Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In this thread, we decode gilesfan's rules for being a true fan of a sports team.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts

In this thread, we decode gilesfan's rules for being a true fan of a sports team.

I don't want the REAL FOOTBALL thread to continue going off-topic, so I am moving the discussion here. So far here's what we know:

----------------

• Let's Get Up Close first... and THEN Personal

1. Watching them on TV doesn't count; Even if it means you've shelled out extra money and bought the NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, etc. just to follow them if they're on the other side of the country.
    2. You have to have attended games, particularly home games more than just your weekend trip in the summer. [1]
    3. Thou not allowed to start following a team on a permanent basis just because you enjoyed the fact they were a good team. Even if it means 5-10 years later you still enjoy them. (Also defined as: "If you like your team, you can't keep your team") [2]

• The Theory of Relatives

1. If you were a young child and your father was a fan of the team and he forced you to watch it and that's all you know, you're not a real fan even if it means 15-20 years later you're still following the team whether they've sucked or not. [3] [5]
    2. You are NOT a true fan of a team, if you do not compare to 3 generations worth of Boston Red Sox fans. [4]
    3. If your grandpa or father was a fan of the team and you didn't follow sports before but you follow them now as tribute to them, whether or not if that team is currently a successful winning team or bottom of the barrel losing team, you're still not a real fan because it was not genuine inspiration.

• The Individual Mandate

1. ​If you root for an individual sport player (tennis, boxing, golf) and they just happen to be one of the best at their sport because winning is what gets them shown on TV the most by default, you're just a bandwagoner.
    2. If you are a fan of Roger Federer, the chances are extremely likely you love Tiger Woods, Jimmie Johnson, Floyd Mayweather Jr., or Joey Chestnut in addition. Because we all know, that if you love one dominant player in an individual sport, it automatically carrys over to every other individual sport. [6]
    3. You must root for your countryman, even if they're terrible and get dominated by a player from another country. If you like the foreign player, you are just a bandwagoner and loves the front-runner/winners.
    4. If you have no specific allegiance to a particular team in a given sport, but happen to follow and appreciate a great player (Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, Barry Bonds, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady, etc) you are not a fan of the team nor the player, you are just a bandwagoner who loves the front-runner.

Notes:
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    BC I go to a lot of games. What use is rooting for a team 4000 miles away just bc they are good? I don't have respect for people that just root for random winners.
    You don't understand how stupid it is to just root for the best team, no matter where they are located? And you guys are over 12 years old, not kids.
    Maybe when you grow up some you will understand it more. How can you actually get excited about your team winning when you have no allegiance to them?
    5 years? Lol. What about 3 generations of fans supporting a team. Thats real support and rooting for teams 3k miles away isnt the same.

You think ur as good of a fan as someone in Boston that has 3 generations of fans living and dying with team?
    Bc my fandom is real and not just some phony let me pick who is good to root for.

Hmm, let me be a Lakers fan even tho I've never been to a game, never been to LA, and have no ties to the place. But, hey I can brag to my friends that I'm a lakers fan!
    6. KeithLockhart: I have rooted for Federer for 9 years because he's the greatest player I've ever seen. I go out of my way to watch his matches.
    Yeah, root for the best! Big Tiger Woods fan too?
    This thread will constantly be updated as we reveal more.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (11-28-2013), Bdawg2309 (11-28-2013), BoneThrower (11-28-2013), BRule (11-29-2013), Carp (11-28-2013), CK86 (12-11-2013), drewdat (11-28-2013), GMAJAH25 (11-28-2013), Hawk (11-28-2013), Heyward (11-28-2013), holden (12-12-2013), jgriff3029 (11-28-2013), jpx7 (12-13-2013), Julio3000 (04-27-2016), Metaphysicist (11-29-2013), NinersSBChamps (12-12-2013), sturg33 (11-28-2013), thethe (11-28-2013), zitothebrave (11-28-2013)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    I nominate this for post of the year

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    The individual mandate were very accurate

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I have a question about the individual mandate. I tend to root for Russian Female tennis players. Is this allowed. Not sure since a lot of times they aren't any good (see Kournikova, Anna). Does this make me a bandwagon jumper or just a pervert?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Bandwagon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Runnin (12-14-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I just find it amazing of how you've deduced this.

