Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Zito, those groceries are coming from America.

If walmart wasn't in the position they are in, some other company would be in that position doing the same exact things that walmart does. Every company looks for every loophole that they can use for Thier advantage. Companies have to
    No they aren't. Some are but not many. Hell groceries at most grocery stores don't comefrom America, read the labels on them. IIRC a lot of fruits and vegetables at big chains like that except for from peak season come from south america. I've never been to Walmart and looked at their produce and said man does that look good. Of course I regularly shop at Farmers Markets and Co-ops so I'm used to good looking produce that isn't pumped full of nastiness.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Ahh yes. Wal Mart, the company that's pretty much started the entire start Black Friday on Thanksgiving trend now. A few years ago they opened at 11pm. Then they opened at 8pm. Then at 4pm. Now they're open at noon. Next year they'll probably just be open the entire day.
    Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Having said all of that, even if all your 6 claims are 100% left, I'm not sure how you can compare the "evilness" to somebody like Bin Laden
    bin laden knocked down some buildings and killed 3000 people or so

the long term negative affects of wal mart are way greater to the country as a whole in my eyes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post

the long term negative affects of wal mart are way greater to the country as a whole in my eyes
    "Mr Peabody's coal train
    has hauled it
    away"

///

just noticed I hit
    #500 -- when I hit 500 on the old board IO sent me a PM congratulating me.
    I'm sure quoting John Prine on this 500th would have made him smile
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-28-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    This thread reminded me of a nice black friday deal Walmart was having. Thanks for the reminder steak sauce. Just bought something online.
    thank you weso1!

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    "Mr Peabody's coal train
    has hauled it
    away"

///

just noticed I hit
    #500 -- when I hit 500 on the old board IO sent me a PM congratulating me.
    I'm sure quoting John Prine on this 500th would have made him smile
    you know Mr Prine is still alive, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Should have stuck with "ha ha" as this is quite possibly the worst defense of an absurd opinion that I've ever read. First, you're simplifying the effect Bin Laden has had on the US to hilariously simplistic levels just to fit your agenda. We are at war with Al Qaeda and we wouldn't be if it weren't for Bin Laden. This has had a hugely negative impact on the US. And the way you gloss over the impact of 9/11 is akin to saying, well Hitler just killed a few people and invaded some countries. Clearly the effect of the bombings was much worse than you imply.

But the main problem is that you're comparing verifiable facts with your opinions. I mean it's unquestionable fact that Bin Laden had a significant negative impact on the US. It's debatable that Walmart even has a net negative impact on the US at all.

Now, is it possible that your statement is true? Yes, but flatly stating it as fact is silly.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you know Mr Prine is still alive, right?
    Heard the other day he's been diagnosed with lung cancer. Can't say prognosis -- but he is in his 70's I think

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    My neighbor works at Walmart as a cashier. She told me that anyone working today is getting double pay and gets 1 day of shopping for 25% before Christmas… THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    My neighbor works at Walmart as a cashier. She told me that anyone working today is getting double pay and gets 1 day of shopping for 25% before Christmas… THOSE BASTARDS!!!!
    That double pay is pennies to what Wal-Mart is going to bring in after their sales. Where do you think that extra pay is going to go? Oh wait you said 1 day of shopping for 25% before Christmas? It's going to go RIGHT back to Wal-Mart's pockets! What a genius idea! Have people work and "pay" them extra, when you know they're going to invest it right back into the company!

And holiday pay is usually just overtime rate. That's a requirement if I'm not mistaken.

And the fact of the matter is, it's the principle and moral of asking someone to work on a holiday that's meant to be about giving thanks.

Sooner or later, Christmas will be just another day of the year.

But for some of you, it's all about competing and making as much money as possible.

The guy who managed Pizza Hut and closed it down because he didn't want his workers to have to work on this day, got fired by the franchisee and was re-hired by corporate. Great PR stunt by corporate, don't want to look like complete bastards.

Also, chances are if your neighbor is a cashier at Wal-Mart, they're probably not the brightest to begin with so they probably think they're getting double pay when in reality they're likely not.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I can't believe some of you actually condone corporations making people work on what has traditionally been a day to spend with family. Like I said, Christmas is next.

And you say liberals are destroying this country? This is capitalism at some of it's worst. No moral or principle, it's just about the bottom dollar and whoever disagrees is just going to fall behind in the line.

It's not about that. If you're going to fight for Wal Mart's freedom to be open because the "market" demands it (which is stupid, because it just shows if you feed the mob blood, the mob will keep drinking), then don't pretend you give two ****s about the people who work for Wal-Mart to begin with and tout Wal-Mart as a great company that provides a service of giving low prices to people. Because we're seeing the cost of those low prices in the form of destroying a family tradition. It's disgusting, and the fact some of you look the other way on this issue because Wal-Mart has the right to make a huge profit is even more disgusting.
    Forever Fredi

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Do you condone local businesses making their employees work on holidays because I stopped at about 5 of them today.

This isn't a big corporation, Wal-Mart problem...everything is open today. Everyone's favorite tradition - the NFL on Thanksgiving - requires the hard work of thousands of people that aren't athletes getting paid 7 figures (concession workers, security, all the people involved in producing the games for tv, etc). I'm assuming you turned off your tv in protest today? You're a better man than me.
    Last edited by acesfull86; 11-28-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I do not want to be in the business of telling people or corps how much money they can make.

It is a freedom of choice to either shop, not shop, work or not work there. People have spoken and people continue to do both. Go get y'all a picket sign and go picket tomorrow am instead of whining like a bunch of hens on a niche sports forum.

Walmart and bin laden... Wow. I have heard a lot in my day, but that takes the cake ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I do not want to be in the business of telling people or corps how much money they can make.

