webb has been a bit lucky too. .233 BABIP against. Still he's a Golden Wren and all that.
    I feel so assured knowing the back end of our bullpen will be protected by the Golden Wrens of Sobotka and Webb for years to come.
    Forever Fredi

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2019), nsacpi (07-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I do agree that we can’t afford to let prospects learn on the job during a playoff chase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I have a lot of faith in the Braves. Hopefully this is a start because Wright is fixed and not just because we need it. I have **** on him consistently but only positive thoughts today until proven wrong! How about a big start from Wright today and he holds a rotation spot for the rest of the year!
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2019)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Hmm...looks like Riley will still be a regular?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Hmm...looks like Riley will still be a regular?

I think a few of us advocated on here for a platoon of sorts.

Ender in CF and Acuna in LF on days we sit Riley, and and Riley in LF and Acuna in CF on days we play Ender (usually against lefties) and have Ender be the perfect defensive replacement for CF in the late innings.

My ideal platoon would be platooning Riley and Markakis. That would assume we are getting a healthy Ender on defense and offense, and Acuna plays most of the games too. Only problem is it leaves less AB's for Joyce, Camargo, and Culbs, but Freeman and Donaldson should definitely be getting more off days in the home stretch so there's plenty of time for those guys to be getting in ABs.
    Forever Fredi

27. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Snit's comments are typical of Manager speak. Says 1 thing but in reality the play is far different. just like at the beginning of this season his comments about Camargo and how he was going to be used.