User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Looking ahead to the postseason roster

  1. #1
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    584
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 147 Times in 92 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking ahead to the postseason roster

    With the trade dead line passed and our new acquisitions on board I thought now would be a good time to look at the construction of the roster and how we may deploy it come playoff time.

    The Hitters

    Acuna
    Albies
    Freeman
    Donaldson
    Duvall
    McCann
    Swanson
    Inciarte

    Markakis
    Flowers
    Culberson
    Camargo
    Joyce

    Riley

    So I really like our everyday lineup. I know its not guaranteed but I really hope to see Nick back by the end of the season. Id like to see Duvall do enough to keep the job though. I believe the improved defense will help.

    Im concerned a bit with the bench. Flowers and Camargo have been rough and Joyce is slumping. Id be interested in picking up Lucroy to replace Flowers and Cabrera to replace Camargo.

    Riley I think ends up being the odd man out if the rest of the group is healthy.

    The pitchers

    Keuchel
    Soroka
    Folty
    Teheran

    Jackson
    Greene
    Meloncan
    Martin
    Newk
    Fried
    Swarzak
    Gausman

    As you can see there are quite a few questions about how to handle the pitching staff. The first one is what are we going to do with Fried? Would he be more valuable as a starter or a multi inning lefty option out of the pen?

    Next we need to know the fates of Gausman and Folty. Ideally come playoff time Id like to have both Gausman and Fried in the pen both for their stuff and length but to protect them as well. Of course if theyre not enough other arms to fill the rotation that discussion doesnt matter.

    I really like the potential strength of the pen but our rotation leaves something to be desired. Im not too sure what we do about at this point though so I guess we cross our fingers and hope for the best.

    What does everyone else think?

  2. #2
    It's OVER 5,000! cajunrevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    uranus
    Posts
    10,489
    Thanks
    3,170
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really need to explore using an opener. We have enough starters that we should be able to do this effectively. Depends on the team we face as to how exactly to set it up.
    "State power feeds on crisis and enemies"

    John T. Flynn 1944

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (08-05-2019),jpx7 (08-05-2019)

  4. #3
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    584
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 147 Times in 92 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    We really need to explore using an opener. We have enough starters that we should be able to do this effectively. Depends on the team we face as to how exactly to set it up.
    I definitely agree with you there especially if we dont either get 2018 Folty back or have one of our top prospects come up and start dominating.

  5. #4
    Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    7,526
    Thanks
    3,081
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 876 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though Duvall looks bad on sliders, he is not close to Riley level.

    He would adjust and his last two hits, both help us were nasty sliders.

    This was his problem in Cinncy as well at stages, but the dude does not want to go back to the minors again, you can see it in his eyes, hustle and now judgement.

    Riley is just lost at times, just need reps. Did not know he can play first base. He seems to be a player that need reps at a position until he knows he is a major leaguer. If the Dong wants a huge contract, let him walk. Then Seitzer need to spend a lot of time with Riley in recognizing sliders and cutters. He can catch up to a fastball, but it has a wrinkle, he guesses wrong most of the time.

    I know he played in Left field and had a few miscues, but he does have a cannon for an arm and just need more practice which he did not get.

    Acuna has a certified nuclear missile where ever he plays in the outfield. Dude one hops the catcher from the warning track, ON A LINE.

  6. #5
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,111
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 3,232 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the news of waters and pache being promoted, I think one of them is starting in the OF playoff game 1

  7. #6
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,325
    Thanks
    27,285
    Thanked 5,488 Times in 3,205 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    With the news of waters and pache being promoted, I think one of them is starting in the OF playoff game 1
    For Gwinnett, in the AAA playoffs.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  8. #7
    Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    161
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 69 Times in 33 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, with Snit’s track record, the second Markakis comes back he’ll be penciled in as a starter everyday.

  9. #8
    It's OVER 5,000! UNCBlue012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    13,723
    Thanks
    3,604
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    With the news of waters and pache being promoted, I think one of them is starting in the OF playoff game 1
    I would be absolutely shocked. One of them would have to go on an unprecedented tear in AAA to get a shot at it.
    "Can a man still be brave if he is afraid? That is the only time a man can be brave." - G.R.R.M (Game of Thrones)

    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald (G. Gatsby)

  10. #9
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,111
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 3,232 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    For Gwinnett, in the AAA playoffs.
    Nope. I doubt markakis is ready, and I think duvall crashes before then. The braves are the 2nd best team in the nl. Can't go in the playoffs with a glaring weakness when there's a viable option. Hopefully Duvall, Riley, or Markakis allow us to keep both of pache and waters down, but I doubt it at the moment

    ETA... and think about it, AA didn't get an outfielder at the deadline with no options available now other than pache/waters. I doubt seriously AA left duvall down all year, and all-the-sudden had a change of heart about him. Less than a week later, waters and pache are in AAA. If one of them continues to hit...
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-05-2019 at 07:24 AM.

  11. #10
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    12,273
    Thanks
    1,466
    Thanked 3,536 Times in 2,118 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be shocked if Pache or Waters finds the bigs before August 31st cutoff. This is our mix of guys we will battle with.
    Coppy

  12. #11
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,027
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 894 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Nope. I doubt markakis is ready, and I think duvall crashes before then. The braves are the 2nd best team in the nl. Can't go in the playoffs with a glaring weakness when there's a viable option. Hopefully Duvall, Riley, or Markakis allow us to keep both of pache and waters down, but I doubt it at the moment

    ETA... and think about it, AA didn't get an outfielder at the deadline with no options available now other than pache/waters. I doubt seriously AA left duvall down all year, and all-the-sudden had a change of heart about him. Less than a week later, waters and pache are in AAA. If one of them continues to hit...
    They'd have to be added to the 40 man roster. After the purge we just had at the deadline, I really doubt AA is willing to cut anyone else, so unless someone is moved to the 60 day IL, we won't have an opening. Parsons is probably the likely culprit in such a scenario, but again, I highly doubt it happens.

