Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: GDT 8-9.... JULIO BLACKENS THE FISH IN CAJUN GOODNESS.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Acuna’s career stats in August:

.348/.408/.759/1.165 with 18 HRs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Acuna’s career stats in August:

.348/.408/.759/1.165 with 18 HRs.
    I don’t know why stupid posters follow this line of thought. It’s clearly unsustainable. Derp!
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    No one said he averaged 100 MPH at any point in his career. Chapman is the only pitcher to average 100 mph over at least 1 full season since they started gauging pitch speed. Ryan absolutely averaged mid to upper 90's and touched 100 MPH regularly. This is documented. I not sure why anyone would argue against documented statistical facts. And he was still registering radar guns as high as 97 at age 42 (though he was only averaging 93 by this time).

The 108 mph comes from equating the difference in the points at which they were recorded. This site explains where this data comes from. Again, this isn't an opinion. I'm not sure why this argument is still going on and why people can't understand math or at least do a little research. I mean a 5 second google search of "Nolan Ryan mph" literally links you to several sites that state the exact thing I'm saying.

http://www.efastball.com/baseball/st...major-leagues/
    I’m not prepared to take whatever that source is as the definitive word on the mathematics of the situation.

The implied claim that Ryan could throw a pitch three miles per hour faster than anyone (including himself) who has been measured the current way l ass one to question whether the methodology is accurate.

The recreated claim that this odd website proves this claim mathematically is bizarre.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I’m not prepared to take whatever that source is as the definitive word on the mathematics of the situation.

The implied claim that Ryan could throw a pitch three miles per hour faster than anyone (including himself) who has been measured the current way l ass one to question whether the methodology is accurate.

The recreated claim that this odd website proves this claim mathematically is bizarre.
    There is zero way you actually came to this conclusion if you bothered to read the article. We already know Ryan was clocked at 100 MPH from 10 feet in front of the plate. Chapman was clocked about 105 just a few feet from where the ball left his hand. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out a ball loses velocity the closer it gets to the plate. Based on the measurements, velocity, and angle we can prove that Ryan's fastball crossed the plate at roughly 99.1 MPH, while Chapman's crossed the plate at roughly 96.5 MPH. Again, this is math, not an opinion. If you don't understand the math, then your argument is invalid. If you disgaree with the math, then please feel free to point out the flaws.

BTW, Bob Feller clocked in at 98.6 mph on a cronograph (typically more accurate than Radar) placed over home plate, making him the 2nd fastest ever.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-11-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    There is zero way you actually came to this conclusion if you bothered to read the article. We already know Ryan was clocked at 100 MPH from 10 feet in front of the plate. Chapman was clocked about 105 just a few feet from where the ball left his hand. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out a ball loses velocity the closer it gets to the plate. Based on the measurements, velocity, and angle we can prove that Ryan's fastball crossed the plate at 99.1 MPH, while Chapman's crossed the plate at 96.5 MPH. Again, this is math, not an opinion. If you don't understand the math, then your argument is invalid. If you disgaree with the math, then please feel free to point out the flaws.

BTW, Bob Feller clocked in at 98.6 mph on a cronograph (typically more accurate than Radar) placed over home plate, making him the 2nd fastest ever.
    My dad who watched Feller said he threw had, just like Koufax and especially Drysdale.

You might correct using science but when it crosses the plate that is what people said. Dad said and I even watched Ryan pitch he was inaccurate a lot. He believes like me he is between 92 to 98 on average but a devastating curve. He said he, Soto and Seaver threw that hard. Richard was a tier lower but his height intimidated hitters.

He said that Ryan curve was nasty but he said Blyleven was better and not close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    My dad pitched for the Cubs but not in the majors. He knows all these pitchers, he is in his mid 70's and tell me these things.

He was too small they said. He threw in the upper 80's which was good in the 60's.

But when I grew up he would play with me and my brother, not fair. His fastballs would rise and the curve, well we bailed all the time. We had tin back then and they are the best things to have for a strike zone. My brother and I learned to switch hit because of him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    My dad who watched Feller said he threw had, just like Koufax and especially Drysdale.

You might correct using science but when it crosses the plate that is what people said. Dad said and I even watched Ryan pitch he was inaccurate a lot. He believes like me he is between 92 to 98 on average but a devastating curve. He said he, Soto and Seaver threw that hard. Richard was a tier lower but his height intimidated hitters.

He said that Ryan curve was nasty but he said Blyleven was better and not close.
    Ryan probably did average around 95-98 for much of his career (he himself acknoeledges this in his book). No one is gonna throw 100 mph every pitch (not even Chapman). But he did hit 100 mph throughout his career and was still touching a high of 97 as late as age 42.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    South, using science Carp is correct.

