Thread: Dominican Summer League Wrap Up

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Dominican Summer League Wrap Up

The Dominican Summer League regular season has finished. The Braves' entry finished 36-34, which was a marked improvement on their 22-47 record from a year ago. They finished five games back in the league's Northwest Division.

It's difficult to get a read on who is and who isn't a prospect given the uneven nature of the competition and the fact that the Braves' were severely limited in what they could expend during last year's signing period. Also, there are a fair number of players repeating the level and that complicates things as well. That said, here are the statistical leaders:

Hitting
    Batting Average: OF Deivi Estrada - .307 B:S T:R 18 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    Doubles: C/1B/DH Kelvin Pena - 14 B:R T:R 19 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    Triples: INF/OF Geraldo Quintero - 3 B:S T:R 17 years old. 1st Year in DSL.
    HR: Kelvin Pena - 6
    RBI: Kelvin Pena - 40
    OBP: Deivi Estrada - .433
    SLG: Geraldo Quintero - .376

Pitching
    Games: RHP Ronaldo Alesandro and RHP Royber Salinas - 17 RHP Alesandro's 2nd Year in DSL (21 years old) and RHP Salinas 1st Year in DSL (18 years old).
    IP: RHP Roddery Munoz - 62 19 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    W: RHP Rainiery Rodriguez - 6 18 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    L: Roddery Munoz - 5
    S: Alesandro - 5
    K: Roddery Munoz - 67
    BB: LHP Osiris Sierra - 30 (in 53 IP). 1st Year in DSL (19 years old).
    WHIP (minimum 15 IP) - LHP Ramon Linares - 0.98. 1st Year in DSL (17 years old).
    ERA: (minimum 15 IP) - Rainiery Rodriguez - 1.79

Like I inferred earlier, I don't think one can read a lot into the two-dimensional statistics. Carlos Paraquante didn't burn up the DSL in 2018 and he was Rome's Opening Day SS in 2019. A lot of that had to do with a middle infielder shortage in the low minors going into 2019 and it likely won't happen again. RHP Carlos De La Cruz started the 2019 season in the DSL, but he was promoted to the Braves' GCL team in late June after a week in the DSL. Of course, he is 22 years old already. 19-year-old LHP Raulin Celedonio was also promoted to the GCL after pitching 11 innings in the DSL.

The DSL Braves had a lot of young middle infielders that they moved around. 17-year-old Francisco Floyd played the most games at SS, but Geraldo Quintero, 17-year-old Alexander Then, and 18-year-old Jose Dilone also saw time there. Dilone settled in at 3B after Yerangel Medina went down with an injury. Medina is a big kid at 6-4/205 and showed some power (8 2B, 2 HR in just over 111 plate appearnces before getting hurt. It was Medina's first year in the DSL.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2019), Super (08-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The Dominican Summer League regular season has finished. The Braves' entry finished 36-34, which was a marked improvement on their 22-47 record from a year ago. They finished five games back in the league's Northwest Division.

It's difficult to get a read on who is and who isn't a prospect given the uneven nature of the competition and the fact that the Braves' were severely limited in what they could expend during last year's signing period. Also, there are a fair number of players repeating the level and that complicates things as well. That said, here are the statistical leaders:

Hitting
    Batting Average: OF Deivi Estrada - .307 B:S T:R 18 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    Doubles: C/1B/DH Kelvin Pena - 14 B:R T:R 19 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    Triples: INF/OF Geraldo Quintero - 3 B:S T:R 17 years old. 1st Year in DSL.
    HR: Kelvin Pena - 6
    RBI: Kelvin Pena - 40
    OBP: Deivi Estrada - .433
    SLG: Geraldo Quintero - .376

Pitching
    Games: RHP Ronaldo Alesandro and RHP Royber Salinas - 17 RHP Alesandro's 2nd Year in DSL (21 years old) and RHP Salinas 1st Year in DSL (18 years old).
    IP: RHP Roddery Munoz - 62 19 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    W: RHP Rainiery Rodriguez - 6 18 years old. 2nd Year in DSL.
    L: Roddery Munoz - 5
    S: Alesandro - 5
    K: Roddery Munoz - 67
    BB: LHP Osiris Sierra - 30 (in 53 IP). 1st Year in DSL (19 years old).
    WHIP (minimum 15 IP) - LHP Ramon Linares - 0.98. 1st Year in DSL (17 years old).
    ERA: (minimum 15 IP) - Rainiery Rodriguez - 1.79

Like I inferred earlier, I don't think one can read a lot into the two-dimensional statistics. Carlos Paraquante didn't burn up the DSL in 2018 and he was Rome's Opening Day SS in 2019. A lot of that had to do with a middle infielder shortage in the low minors going into 2019 and it likely won't happen again. RHP Carlos De La Cruz started the 2019 season in the DSL, but he was promoted to the Braves' GCL team in late June after a week in the DSL. Of course, he is 22 years old already. 19-year-old LHP Raulin Celedonio was also promoted to the GCL after pitching 11 innings in the DSL.

The DSL Braves had a lot of young middle infielders that they moved around. 17-year-old Francisco Floyd played the most games at SS, but Geraldo Quintero, 17-year-old Alexander Then, and 18-year-old Jose Dilone also saw time there. Dilone settled in at 3B after Yerangel Medina went down with an injury. Medina is a big kid at 6-4/205 and showed some power (8 2B, 2 HR in just over 111 plate appearnces before getting hurt. It was Medina's first year in the DSL.
    Great summary!

These guys were signed mostly during the previous two signing periods. It does look like there are a few to keep an eye on. This year's signing group will be very weak given we are operating with zero international signing money.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Great summary!

These guys were signed mostly during the previous two signing periods. It does look like there are a few to keep an eye on. This year's signing group will be very weak given we are operating with zero international signing money.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that the Braves really stocked up on college hitters late in the draft and with free agent signings. I can see guys like Saunders (in Danville) and Bunnell (in the GCL) hanging around to fill out rosters (in the case of Saunders, maybe more). There won't be a lot of pressure to move guys out of the DSL because of shortages in position players up the line, similar to what happened with Paraguante.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The other thing to keep in mind is that the Braves really stocked up on college hitters late in the draft and with free agent signings. I can see guys like Saunders (in Danville) and Bunnell (in the GCL) hanging around to fill out rosters (in the case of Saunders, maybe more). There won't be a lot of pressure to move guys out of the DSL because of shortages in position players up the line, similar to what happened with Paraguante.
    Yeah, the last two years we've had some international players given stateside league assignments that were too advanced for them. Paraguate being the most glaring one. It is very hard to say what kind of prospect he is given that he is so young and inexperienced for that level.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-27-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Good stuff. Thanks, 50.