Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a look at the potential postseason roster

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    So updates. O’Day seems to be doing well in his rehab, Culberson has started to fall off, Minter didn’t even get a call up while Sobotka and Walker both did and Camargo is looking better both while he was in AAA and since his call up. Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of Gwinnett’s season.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If the roster had to be put together tomorrow I would go with something like this:

Bench of: Cervelli, Flowers, Hamilton, Joyce, Camargo

This assumes the return of Muk and Ender.

Starting pitchers: Soroka, Keuchel, Teheran, Fried

Bullpen: Melancon, Greene, Jackson, Martin, Folty, Tomlin, Newk, Blevins

Some key decisions:

1) Do we carry Hamilton? I think the answer is yes given his value as a pinch runner and defensive replacement in a high leverage situation.

2) Do we carry 3 catchers? I think the answer is yes given the increased flexibility this gives Snit to pinch run for them and also use them as pinch hitters.

3) Who do we carry of Hech, Culberson and Camargo? I think we carry just one. You need a backup infielder. But you don't need more than one given the strength of our regular infield crew. You carry the one who can help you most as a pinch hitter.

4) Do we carry Duvall and/or Riley. I think the choice is between one of those two versus the catchers. Going with two catchers reduces your flexibility. But if one of Duvall or Riley is swinging a hot bat, I could see a case for carrying one of them over carrying three catchers.

5) As far as the relievers go, I think Swarzak, Sobotka, O'Day, Minter and Dayton (and maybe others) still have a chance to make their cases. The guys on the bubble in the pen are Tomlin and Blevins. Ideally, we would carry 3 lefties against an opponent with good lefty hitters (such as the Dodgers or Cubs). But if there are only 2 lefty relievers we have confidence in, so be it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-02-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I have doubts that Markakis and Inciarte make it back in time—especially the former.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Duvall should be used in any series where the other team has big time lefties we need to counter.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-02-2019), Braves1976 (09-02-2019), Dalyn (09-02-2019), JohnAdcox (09-02-2019), jpx7 (09-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I have doubts that Markakis and Inciarte make it back in time—especially the former.
    Muk is ahead of schedule and is already playing catch. I think Inciarte is the bigger doubt.

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-02-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Nick's already playing catch and the cast is off, more worried about Ender being ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    If O'Day returns to form all of a sudden the bullpen looks quite formidable. Well done AA.
    Natural Immunity Croc

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-02-2019), JohnAdcox (09-02-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If the roster had to be put together tomorrow I would go with something like this:

Some key decisions:

1) Do we carry Hamilton? I think the answer is yes given his value as a pinch runner and defensive replacement in a high leverage situation.

2) Do we carry 3 catchers? I think the answer is yes given the increased flexibility this gives Snit to pinch run for them and also use them as pinch hitters.

3) Who do we carry of Hech, Culberson and Camargo? I think we carry just one. You need a backup infielder. But you don't need more than one given the strength of our regular infield crew. You carry the one who can help you most as a pinch hitter.

4) Do we carry Duvall and/or Riley. I think the choice is between one of those two versus the catchers. Going with two catchers reduces your flexibility. But if one of Duvall or Riley is swinging a hot bat, I could see a case for carrying one of them over carrying three catchers.

5) As far as the relievers go, I think Swarzak, Sobotka, O'Day, Minter and Dayton (and maybe others) still have a chance to make their cases. The guys on the bubble in the pen are Tomlin and Blevins. Ideally, we would carry 3 lefties against an opponent with good lefty hitters (such as the Dodgers or Cubs). But if there are only 2 lefty relievers we have confidence in, so be it.
    I don't see why a team would need eight relievers in a playoff situation. I'd carry one more position player...either Culberson or one of Riley or Duvall...and leave Tomlin at home. Let the extra starter handle mop up duties if necessary.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-02-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I don't see why a team would need eight relievers in a playoff situation. I'd carry one more position player...either Culberson or one of Riley or Duvall...and leave Tomlin at home. Let the extra starter handle mop up duties if necessary.
    Teams use their bullpens alot more in the playoffs. 4-5 innings is all some SP's go.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-02-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Some key decisions:

This roster shows just how badly the Braves needed another RHH OFer at the deadline.

The SPs will likely be Soroka, Fried and DK going 18-20 batters, and a BP game with Teheran and/or Folty going 9-12 batters with Newk sandwiched between them.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This roster shows just how badly the Braves needed another RHH OFer at the deadline.

The SPs will likely be Soroka, Fried and DK going 18-20 batters, and a BP game with Teheran and/or Folty going 9-12 batters with Newk sandwiched between them.
    CamarGOAT.....

AA knew this would happen!!!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Well you have to prioritize needs. You need a good lefty bat on the bench. Joyce checks that box.

If we had a good RHH option there is room for him on the roster. We would leave out that third catcher. As things currently stand we might be relying on one of Camargo, Flowers or Cervelli if we have to pinch hit against a lefty pitcher in a high leverage situation. Camargo and Flowers have gone through long stretches this year where they have looked like garbage. But they are giving signs of life lately. Sometimes a little luck and good timing makes the difference. I hope the team recognizes that Flowers and Camargo are better options than Culberson and Hechavarria.

Duvall is another matter. I hope we keep him in Gwinnett through the playoffs and then give him some games after that. A hot Duvall (or even Riley) is someone I would have interest in for the post-season roster.

I do worry about potentially facing Lester, Hamels and Quintana in a short series with both Ender and Muk in the lineup. Against the Cardinals and even Dodgers not so much.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-02-2019 at 08:17 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Well you have to prioritize needs. You need a good lefty bat on the bench. Joyce checks that box.

If we had a good RHH option there is room for him on the roster. We would leave out that third catcher. As things currently stand we might be relying on one of Camargo, Flowers or Cervelli if we have to pinch hit against a lefty pitcher in a high leverage situation. Camargo and Flowers have gone through long stretches this year where they have looked like garbage. But they are giving signs of life lately. Sometimes a little luck and good timing makes the difference.
    Folty is our secret weapon off the bench as a right handed hitter. Beware....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Folty is our secret weapon off the bench as a right handed hitter. Beware....
    Ha. His main job these days is keeper of the umbrella.

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (09-02-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I do worry about potentially facing Lester, Hamels and Quintana in a short series with both Ender and Muk in the lineup. Against the Cardinals and even Dodgers not so much.
    Have to carry both Camargo and one of Duvall/Riley is the Cubs are the matchup, which likely means only one of Inciarte and Markakis.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Have to carry both Camargo and one of Duvall/Riley is the Cubs are the matchup, which likely means only one of Inciarte and Markakis.
    Or dropping one of the 3 catchers. Which is the option I would favor if we face the Cubs. We could go with an outfield of Duvall, Acuna, Camargo against a lefty. But I wonder if Snitker would be so bold. It's of some importance we find ways to keep Duvall and Camargo sharp over the course of September.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don’t see Culberson being left off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I just don't see any way Inciarte doesn't make the playoff roster in any series if he is healthy. Effectively its either him or Hamilton at that point if you aren't even planning on starting Ender. Its just not a smart idea to go into any playoff series with one guy that can play CF.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I don’t see Culberson being left off.
    u being sentimental

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    u being sentimental
    Culberson just isn’t a starter imo and I think it threw him off. He’s better coming off the bench imo. He’ll get hot again.