Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

1st Trip to NYC

So I'm taking the wife to NYC at the end of the month for her 30th bday. It's the 1st time either of us have been to the Big Apple. We are putting together an itinerary for a 4 night stay. Anyone have any suggestions on things to do, when to do them, or places to eat?

I'll be buying a subway pass as I'm sure we'll be taking the subway everyday. I checked out some city passes, but they seem expensive and include several things we probably won't do, so I'm not sure we're really getting our money's worth there. We definitely want to see the main attractions like the 9/11 Memorial/Muesem, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Central Park, Empire State Building, and the Rockefeller Center.

As far as food, the only places I've been told are must tries are John's on Bleeker and Keens steakhouse. What are some other must try restaurants? We aren't picky.

As of now, we're focusing our trip mainly on Midtown and lower Manhattan, but does anyone have any suggestions on what things to do in other neighborhoods like Brooklyn or the Bronx?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    [MENTION=7]thethe[/MENTION] , [MENTION=6]zitothebrave[/MENTION] , [MENTION=155]NYCBrave[/MENTION] , I know you guys are from that general area. Any suggestions from you?
    Last edited by Carp; 08-07-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Ivan Ramen. It's my go to favorite in New York. Dude grew up on Long Island, moved to Tokyo, eventually opened a Ramen shop in Tokyo before moving back to NY to open his shop. I like the Slurp Shop myself as it's in Gotham Market so there are other food places you can try if you want, or in my case, grabbing some icecream before leaving.

Last time we went to NYC, it was for the Tolkien exhibit at The Morgan Library and Museum and it was amazing, though that exhibit is long gone. But it's a great museum. I mean I'm the city guy who just wanders around a city and finds things to do. Even though it will be expensive, you should go to a Broadway show of some sort, you should go to Times Square at night, just to experience it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'd love to see Hamilton, but all the tickets I've seen advertised are still $200 or more. I don't need to see it that bad.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Broadway is pretty expensive, Hamilton is still a huge draw.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I like off the beaten path places, so Roosevelt Island is where I'd go for sure. It's quiet, not crowded and has an awesome view of the Manhattan skyline. Nice Japanese restaurant there that looks popular and reasonably priced.

The Braves are in town for the 23rd to the 25th, but I'm sure you know that.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The wineries on Long Island are absolutely beautiful this time of the year. If you guys are into wine I highly recommend. Manhattan can be very overbearing if you are not from a big city.

LIRR is not cheap but its a good way of travel out east.

The other attractions I'd see:

Bronx zoo
    Brooklyn Aquarium
    Brooklyn Botanical Gardens

Hard to pack it all into one trip. I'm not a huge fan of the city personally but there is a bunch to see in Manhattan as you've noted. Off Broadway shows are fantastic and are much more affordable.
    Last edited by thethe; 08-08-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I like off the beaten path places, so Roosevelt Island is where I'd go for sure. It's quiet, not crowded and has an awesome view of the Manhattan skyline. Nice Japanese restaurant there that looks popular and reasonably priced.

The Braves are in town for the 23rd to the 25th, but I'm sure you know that.
    Yes, but unfortuntely we'll be there 8/30-9/3. Thanks for the info.