Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flags Fly Forever.....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    It seems as if AA wasn't BS'ing about trying to bring in both Kimbrel and Dallas.

He probably was trying to set up a 2 year deal with lower AAV for Craig, almost the same money he budgeted towards Melancon for next year.
    Seems to line up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    It seems as if AA wasn't BS'ing about trying to bring in both Kimbrel and Dallas.

He probably was trying to set up a 2 year deal with lower AAV for Craig, almost the same money he budgeted towards Melancon for next year.
    We're paying Melancon about 5M this year and 14M next. Kimbrel would have taken more. Significantly more. He got this from the Cubs: 10M this year and 16 next, plus the third year.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We're paying Melancon about 5M this year and 14M next. Kimbrel would have taken more. Significantly more. He got this from the Cubs: 10M this year and 16 next, plus the third year.
    We don't know how much money AA could have spent this year also if he still has some left. I thought Keuchel was maxing out the credit card and he was just giving fan service that he tried to sign both.

What I was referring to was.next year. The 16 mill vs 14 mill Melancon is getting isn't that big of a dent.

And yes, the Cubs giving a third year certainly pushed them over the finish line since AA only wanted to give a 2 year offer.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm thinking AA had enough 2019 cash to give CK $10M-$15M for 2019, and now that cash is being spread out over 2019 and 2020 towards Melancon.

When the Cubs came in with 3 years, they won the bidding and AA wasn't going to touch that price...for good reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm thinking AA had enough 2019 cash to give CK $10M-$15M for 2019, and now that cash is being spread out over 2019 and 2020 towards Melancon.

When the Cubs came in with 3 years, they won the bidding and AA wasn't going to touch that price...for good reason.
    The Braves went “above and beyond” their payroll budget for this season to remake their bullpen at the trade deadline, general manager Alex Anthopoulos said.

“We’re going to go a pretty significant chunk over our allocated budget for the current year to make these deals,” Anthopoulos said.

He said Braves chairman Terry McGuirk “gave me the approval very fast to do that, (and) I’m certainly grateful we were able to do that again, two years in a row.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...hPlGhoH2KVAwJ/

It's possible of course that McGuirk would have also approved the deal with Kimbrel. But its worth keeping in mind the $7M they took on this week went "above and beyond" budget.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    We also signed Lane Adams, so I'd definitely say we are going for those forever flags.
    Ivermectin Man