Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic Number Thread

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We had some bad luck too, though we did benefit from some BABIP.

Regardless, we've done well vs them practically all season and they have the worst pen in baseball. I think people are selling the Cards short. Their overall pitching is strong, even if they don't sport a 3 headed monster in the rotation. Considering a lot of our best work comes in the later innings, that proposes a problem.
    The key against the Cards will be getting a lead against their starters. Their bullpen has the best FIP in baseball but the starters are a different story. They can be scored on and the Braves offense is quite a bit better.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Okay guys, its time to officially hit the panic button. Fangraphs Playoff Odds STILL gives the Nationals a 0.2% chance of winning the division. If we don't deal the death blow tonight then its officially over and we might as well start prepping for a wild card game against the Cubs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-14-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

Somehow seems very appropriate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-13-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    After game 1 vs Nats I'm happy with a MN of 6 and 9.5 game lead with 14 to play.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 09-13-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Somehow seems very appropriate.
    Ban.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    "Stupid Money" can officially be eliminated from the division race today -- on September 14.

Keep spending stupidly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    "Stupid Money" can officially be eliminated from the division race today -- on September 14.

Keep spending stupidly.
    The reaction around here when they signed Harper and traded for Realmuto was precious.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The reaction around here when they signed Harper and traded for Realmuto was precious.
    I wanted Realmuto, but not if Soroka was in the deal. The jury is still out on Riley (and probably will be for another year). But that is what the Marlins supposedly asked for and not what we offered.

Harper is a good player, but I wonder if there is any elevation left in his game. If not, that signing will go down as one of the worst ever.

I wonder if the Phils' upper echelon in their Brainless Trust can use company printers to update their resumes.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Only one true #6

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (09-14-2019), mfree80 (09-15-2019), salmagundy (09-14-2019), The Chosen One (09-14-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I wanted Realmuto, but not if Soroka was in the deal. The jury is still out on Riley (and probably will be for another year). But that is what the Marlins supposedly asked for and not what we offered.

Harper is a good player, but I wonder if there is any elevation left in his game. If not, that signing will go down as one of the worst ever.

I wonder if the Phils' upper echelon in their Brainless Trust can use company printers to update their resumes.
    It's about maintaining with Harper. How many of those 13 years will he be a good player? Because 25 million a year isnt a lot right now for a good player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    they just signed extensions right before the season began. i’m not sure ownership realizes they don’t exactly know what they’re doing.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's about maintaining with Harper. How many of those 13 years will he be a good player? Because 25 million a year isnt a lot right now for a good player.

having to maintain 12 more years will be tough.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I don't think it's so much elevation as finding consistency. He is the streakiest player I've seen, hands down. Good seasons, bad seasons, mediocre seasons. Even within seasons, you get a month (or more) long streak in which he's like the second or third best hitter of all time, immediately followed by a month (or more) long streak in which he struggles to hit as well as a good hitting pitcher. Dude can't decide if he's a 1.400 OPS player or a .550 OPS player. The average ends up solid, but Jaysus, those bad streaks have to be torture if you're rooting for him.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

Regarding JTR, we may have dodged a bullet if they wanted Soroka/Riley. I would have done Riley and a Wright/Wilson/Touki/Muller and filler etc.

Harper, he's a good player but it's the years not money per year thats the issue. How much longer if he gonna be a good player for, the backend of that contract can be pretty brutal since there's no opt outs.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    they just signed extensions right before the season began. i’m not sure ownership realizes they don’t exactly know what they’re doing.
    The GM is the bigger problem than Kapler. Kapler's done a good job getting them to contend giving the pitching issues. They've produced like 3 good players since their rebuild started in Kingery, Nola, and Hoskins. Whiffing on Moniak at 1/1 is also a big failure too. Their rebuild started in 2012/2013 and ours started in 2015/2016 and they've produced a lot of nothing. They still have some players on the farm in Bohm, Howard, but guys like Medina took a step back, and trading away Sixto if he turns into a stud will hurt alot, him and Nola would have been a nasty pairing for years to come.

Their player development has been a big reason they may not be as good as they could be with the financial advantage they have. While the Dodgers seem to pop out a good player from their farm every year in a Joc, Seager, Bellinger, Buehler, and now Will Smith, Lux, among others. And getting guys like Turner, Muncy, Chris Taylor off the scrap heap to turn into studs.
    Last edited by Heyward; 09-14-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    having to maintain 12 more years will be tough.
    True. He has age and position (somewhat) on his side if he keeps himself in shape. He's not a Pujols or Cabrera so we shouldn't expect him to crater in his early to mid 30's like those guys did. He essentially needs to generate 41 WAR with the Phillies for his contract to break even on a pure $ per WAR scenario. But when looking at ticket/jersey sales it's likely less but that's hard to figure.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    True. He has age and position (somewhat) on his side if he keeps himself in shape. He's not a Pujols or Cabrera so we shouldn't expect him to crater in his early to mid 30's like those guys did. He essentially needs to generate 41 WAR with the Phillies for his contract to break even on a pure $ per WAR scenario. But when looking at ticket/jersey sales it's likely less but that's hard to figure.
    I think he ends up being worth that contract from the standpoint you presented. Given the Phillies struggles though, I don’t think the ticket sales bump is going to last. Their attendance has essentially died as the season has gone on.

The Phillies are in a precarious position. They don’t have many paths to acquiring help without spending in free agency which is both inefficient and ineffective. And they need a lot of help on the starting pitching front.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I was very impressed with Harper early in his career and I always thought he and Trout would be 1 and 1A. I don't know if Harper merits that right now. Agree on the consistency aspect for Harper.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    He does, however, bring rosy intangibles.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    so he needs to put up this season like 9 more times? and this one has been propped up by good defense.