It is a freedom of choice to either shop, not shop, work or not work there. People have spoken and people continue to do both. Go get y'all a picket sign and go picket tomorrow am instead of whining like a bunch of hens on a niche sports forum.

Walmart and bin laden... Wow. I have heard a lot in my day, but that takes the cake ....
    Consider the source. I wasn't surprised.
    Natural Immunity Croc

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Do you condone local businesses making their employees work on holidays because I stopped at about 5 of them today.

This isn't a big corporation, Wal-Mart problem...everything is open today. Everyone's favorite tradition - the NFL on Thanksgiving - requires the hard work of thousands of people that aren't athletes getting paid 7 figures (concession workers, security, all the people involved in producing the games for tv, etc). I'm assuming you turned off your tv in protest today? You're a better man than me.
    Small business following the lead of big business.

Small business can't compete with big business if they take a day off that big business will capitalize on. Another example of Wal-Mart destroying small business, by forcing them to open up.

Those football games, the people working are not working the entire day.

Once again, some of you guys look away while the train wreck occurs. You simply say the people have spoken and want Wal Mart to be open. That's not the point. Like I said before, you feed the mob blood, and the mob will continue to drink. It's interesting when the majority of Americans actually at some point supported universal healthcare before the GOP painted it in a bad light, the conservatives played the tyranny of the majority card. But yet because Wal-Mart is a private company and does this, we have to respect their right to do so.

The reason why we have federal holidays and national holidays, is so people COULD get the day off. I was ok with Black Friday years ago opening at 3-4-5 AM on FRIDAY. People were out shopping then too. But because people are still shopping that makes it ok?

It's amazing how you tout the free market whenever the "people" decide which is the best product, but when it comes to doing the right thing and the people get it wrong you won't stand up and say anything.

McDonalds only opened up on Thanksgiving because they realized since all the other retailers were following Wal-Mart's lead of opening on Thanksgiving, they were missing out too. It's not all about the money, it's about doing what's right. Thanksgiving and Christmas were the TWO guaranteed days on the calendar people could get away from work and spend the day with their families. Even if you didn't celebrate them on religious grounds they were pretty much guaranteed off days. Now that corporate America is on the cusp of exploiting both of those holidays on the exact days and not just the days surrounding them, you guys just look the other way because "the people want it". If school boards forced kids to go to school on Christmas sighting it being a religious holiday and no longer applicable, some of you would claim attack on Christianity in a heartbeat. Wal Mart wants people to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas? No biggie, that's what the "market" demands.

You'll stand up for the right to bear arms, cutting entitlements, but you won't stand up for average people getting screwed over by the hand that feeds them because they should be happy the hand is feeding them to begin with and holding all the cards. And when they try to voice their concern and fight back, you simply throw it in their face by saying "If you don't like it, someone else will do it". That's every corporations dream is when their consumer loses compassion for the worker, and has the same attitude of "you're easily replaceable".
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Cool, so YOU want to decide what/where/when the mob drinks?

Hm. That sounds worse than A business choosing when where they want to run their own business.

I see you didn't shut the site down today... You should have decided we couldn't post today because it was better for us and getting family time .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Small business following the lead of big business.

It's amazing how you tout the free market whenever the "people" decide which is the best product, but when it comes to doing the right thing and the people get it wrong you won't stand up and say anything.

You'll stand up for the right to bear arms, cutting entitlements, but you won't stand up for average people getting screwed over by the hand that feeds them because they should be happy the hand is feeding them to begin with and holding all the cards. And when they try to voice their concern and fight back, you simply throw it in their face by saying "If you don't like it, someone else will do it". That's every corporations dream is when their consumer loses compassion for the worker, and has the same attitude of "you're easily replaceable".
    My two cents? It's real simple -- it isn't them that is being "asked" to work a holiday with a gun to their head.
    Wait until ...

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Cool, so YOU want to decide what/where/when the mob drinks?

Hm. That sounds worse than A business choosing when where they want to run their own business.

I see you didn't shut the site down today... You should have decided we couldn't post today because it was better for us and getting family time .
    Yeah, I forgot the part where I was pulling in hundreds of dollars today. Oh wait nevermind.

Excellent comparison. We've been reduced to comparing spending a few minutes of leisure time on a website that has no profit, to corporations sticking it to the average joe by exploiting what's traditionally a family holiday to earn millions in profit today.
    Forever Fredi

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post

Those football games, the people working are not working the entire day.
    Come on, now we're just getting silly. Whether that's true or not, what's your acceptable cutoff for how long people are allowed to work on days you feel should be designated to family time? If it's OK for the parking attendant at Dallas' stadium to work a 5 and 1/2 hour shift because the people want football with their turkey, is it OK for the Wal-Mart to have their cashiers work 5 and 1/2 hour shifts because the people want discount laptops once they've digested their meals?

Commerce takes two to tango. I don't blame producers anymore than I blame consumers. Actually, I don't blame anyone because I don't think anyone deserves blame.

BTW, there is one ginormous difference between universal healthcare and Wal-Mart...the entire country isn't forced to go to Wal-Mart. I don't know why this distinction needs to be made on seemingly a daily basis.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Keith is going off the rails here…

By the way, when you said my neighbor "isn't that smart" because she works at Walmart, you're basically proving our points… Why should Walmart be forced to offer great pay and health care to not smart and unskilled workers?

Oh an one last thing… the folks who work at these places love the opportunity to work these holidays specifically for the extra pay. My neighbor voluntarily took a double shift today (4 pm to 6 am) because she wanted the money. I used to work at Target, and I always wanted the holiday shifts cause I wanted the money. I can assure you, WM doesn't have to "force" many folks to work these shifts.