Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Trip to NYC

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts

1st Trip to NYC

So I'm taking the wife to NYC at the end of the month for her 30th bday. It's the 1st time either of us have been to the Big Apple. We are putting together an itinerary for a 4 night stay. Anyone have any suggestions on things to do, when to do them, or places to eat?

I'll be buying a subway pass as I'm sure we'll be taking the subway everyday. I checked out some city passes, but they seem expensive and include several things we probably won't do, so I'm not sure we're really getting our money's worth there. We definitely want to see the main attractions like the 9/11 Memorial/Muesem, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Central Park, Empire State Building, and the Rockefeller Center.

As far as food, the only places I've been told are must tries are John's on Bleeker and Keens steakhouse. What are some other must try restaurants? We aren't picky.

As of now, we're focusing our trip mainly on Midtown and lower Manhattan, but does anyone have any suggestions on what things to do in other neighborhoods like Brooklyn or the Bronx?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    [MENTION=7]thethe[/MENTION] , [MENTION=6]zitothebrave[/MENTION] , [MENTION=155]NYCBrave[/MENTION] , I know you guys are from that general area. Any suggestions from you?
    Last edited by Carp; 08-07-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Ivan Ramen. It's my go to favorite in New York. Dude grew up on Long Island, moved to Tokyo, eventually opened a Ramen shop in Tokyo before moving back to NY to open his shop. I like the Slurp Shop myself as it's in Gotham Market so there are other food places you can try if you want, or in my case, grabbing some icecream before leaving.

Last time we went to NYC, it was for the Tolkien exhibit at The Morgan Library and Museum and it was amazing, though that exhibit is long gone. But it's a great museum. I mean I'm the city guy who just wanders around a city and finds things to do. Even though it will be expensive, you should go to a Broadway show of some sort, you should go to Times Square at night, just to experience it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    I'd love to see Hamilton, but all the tickets I've seen advertised are still $200 or more. I don't need to see it that bad.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Broadway is pretty expensive, Hamilton is still a huge draw.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts
    I like off the beaten path places, so Roosevelt Island is where I'd go for sure. It's quiet, not crowded and has an awesome view of the Manhattan skyline. Nice Japanese restaurant there that looks popular and reasonably priced.

The Braves are in town for the 23rd to the 25th, but I'm sure you know that.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,894 Posts
    The wineries on Long Island are absolutely beautiful this time of the year. If you guys are into wine I highly recommend. Manhattan can be very overbearing if you are not from a big city.

LIRR is not cheap but its a good way of travel out east.

The other attractions I'd see:

Bronx zoo
    Brooklyn Aquarium
    Brooklyn Botanical Gardens

Hard to pack it all into one trip. I'm not a huge fan of the city personally but there is a bunch to see in Manhattan as you've noted. Off Broadway shows are fantastic and are much more affordable.
    Last edited by thethe; 08-08-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I like off the beaten path places, so Roosevelt Island is where I'd go for sure. It's quiet, not crowded and has an awesome view of the Manhattan skyline. Nice Japanese restaurant there that looks popular and reasonably priced.

The Braves are in town for the 23rd to the 25th, but I'm sure you know that.
    Yes, but unfortuntely we'll be there 8/30-9/3. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Speaking of Ramen. I have one word for you. Momofuku.

There are lots of great places for just strolling around. Central Park obviously. But for walking and taking in the vibe, I like Chinatown, Tribeca, Union Square, the Village around Christopher Street (you and the wife should visit some of the leather shops).

For theater, off broadway and off off broadway are generally more rewarding than the big shows everyone wants to go to. Obviously you want to do research and go to a play you will have interest in. I have fond memories of matinees in stifling hot un-airconditioned theaters with just 15 people in attendance, and half of them were usually blue haired ladies sitting in the front. But the quality of the acting and production will be very high. You have to remember NY is crammed with extremely talented artistic types waiting for their big breaks.

And try to spend a little time in Brooklyn. Some of the neighborhoods are really beautiful. I love the area around Carroll Gardens. Park Slope too. Brooklyn is the Jewish capital of America and many of the temples are worth visiting.

And by all means take the subway at 2 or 3 in the morning. You will see the city at its most interesting.

One more thing. If you or your wife are chocoholics: MarieBelle on Broome Street. You can just buy something and leave, or better yet there is a little sit down area in the back and you can order something to eat and drink from the menu.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-08-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-09-2019), The Chosen One (08-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,894 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Speaking of Ramen. I have one word for you. Momofuku.

There are lots of great places for just strolling around. Central Park obviously. But for walking and taking in the vibe, I like Chinatown, Tribeca, Union Square, the Village around Christopher Street (you and the wife should visit some of the leather shops).

For theater, off broadway and off off broadway are generally more rewarding than the big shows everyone wants to go to. Obviously you want to do research and go to a play you will have interest in. I have fond memories of matinees in stifling hot un-airconditioned theaters with just 15 people in attendance, and half of them were usually blue haired ladies sitting in the front. But the quality of the acting and production will be very high. You have to remember NY is crammed with extremely talented artistic types waiting for their big breaks.

And try to spend a little time in Brooklyn. Some of the neighborhoods are really beautiful. I love the area around Carroll Gardens. Park Slope too. Brooklyn is the Jewish capital of America and many of the temples are worth visiting.

And by all means take the subway at 2 or 3 in the morning. You will see the city at its most interesting.

One more thing. If you or your wife are chocoholics: MariBelle on Broome Street. You can just buy something and leave, or better yet there is a little sit down area in the back and you can order something to eat and drink from the menu.
    Chocolate Room in Park Slope is a winner.

