Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Costco Effect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

The Costco Effect

Saw this article this morning and thought after the negativity brought out by the practices of Wal-Mart the past few days perhaps we spotlight an enterprise where the CEO caps his own salary in order to spread the profits around. To all those that -- contribute to the profit
    curious to see who thinks what
    ===========================

This comment from article:

"I wouldn't be happy with the funneling.

The average stock in the S&P 500 for the past 10 years is up 75% versus 45% for Wal-Mart (google finance).

The stock market, which over ten years is weighing machine and not a voting machine, doesn't think Wal-Mart is doing a great job giving money back to shareholders or Sam Walton.

Wal-mart's profit margin has also declined the past 10 years."

///////////////

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/1...-Costco-Effect
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-01-2013 at 07:22 AM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Costco's a great company. But they are just as ruthless as Walmart..

Costco Canada is my client for our business, and they squeeze every penny they can out of vendors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    My friend does work for Chic-fil-A = and tells me the only portion of the business not operating on Sundays is the stores -- or, what the public sees.

Do you think the CEO accepting "only" $500K per year a PR stunt - or that they pay a living wage, stay closed for business and give paid holidays 5-6 times a year nothing more than a PR stunt?
    The fact that they squeeze every nickel does not make them ruthless - it is how and on whose back they squeeze every nickel that makes one ruthless.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-02-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Then Chic-fil-A has changed since the days when I was around several who worked in the main office (including a VP). But whatever...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I'm a little curious as to why good old Wal-Mart, the all American organization doesn't seem to have any nativity scene stuff (except for one tiny one I got that there the other day). Why do you suppose they aren't catching hell for not carrying more of them, they used to do so...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I'm a little curious as to why good old Wal-Mart, the all American organization doesn't seem to have any nativity scene stuff (except for one tiny one I got that there the other day). Why do you suppose they aren't catching hell for not carrying more of them, they used to do so...
    i remember when they were proud of being "made in america"

**** that hellhole of a company

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Then Chic-fil-A has changed since the days when I was around several who worked in the main office (including a VP). But whatever...
    my friend was called away from brunch one Sunday morning - I innocently made the comment "thought they were closed on Sunday". The story of when I got his response.
    My guess is upper level Wal-Mart management were not working Thanksgiving either.

Kinda the sore spot- goes back to that whole 99% vs 1% thingy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i remember when they were proud of being "made in america"

**** that hellhole of a company
    I remember that too, Sam Walton may have been bat****e crazy but he was pretty good to his people and I believe he actually cared about people, his employees and his customers. I was working there back when his health got bad and he had to just back off and let the bean counters and his relatives take over and you could tell a HUGE difference right away.

Oh and anyone here who likes to stir the pot could send an anonymous message to Bill O'Reilly and have him check into why Wal-Mart doesn't seem to want to handle nativity scenes this Christmas. It might be worth it just for the "effing with him" factor (on the O'Reilly Factor).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

57Brave (12-03-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    my friend was called away from brunch one Sunday morning - I innocently made the comment "thought they were closed on Sunday". The story of when I got his response.
    My guess is upper level Wal-Mart management were not working Thanksgiving either.

It wasn't just upper management in the main office or personnel in stores that were off, it was regular working bees in the main office. I'm sure they've got maintenance and skeleton crews on call though. Nature of the beast. I wouldn't impute bad motives to CFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I really hope 57 didn't watch any TV, listen to any radio, go get gas or groceries, on Thanksgiving day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Kinda a chitty comment to your friend.

No one ever has emergencies...ever. LOL.

Your friend can probably go to some other fast food chain and not get called in to work 99% of his Sundays...oh wait.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    a) we were at brunch

b) he made the comment

c) point was - friends opinion was their being closed had more to do with PR than principal. Which I don't doubt motivates Costco to a degree and is ignored by Wal-Mart because with friends like you Tape - they will always have people that will support them no matter what.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I really hope 57 didn't watch any TV, listen to any radio, go get gas or groceries, on Thanksgiving day...
    I've yet to hear anyone stand up for the TV people who put on the Macy's parade, the football games, etc. Faux outrage at its finest. Let's just rail against the businesses we don't like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

a) we were at brunch (FANCY!!!)

b) he made the comment ???

c) point was - friends opinion was their being closed had more to do with PR than principal. Which I don't doubt motivates Costco to a degree and is ignored by Wal-Mart because with friends like you Tape - they will always have people that will support them no matter what.
    It might have to do with both. My point is, emergencies happen. It isn't crazy to work on the weekends if needed. I do\would in a heartbeat if people needed my help.

He probably isn't "CFA material" anyway. Let's be honest....

I can\will be critical of CFA if they f up, but you just rail against businesses that are in the upper echelon of behavior "just to do so". There was no point and no resolution to your 'anecdote'. Just a pitch in bitch at a huge company you jilted. Good use of your time.

He should be applauded for going above and beyond, something you obviously are against.
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (12-03-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    How does a thread about how one company doing it right turn into a pissing contest about something totally different?

Had you and the Fist Shakers read the whole post it asked if Costco was guilty of my friends opinion of CFA policy.

/////

Is CFA a Fist Shaker hot button topic --- still?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    If you don't want those "evil" rich people to have so much then don't give them your money. When you buy a laptop at Walmart this Christmas you are deciding that the value that the Waltons, Michael DELL and Bill Gates are delivering to you is worth more than the labor it took you to earn that $399 you're spending. If you VOLUNTARILY turn over your money to them then you forfeit the right to tell them how to spend the money that you CHOSE to give them. It's now theirs. You got more in return than what you gave else you would NOT have chosen to turn over that money.

If you don't want them to have the money then buy LOCAL and VOTE with your dollars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I also love that folks like 57 support a minimum wage increase. As all that does is help major corporations like Walmart… Unlike the local smaller retail shops, Walmart can actually afford a minimum wage hike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Wow… What a great guy. Settling for a mediocre $550,000 salary. I'm sure he has zero stock in the company… nope, none at all.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Wow… What a great guy. Settling for a mediocre $550,000 salary. I'm sure he has zero stock in the company… nope, none at all.

i feel you are making our point for us now

24. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-06-2013)