Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inciarte is back: what to look for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I wonder what AA does with Ender once Pache comes up whenever that is, either end of year or early next year to protect his clock.

I guess it also depends what he does with the other OF spot.
    I think he's going to focus on getting his value back up and then trade him in the off season

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I wonder what AA does with Ender once Pache comes up whenever that is, either end of year or early next year to protect his clock.

I guess it also depends what he does with the other OF spot.
    The linchpin is probably Donaldson. If Donaldson sticks around, my guess is Ender goes on the market and Riley heads to the OF for good (or at least for an extended term). Of course, Riley could go on the block as well in that scenario. It will depend on value determination in gauging returns. If Donaldson moves on, Riley moves back to 3B and Ender is the starting CF on Opening Day 2020. I want to see Pache, but I want him brought along in a way that maximizes team control and doesn't rush his development inordinately.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 08-08-2019 at 09:04 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    WWTDD? The Dodgers would keep Ender as a platoon option in the OF, and supplement the OF mix with a better RHH option. Same thing with picking up Markakis' cheap option. I expect the Braves to do the same.

Pache will be sitting in AAA next year ready to fill in the moment someone gets hurt and/or has a downturn, exactly like Verdugo sat in AAA piling up almost 900 PAs for the Dodgers until a spot opened up.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-08-2019 at 11:13 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-08-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    WWTDD? The Dodgers would keep Ender as a platoon option in the OF, and supplement the OF mix with a better RHH option. I expect the Braves to do the same.

Pache will be sitting in AAA next year ready to fill in the moment someone gets hurt and/or has a downturn.
    It also depends what would come in return, but Nick, Acuna, Duvall, Ender is a good outfield rotation for next year. I agree with the above, it kinda depends if JD's brought back or not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-08-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    WWTDD? The Dodgers would keep Ender as a platoon option in the OF, and supplement the OF mix with a better RHH option. Same thing with picking up Markakis' cheap option. I expect the Braves to do the same.

Pache will be sitting in AAA next year ready to fill in the moment someone gets hurt and/or has a downturn.
    The Braves have that guy in Duvall. They just need to finally go out and get a real cOF to pair with Acuna and Ender/Duvall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Braves have that guy in Duvall. They just need to finally go out and get a real cOF to pair with Acuna and Ender/Duvall.
    I disagree that Duvall is good enough to be in the 4 man OF mix, and I hope that slot is upgraded this off season. I also don't think Riley is good enough, and what happens in the OF is not at all contingent on JD coming back.

Good news is the rosters expand to 26 next year, and that extra spot probably has to be a position player. That means the Braves can have a 5 man bench again...5 total OFers and 6 total IFers.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    A guy like Puig would be ideal but he'll probably cost alot more than AA would be willing to offer.

And count me in on not being totally sold on Duvall, he's been pretty bad since his hot start. I hope his hot start wasnt enough for AA to not go out and get an outfielder.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I disagree that Duvall is good enough to be in the 4 man OF mix, and I hope that slot is upgraded this off season. I also don't think Riley is good enough, and what happens in the OF is not at all contingent on JD coming back.

Good news is the rosters expand to 26 next year, and that extra spot probably has to be a position player. That means the Braves can have a 5 man bench again...5 total OFers and 6 total IFers.
    Duvall is a plus defender that hits lefties well. I don't think you need anything more then that when pairing him with Ender. Neck needs to be replaced though.
    Last edited by thewupk; 08-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-08-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    A guy like Puig would be ideal but he'll probably cost alot more than AA would be willing to offer.

And count me in on not being totally sold on Duvall, he's been pretty bad since his hot start. I hope his hot start wasnt enough for AA to not go out and get an outfielder.
    Puig hits lefties worse than Duvall and is a lessor defender.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Puig, Pence, Ozuna...whoever doesn't have a QO and can be had on a 1-2 year deal is the most likely target for this FO.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Puig, Pence, Ozuna...whoever doesn't have a QO and can be had on a 1-2 year deal is the most likely target for this FO.
    Puig got traded so he cant get a QO, i doubt Pence gets one and i worry this year is kinda fluky.

I could see Ozuna get one though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Puig got traded so he cant get a QO, i doubt Pence gets one and i worry this year is kinda fluky.

Yeah, I'm not limiting the options to those 3 guys, even though my post kinda suggested I was.

I think they will go after a RHH OFer without a QO attached who is good enough to play everyday and will accept a 1-2 year deal.

With a 26 man roster, the OF mix will likely be the new guy, Acuna, Ender, Markakis, and someone in the Joyce/Duvall mold of a true 4th/5th OFer on the bench.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Pence is 36 year old negative defense cOF and is currently on a 2m dollar deal. I'd say it's pretty incredibly unlikely that he's going to get a QO.

Don't have a feel for the Cardinals finances, but they sure do seem to produce OFs and I'm not sure that they've really gotten what they expected out of Ozuna. I kind of expect him to not get a QO and be the big OF target on the market. Which probably counts the Braves out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Pence is 36 year old negative defense cOF and is currently on a 2m dollar deal. I'd say it's pretty incredibly unlikely that he's going to get a QO.

Don't have a feel for the Cardinals finances, but they sure do seem to produce OFs and I'm not sure that they've really gotten what they expected out of Ozuna. I kind of expect him to not get a QO and be the big OF target on the market. Which probably counts the Braves out.
    lol there is a 0% chance anyone has even thought of handing Pence a QO
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Recent word is that Inciarte is going to be back for the last week of September. That gives the Braves even less time to evaluate him for the post season roster than they had before the trade deadline.

At this point do we assume a healthy Ender is the 2nd best OFer on the roster, and play him in CF vs RHP if healthy regardless of what he shows in the last week of the season?

I lean towards yes.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Recent word is that Inciarte is going to be back for the last week of September. That gives the Braves even less time to evaluate him for the post season roster than they had before the trade deadline.

At this point do we assume a healthy Ender is the 2nd best OFer on the roster, and play him in CF vs RHP if healthy regardless of what he shows in the last week of the season?

I lean towards yes.
    I think the same type of signs that we were looking for we should be able to spot in the last week of the season. What is his sprint speed? What kind of jumps is he getting in the outfield? The Braves should easily be able to determine this and if it lines up with what he did after his first IL stint and what he's shown the last few years then it's a no brainier to me. With that being said I do think a Neck/Acuna/Joyce OF is going to be pretty good against righties anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think the same type of signs that we were looking for we should be able to spot in the last week of the season. What is his sprint speed? What kind of jumps is he getting in the outfield? The Braves should easily be able to determine this and if it lines up with what he did after his first IL stint and what he's shown the last few years then it's a no brainier to me. With that being said I do think a Neck/Acuna/Joyce OF is going to be pretty good against righties anyways.
    If Inciarte is back, the real question becomes Joyce vs Muk. Inciarte is better than either of those two.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The search continues for a RHH option in the OF. Snit is so desperate he has resorted to trying Camargo again.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If Inciarte is back, the real question becomes Joyce vs Muk. Inciarte is better than either of those two.
    Ender is better. But Joyce/Neck are more than capable against righties.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    At this point Joyce and Marakis are almost identical players. If Markakis is healthy he will almost certainly be playing.