BK is what you say - Just don't expect to have your sanity driving in those areas.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    The best view of Lower Manhattan is from Jersey City. Take the PATH train from World Trade Center and get off at the first stop, Exchange Place. I believe there is also a ferry you could take.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    my favorite city in the world

i don't know what you are exactly looking for or vibe you are looking for but spots i love:

Peter Lugers in Brooklyn, Russ and Daughters, Aquagrill for oysters, Momofuku noodle bar, Katz’s delicatessen and if out late go to Wo Hop for big chinese dishes in a basement that will serve ya beer till the sun comes up if ya want

Bars: Lucy's, 7B horseshoe bar, Mcsorley's, The Gutter

off the top of my head without it being crazy

i always stay with a friend and go out with her and sometimes forget to check in to keep a list of some spots i have dug there.

enjoy, it's magical
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-09-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Cousin took me to a nice Russian spot a few years ago at 725 5th Ave I think it was.

The name eludes me at the moment but a lot of people have said great and wonderful things about it. Great place.
    Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Cousin took me to a nice Russian spot a few years ago at 725 5th Ave I think it was.

The name eludes me at the moment but a lot of people have said great and wonderful things about it. Great place.
    lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post

the locals call it Mordor

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    my favorite city in the world

i don't know what you are exactly looking for or vibe you are looking for but spots i love:

Peter Lugers in Brooklyn, Russ and Daughters, Aquagrill for oysters, Momofuku noodle bar, Katz’s delicatessen and if out late go to Wo Hop for big chinese dishes in a basement that will serve ya beer till the sun comes up if ya want

Bars: Lucy's, 7B horseshoe bar, Mcsorley's, The Gutter

off the top of my head without it being crazy

i always stay with a friend and go out with her and sometimes forget to check in to keep a list of some spots i have dug there.

enjoy, it's magical
    Ya I've heard Peter Lugers is very good, but I think we are going to do Keens instead. I have Russ and Daughters on the list for breakfast/lunch places. Not sure we'll be doing many bars, but if we do, McSorleys is definitely the kind of place we would go.

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    The view from Jersey City.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8u...ew?usp=sharing

There I saved you a trip.

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    906 Posts
    What neighborhood is your hotel in? I’ll see if I have any food recommendations nearby.

For a 4 night trip, first time to the city, I’d probably skip the outer boroughs and stick to Manhattan. That alone would take years to see. Although on a nice day, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge could be a good addition. The bridge itself is a landmark and the views are amazing (not many places where you get the Statue of Liberty, WTC, and Empire State Bldg in one panorama). On the Brooklyn side in DUMBO a new food hall recently opened right by the water and you’d get some feel for Brooklyn (at least the hipster part)

I went to B school at NYU so I’m biased towards the surrounding neighborhoods...the Village, Soho, Union Square, all great.
    I’d second goldy’s recommendation of Katz’s , and John’s on Bleeker St is definitely worth it. Actually that whole block of Bleeker St between 6th and 7th with John’s is a great food block. I love Keste across the street from John’s which is more Neapolitan style pizza than NYC style. There’s also a great cheese shop and Italian pork store/deli on that block.

If you like Latin food I’d recommend Cuba on Thompson St in the Village...high quality and not a budget buster...started many a night with a meal there...and weekend nights they have a dude rolling handmade cigars at the door.

Chelsea Market / walking the High Line is another possibility to add to the itinerary...could also check out Hudson Yards which is right there too
    Last edited by acesfull86; 08-13-2019 at 07:48 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-13-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    What neighborhood is your hotel in? I’ll see if I have any food recommendations nearby.

For a 4 night trip, first time to the city, I’d probably skip the outer boroughs and stick to Manhattan. That alone would take years to see. Although on a nice day, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge could be a good addition. The bridge itself is a landmark and the views are amazing (not many places where you get the Statue of Liberty, WTC, and Empire State Bldg in one panorama). On the Brooklyn side in DUMBO a new food hall recently opened right by the water and you’d get some feel for Brooklyn (at least the hipster part)

I went to B school at NYU so I’m biased towards the surrounding neighborhoods...the Village, Soho, Union Square, all great.
    I’d second goldy’s recommendation of Katz’s , and John’s on Bleeker St is definitely worth it. Actually that whole block of Bleeker St between 6th and 7th with John’s is a great food block. I love Keste across the street from John’s which is more Neapolitan style pizza than NYC style. There’s also a great cheese shop and Italian pork store/deli on that block.

If you like Latin food I’d recommend Cuba on Thompson St in the Village...high quality and not a budget buster...started many a night with a meal there...and weekend nights they have a dude rolling handmade cigars at the door.

Chelsea Market / walking the High Line is another possibility to add to the itinerary...could also check out Hudson Yards which is right there too
    We are staying at Hotel Henri in the Flatiron district.

My sister actually recommended Chelsea Market so we're definitely setting aside time to go there. Always down to try Latin food and I love a good cigar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Although on a nice day, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge could be a good addition.
    If you decide to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge you can also take in the MCC (Epstein's last home), which is now a major tourist destination. I used to live in that area. It's a shame I didn't fully appreciate what I had in my backyard.

We haven't touched much on museums. But I really love the MOMA, partly because of my fondness for van Gogh and Picasso. Starry Night always has a yuge crowd of people gathered around it.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-13-2019 at 09:48 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We are staying at Hotel Henri in the Flatiron district.

My sister actually recommended Chelsea Market so we're definitely setting aside time to go there. Always down to try Latin food and I love a good cigar
    From your hotel you are 3 blocks away from the stretch of Lexington Avenue known as Curry Hill. It's a great area for Indian, Turkish, and other ethnic restaurants.

http://urbancoast.nyc/news-stories/t...ving-manhattan

"I am your retribution."