    AA left Duvall down because he wasn't needed until recently. It's hard to justify sending Riley down when he was tearing up the league. And you certainly aren't getting rid of Joyce since he is the best LH bat on the bench. Camargo and Culberson likewise, have position versatility. There simply wasn't a spot for him until Neck went down with injury.

    Duvall has a good track record of hitting and, by all accounts, his 2018 can largely be attributed to health issues. It's very likely he's back to his pre-2018 self, which is a starting caliber OFer. No one is going to confuse him with Aaron Judge, but he's a solid starting OFer.

  13. #12
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,027
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 894 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, unjinx.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (08-05-2019)

  15. #13
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,668
    Thanks
    3,442
    Thanked 5,508 Times in 3,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray-Patrick Didder has been on a tear the last couple of weeks. That's going to continue and Dansby's injury will be considered more serious that initially thought. Camargo continues to struggle. The Notorious RPD is added to the 40-man and becomes the Braves' starting SS. He has a blistering September that continues through the playoffs and he's named the NLDS and WS MVPs!

  16. #14
    It's OVER 5,000! Tapate50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,674
    Thanks
    4,982
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Ray-Patrick Didder has been on a tear the last couple of weeks. That's going to continue and Dansby's injury will be considered more serious that initially thought. Camargo continues to struggle. The Notorious RPD is added to the 40-man and becomes the Braves' starting SS. He has a blistering September that continues through the playoffs and he's named the NLDS and WS MVPs!
    Hitting him lead off and having him step into every pitch he sees is a real weapon.
    "No thanks, I'd rather sit in the balcony" - Abe Lincoln

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

    buck75 (08-05-2019),jpx7 (08-05-2019),UNCBlue012 (08-05-2019)

  18. #15
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    25,802
    Thanks
    1,999
    Thanked 9,058 Times in 5,764 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an interview about a month ago, AA dwelled on starting pitching. He tried at the deadline, but couldn't find a starter at a reasonable price. AA said he wanted four starting pitchers he could have confidence in. At the time he game the interview he said there were only two he had confidence in--Soroka and Keuchel.

    Not much has changed since then, except maybe Fried building a bit of a case for himself. With external options are no longer available, I think the front office has a plan to allow the starting pitching candidates every opportunity to step forward. This includes the guys in AAA. And Gausman and Teheran in the majors. I think those two will be kept in the rotation until rosters expand.

    Once rosters expand it will be the five who are pitching best, and that could include one or two currently pitching in AAA. August and September are audition time for the starters. AA is looking for one or two to step forward and claim a spot in the post-season rotation.
    It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning. Senator Bob Corker

  19. #16
    It's OVER 5,000! zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,283
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Nope. I doubt markakis is ready, and I think duvall crashes before then. The braves are the 2nd best team in the nl. Can't go in the playoffs with a glaring weakness when there's a viable option. Hopefully Duvall, Riley, or Markakis allow us to keep both of pache and waters down, but I doubt it at the moment

    ETA... and think about it, AA didn't get an outfielder at the deadline with no options available now other than pache/waters. I doubt seriously AA left duvall down all year, and all-the-sudden had a change of heart about him. Less than a week later, waters and pache are in AAA. If one of them continues to hit...
    Ummmm.... no

  20. #17
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks
    429
    Thanked 486 Times in 320 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish we had some speed off the bench. Pinch runners in the playoffs can pay dividends in the late innings and we're now running out Fried as our pinch runner when Ender is starting.

  21. #18
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,111
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 3,232 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I wish we had some speed off the bench. Pinch runners in the playoffs can pay dividends in the late innings and we're now running out Fried as our pinch runner when Ender is starting.
    Lane Adams was signed, pretty sure anyway

  22. #19
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16,111
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 3,232 Times in 2,084 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    They'd have to be added to the 40 man roster. After the purge we just had at the deadline, I really doubt AA is willing to cut anyone else, so unless someone is moved to the 60 day IL, we won't have an opening. Parsons is probably the likely culprit in such a scenario, but again, I highly doubt it happens.

    AA left Duvall down because he wasn't needed until recently. It's hard to justify sending Riley down when he was tearing up the league. And you certainly aren't getting rid of Joyce since he is the best LH bat on the bench. Camargo and Culberson likewise, have position versatility. There simply wasn't a spot for him until Neck went down with injury.

    Duvall has a good track record of hitting and, by all accounts, his 2018 can largely be attributed to health issues. It's very likely he's back to his pre-2018 self, which is a starting caliber OFer. No one is going to confuse him with Aaron Judge, but he's a solid starting OFer.
    Well, AA could've went with Duvall over Riley when Riley was promoted. Duvall was crushing at the time too

  23. #20
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    25,802
    Thanks
    1,999
    Thanked 9,058 Times in 5,764 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well, AA could've went with Duvall over Riley when Riley was promoted. Duvall was crushing at the time too
    Riley was crushing more.
    It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning. Senator Bob Corker

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •