Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I see it . . .

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthmilliu View Post
    There is a zero percent chance that he actually believes this nonsense. I mean at least we'd have pache left on the farm after all these clever moves. Depth is just a fancy concept that winning teams like the Dodgers fabricate. He talks about championships so would you rather have a 8-15%, might be high, chance of winning a championship for the next 10 years or just bust a nut and go for it and deplete the future for an extra 2-3% this year. Thus likely lowering your chance at championships in the future by a much greater percentage? If you would rather have the 2 championships that the Marlins had then there is a much better chance of accomplishing that by keeping an elite farm system in tact as their window is just opening.
    Testosterone level: 1...castrated mouse.

Depth is pretty much the only reason the Braves have a 6 game divisional lead.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthmilliu View Post
    I live in Cubs country and I can tell you they wouldn't shut the hell up about their dynasty getting started. That tune changed pretty quickly and most would tell you that their trades have been disastrous. They have very little help coming as they watch their team slowly decline/under perform.

Testosterone level: 0...shriveled earthworm

The Cubs all-in’d their way to another rebuild in a couple years. I hope Cubs fans enjoy pointing at the flag for 5 years while they rebuild.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

The Cubs all-in’d their way to another rebuild in a couple years. I hope Cubs fans enjoy pointing at the flag for 5 years while they rebuild.
    I'm sure they will.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Testosterone level: 1...castrated mouse.

Depth is pretty much the only reason the Braves have a 6 game divisional lead.
    Depth is why the Dodgers are great year in and year out. Maybe they wont ever win a WS in the next couple years, but they're good every year and with the depth they have, they'll always have a shot. Cant ask for more.

But gut the team for 1-2 WS runs then have to rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    It is rather enjoyable to watch their fans crawl back into their holes and no longer following their beloved team. But but but Chapman led us to a championship. Worst fans in sports. More so then the Phanatics.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts

I think they would rather point at that flag than hear about a 100 year curse anymore.

Raptors could suck and be bottom of East cellar dwellars for years but I think Toronto and rest of Canada will gladly be happy with that championship for a decade.

I do not agree that AA should have gone all in today. But let's not pretend that some Cubs fans are going to be that upset for losing the next few years when they are 3 years removed from winning it all.

As a biased fan, yes I would trade a few years off the competitive window if it means we won it all this year or next. The Braves had ****ty luck all throughout the 90s and early 2000s having some of the best teams with nothing to show for it. So if we somehow got lucky and won one this year, then were just in the borderline hunt for the WC the next few years I wouldn't be the most upset.

I was still watching this team in 2006-2009 and 2015-2017 when it wasn't the greatest time to watch.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    I think they would rather point at that flag than hear about a 100 year curse anymore.

Raptors could suck and be bottom of East cellar dwellars for years but I think Toronto and rest of Canada will gladly be happy with that championship for a decade.

I do not agree that AA should have gone all in today. But let's not pretend that some Cubs fans are going to be that upset for losing the next few years when they are 3 years removed from winning it all.

As a biased fan, yes I would trade a few years off the competitive window if it means we won it all this year or next. The Braves had ****ty luck all throughout the 90s and early 2000s having some of the best teams with nothing to show for it. So if we somehow got lucky and won one this year, then were just in the borderline hunt for the WC the next few years I wouldn't be the most upset.

I was still watching this team in 2006-2009 and 2015-2017 when it wasn't the greatest time to watch.
    That's the thing even after you go all in you still need some luck...Cubs almost lost to the Indians
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I do wonder if we should have made a competitive offer for Greinke given the fact that we are willing to take on Melancon's 14 mil next year. Greinke, Soroka and Keuchel is a pretty solid playoff rotation. And we still could have added the 2 less expensive relievers.
    thank you weso1!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-01-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I do wonder if we should have made a competitive offer for Greinke given the fact that we are willing to take on Melancon's 14 mil next year. Greinke, Soroka and Keuchel is a pretty solid playoff rotation. And we still could have added the 2 less expensive relievers.
    There is absolutely no way that I would have taken on 54 million of Greinke's contract while also beating the Astros offer of Martin, Rojas, Buskauskas, and Beer. To beat that would have been wayyyyyyyyy out of my comfort zone.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    There is absolutely no way that I would have taken on 54 million of Greinke's contract while also beating the Astros offer of Martin, Rojas, Buskauskas, and Beer. To beat that would have been wayyyyyyyyy out of my comfort zone.
    Sometimes that's what it takes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Threads like these are what keeps me coming back here. Great material all around.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (08-01-2019), Tapate50 (08-01-2019), The Chosen One (07-31-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    I think you have to push all your chips to the middle of the table when you're a smaller market team like we are.

I would much rather have the Marlins 1993-2003 than the Braves 1992-2005. Two world titles. Man.

This is just a basic difference in philosophy and I suspect it's not going to be popular.
    What happens when you go all in, and don't win? AA won my trust today by not gambling away anyone of consequence. He will go all in when the time is right.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-01-2019), Super (08-01-2019)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    This thread is one epic facepalm.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 08-01-2019 at 12:04 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    While I don’t agree with these specific trade proposals, I wouldn’t have minded the Braves aiming high for a true TOR SP and a platoon corner OF like Corey Dickerson (tho I suppose Duvall mitigates that need).

As Houston and LAD has shown in recent years, it tends to pay off to trade expendable prospect depth for elite players when you are clear division favorite.

With that said, Syndergaard, Will Smith and Vazquez seem like the only elite guys that were even remotely on the market with a salary we could afford. Obviously if the price tag was reasonable someone would have traded for them, so it’s hard to get too worked up about it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    "pushing all your chips to the middle of the table" in baseball guarantees you nothing except a bleak future.
    smart teams don't do it.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    While I don’t agree with these specific trade proposals, I wouldn’t have minded the Braves aiming high for a true TOR SP and a platoon corner OF like Corey Dickerson (tho I suppose Duvall mitigates that need).

As Houston and LAD has shown in recent years, it tends to pay off to trade expendable prospect depth for elite players when you are clear division favorite.

With that said, Syndergaard, Will Smith and Vazquez seem like the only elite guys that were even remotely on the market with a salary we could afford. Obviously if the price tag was reasonable someone would have traded for them, so it’s hard to get too worked up about it.
    Morosi said the Pirates wanted Dustin May and Ruiz from the Dodgers for Vazquez, thats probably Waters and Anderson from the Braves side. Thats a big fat no from me.

The Mets pulled Thor off trade talks. But given we're division rivals, i dont wanna imagine that prospect cost.

I would have tried for Will Smith, but the Giants didnt seem to make him available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I'm guessing AA had some budget left and he was hoping to use it on a different deal that fell through. He and his old friend Zaidi probably worked out an understanding that allowed the Melancon deal to happen in the event the other deal fell through.

"I am your retribution."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Why do we keep feeding this troll. All he wants is attention and people are so quick to fill ages upon pages with the attention he wants (and I know I’m feeding into it right now too, but I will also be blocking him going forward so I don’t have to listen to it anymore).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    "pushing all your chips to the middle of the table" in baseball guarantees you nothing except a bleak future.
    smart teams don't do it.

nsacpi's rules for sustainable success

1) Grow your own stars.

2) Use payroll to surround them with a good supporting cast.

3) To the extent you acquire top tier talent as part of the supporting cast, limit yourself to guys with 1-2 years left on their contracts.

"I am your retribution."