I didn't care for tennis much at all until I watched Federer play, much like many people who didn't care for basketball much until they watched Magic, Jordan, or LeBron play. Federer plays the game unlike any other player there's ever been in professional tennis. He also has the most beautiful game/most effortless looking game that any commentator or historian will tell you. There's a reason he has a huge fan base. On top of shattering records in tennis that probably won't be broken again:

Just a few:
    10 consecutive Grand Slam Finals, previous record was 4. That's 2.5 years vs. 1 year.
    23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals , previous record was 10. That's 5.75 years vs. 2.5 years.
    36 consecutive Grand Slam Quarterfinals, previous record was 27. That's 9 years vs. 6 years.
    #1 player for 302 weeks, previous was 286 weeks.
    First and only player ever to be ranked #1 for 200 consecutive weeks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Roger_Federer

I started following Federer in 2005, when at that time he had only won 5 grand slams. He has 17 now, so I've seen 2/3 of his grand slam victory matches in their entirety. I have every notable match he's ever played in whether grand slam or second tier tournament win or lose, on my backup harddrive.

I've been following him for 8 years now. He won his first Major 10 years ago. If this makes me a bandwagon fan, then so be it. If tickets to his matches weren't so expensive on top of having to pay to travel to New York, Miami, Cincinnati or Los Angeles to watch him play, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

And for the record: 1) I don't care about Tiger Woods. Much like I don't really care about golf. 2) I don't like Nascar, because I don't like Nascar. 3) I don't like Mayweather because I like Pacquiao instead. Seeing as how my parents are both from the Philippines, which means I'm of Filipino heritage despite being born in America, I like rooting for him. Whether or not this qualifies on the gilesfan rules of bandwagoning I have no clue.
    Forever Fredi

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    After thinking about it. i can see Giles's point, if it was 1950. If I had no way to follow the Braves on radio or TV, I would agree with a lot of his points. But thank goodness I live in a time with cable, satellite, and internet. If it wasn't for satellite dishes, I might not of got to watch Rafael Ramirez, Gearld Perry, and Murph. They might have sucked, but they were my favorite time.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Giles, I don't want to be a Giants or A's fan cos I don't liek them but I still want to be a real fan and have you liek me. What do I do?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (12-11-2013), nocalgirl10 (11-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    If you're dumb enough, and I guess I am, to get emotionally invested in the performance of a professional sports team, being called stupid for the way you care about your team, including which team you care about, seems a little redundant.

We're sports fans and we're stupid. The degree of stupidity is meaningless.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

nocalgirl10 (11-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,514 Posts
    Bc my fandom is real and not just some phony let me pick who is good to root for.
    Then how does he explain his love for the Nats?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-27-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    And he's still not backing out. The lulz.

I think we need to address the real issue. Why did Giles fan route for the Braves and not the Orioles. I really want get into this issue because I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how someone from Virginia doesn't root for the team that's closest to him.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

CK86 (12-11-2013), Metaphysicist (11-29-2013), thethe (11-28-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

I think we need to address the real issue. Why did Giles fan route for the Braves and not the Orioles. I really want get into this issue because I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how someone from Virginia doesn't root for the team that's closest to him.
    TBS

I live in North Carolina and I chose the Braves over the Orioles. I'm as close to Baltimore as I am Atlanta. In football I chose the Skins and have remained a Skins fan after we got a team.

Why does there have to be rules in place for a person's fanhood? Can't you just cheer for whoever you want?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    TBS

I live in North Carolina and I chose the Braves over the Orioles. I'm as close to Baltimore as I am Atlanta. In football I chose the Skins and have remained a Skins fan after we got a team.

Why does there have to be rules in place for a person's fanhood? Can't you just cheer for whoever you want?
    Nope, GF is superior to us in terms of fandom. He gets to set the rules.
    Natural Immunity Croc

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

CK86 (12-11-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

Baltimore and Atlanta were pretty equal in distance away. Went to Atlanta games

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Sure u can cheer for whoever you want. Arbitrarily picking a team means you dont have the attachment that someone with real toes to the team has.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Nope, GF is superior to us in terms of fandom. He gets to set the rules.
    49ers, Braves, Thunder. The lolz! No rhyme or reason for your fanhood.

You should take up Bama football too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    49ers, Braves, Thunder. The lolz! No rhyme or reason for your fanhood.

You should take up Bama football too.
    Well it was originally the Supersonics and I explained that when I was a kid I was rooting for all the teams that were doing well. That was my reason. Your reason was that you lived close to the team. Why is one better than the other?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Sure u can cheer for whoever you want. Arbitrarily picking a team means you dont have the attachment that someone with real toes to the team has.
    What attachment do you really have if they play close to you?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Attachment? Nobody has an attachment unless you are talking about college and that's only if you went to the school.

I'm more attached to the Redskins than I would ever be to the Panthers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Attachment? Nobody has an attachment unless you are talking about college and that's only if you went to the school.

I'm more attached to the Redskins than I would ever be to the Panthers.
    Exactly. A professional sports team is not a representation of the city they play in. First off, the majority of the players will have been born and raised in places outside of the state. Heck, in a lot of situations the owner of the franchise is from a different location. There is just no rhyme or reason to state that you have an attachment to a team because you live close to them.
    Natural Immunity Croc