But the definition is crossing the plate. He was mid 90's at best, but not accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Ryan probably did average around 95-98 for much of his career (he himself acknoeledges this in his book). No one is gonna throw 100 mph every pitch (not even Chapman). But he did hit 100 mph throughout his career and was still touching a high of 97 as late as age 42.
    My dad said the same thing. He said 92 to 95 or 94 on average and can touch 99 to a 100 but not accurate.

but then the hitters couldn't touch him.

Nowadays they would kill him.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    My dad said the same thing. He said 92 to 95 or 94 on average and can touch 99 to a 100 but not accurate.

but then the hitters couldn't touch him.

Nowadays they would kill him.
    So? Aaron, Mays, Mantle would not be inner circle HOFers in todays game. You are compared to your peers for a reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    That said when he was with the Cubs, if you throw hard, they like you, but you need to be accurate, he was but he did not had the stamina to stay.

Like I said, he was not nice to me and my brother. We learn to hit left handed because of his curve ball and we start hammering it.

I almost batted .400 in high school but my coach did not even get me offers. My brother two years younge, four inches taller, his fastball was in the mid 90's and got offers and the coach asked him where do you want to go, but he was all-state in basketball and he did not like baseball that much.

Michael Broadway who I had Shanks look at and we got, was like my brother, he had issues and he was from the smallest counties in our state, but he could have played basketball in Div 1, he was really good. So he did the opposite of my brother.

I played with Terry Shumpert and Steve Finlay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    So? Aaron, Mays, Mantle would not be inner circle HOFers in todays game. You are compared to your peers for a reason.
    Good one, I asked that same question.

He said that Aaron would not have hit many homers and either Mays but they would be good mid level players until they've adjusted, Aaron would have. Lets say McGriff or Justice type of hitting and good hitters.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Good one, I asked that same question.

He said that Aaron would not have hit many homers and either Mays but they would be good mid level players until they've adjusted, Aaron would have. Lets say McGriff or Justice type of hitting and good hitters.
    IMO they would still be HOFers but not top 5 players ever. The truth is many of todays top players would crush the game 50+ years ago. It's the same in most sports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    IMO they would still be HOFers but not top 5 players ever. The truth is many of todays top players would crush the game 50+ years ago. It's the same in most sports.
    He said the same thing.

The hitters now would kill the pitchers then. If he can throw upper 80's and decent, they will kill him.

He said 30 years ago. Seaver, Soto, Carlton and even Ryan would get crushed now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I asked dad about pitching to those Cubs hitters.

He said they are so good. Even if I can get to 90, they crush it. I did not know how to get those hitters out.

They like my stuff but they believe I could not do it for 9 innings. Which I agree but I had other options, he took the government job.

My brother and I are taller than my dad. Sav can tell you I am not short.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    At the same time, give Aaron, Mantle, or Mays access to better facilities, diet programs, etc and perhaps they could have been even better. I feel pretty comfortable in saying Ted Williams would be Ted Williams in any era. He had better than perfect vision, super quick hands, and an incredible baseball IQ.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    At the same time, give Aaron, Mantle, or Mays access to better facilities, diet programs, etc and perhaps they could have been even better. I feel pretty comfortable in saying Ted Williams would be Ted Williams in any era. He had better than perfect vision, super quick hands, and an incredible baseball IQ.
    I just think the overall league has better talent in todays game. So their OPS+ and WAR numbers would be lower when playing with better players. Also they had no bullpen specialization back then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    I just think the overall league has better talent in todays game. So their OPS+ and WAR numbers would be lower when playing with better players. Also they had no bullpen specialization back then.
    They also played the majority of their careers before the mound was lowered and in larger parks.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-11-2019 at 03:27 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    There is zero way you actually came to this conclusion if you bothered to read the article. We already know Ryan was clocked at 100 MPH from 10 feet in front of the plate. Chapman was clocked about 105 just a few feet from where the ball left his hand. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out a ball loses velocity the closer it gets to the plate. Based on the measurements, velocity, and angle we can prove that Ryan's fastball crossed the plate at roughly 99.1 MPH, while Chapman's crossed the plate at roughly 96.5 MPH. Again, this is math, not an opinion. If you don't understand the math, then your argument is invalid. If you disgaree with the math, then please feel free to point out the flaws.

Cool, you read one source that used a questionable mechanic to estimate velocity and arrived at a number that is a total outlier for the entire recorded history of baseball. It’s math though can’t argue with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    I dont think Hank would have much trouble with the modern fastball. There are more nasty sliders now, which would give him some trouble.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."