Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snitkers

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Just have to point out, there were two or three, myself included, who said the day we acquired him it would hurt because Snit would give him far, far too many PAs (which, objectively, is one). And that's not even a brag, because it is like predicting the sunrise tomorrow. It wasn't an idiot-proof move, and we have an idiot manager.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Did anyone catch who the Braves had warming up last night when Melancon was struggling? It appeared to be Minter, but I didn't catch the righty warming, and they didn't announce it on the broadcast. Very interesting to see Minter there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I know this is going to sound like Snitpicking,

But is there anyone here that can truly defend Snitker for using Hamilton as a pinch hitter last night in the 8th?

We had: Flowers, Cervelli, Hech, Duvall, Camargo, Culberson all on the bench as options. And yet Snit picks the absolute worst option in Hamilton to go up against Rodney.

I know we were up 4-0 at the time, but these type of small details are why I have no confidence in Snit managing in the playoffs when these small details add up and everything counts. I'm hoping he gets micromanaged again by upstairs in the playoffs.

And yes, we all can agree he manages a good clubhouse. Guys seem to wanna fight for him extra. But it seems like we're so close to being in that upper echelon and a manager who can't make these basic tactical decisions is going to hold us back.
    Yes, it's Snitpicking. I think you are making the mistake that a manager should in each and every situation choose the option which has the highest degree of success. That philosophy breeds low confidence and weakens the team. By that metric a hitter who doesn't hit lefties so well, etc. would rarely ever get the chance to face his toughest challenge and his growth and mental toughness would wane. Every player would only be asked to do what he does best and never work on weaknesses. The game is moving in this direction but I think players need to face a balance of situations to keep their skills sharp.

Managers do NOT manage every game like it's the 7th game of the WS. Putting players in tough situations, call it creative failure, is a major part of coaching. I think players knowing that they will be expected to perform like pros in all situations, even in ones that may not be their forte, makes them mentally tougher and makes the team stronger. Imagine if players adopted the philosophy you and so many on this board seem to want. A player asked to pinch hit argues with the coach that so and so should hit in this situation because...whatever. That's the end result of this philosophy -- everyone on the team knowing which player should be used in every situation based on the statistics. Why even have a manager at all?

That way is based on fear of failure and weakens the team.

I know I'm in the minority here but it's still a fact that fans are oblivious to a lot of the reasoning behind managers' in game and roster decisions.
    Last edited by Runnin; 09-06-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (09-06-2019), TomahawkCult (09-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Btw, there's some interesting comments on Snitker's management style by Eric O'Flaherty on his and DOB's podcast on The Athletic. You need a subscription to hear it but they will soon begin have a free one once a week or so.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Btw, there's some interesting comments on Snitker's management style by Eric O'Flaherty on his and DOB's podcast on The Athletic. You need a subscription to hear it but they will soon begin have a free one once a week or so.
    Do you mind summarizing for those who can't access it?