Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: GDT 9/14 ..The ThIng from FOLTY SAYS: Don’t sleep now...FREDDIE’S BACK

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    What's the word on Culberson? Wasn't following along that closely. Saw he got hit in the face with a pitch and was wondering if a statement has been released.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Martinez needs to grab a bat and stand in there with Folty on the mound. None of his players deserve getting hit on account of that POS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    What's the word on Culberson? Wasn't following along that closely. Saw he got hit in the face with a pitch and was wondering if a statement has been released.
    He walked to the cart under his own power and Snit said he was alert when he got to the hospital. That's the last I heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Martinez needs to grab a bat and stand in there with Folty on the mound. None of his players deserve getting hit on account of that POS.
    I can't fault Martinez for trying to win a game.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Davey just really missed the forest for the trees this game. I can understand him asking for Welke’s help, but what was he thinking leaving Rodney in? Rodney was clearly beside himself after that play.

Braves have been tremendously blessed by Mickey, Davey, Donny, and Gabe the past two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I can't fault Martinez for trying to win a game.
    I fault him for even thinking it might be a strike. It didn't even occur to Tim Timmins. That Martinez would think to appeal it to first
    there shows he's a horrible human being. Of course him leaving in Rodney shows that too. If I'm the Nats owner, Martinez is cleaning out his office tonight. You don't need someone that out of touch with humanity managing a clubhouse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I fault him for even thinking it might be a strike. It didn't even occur to Tim Timmins. That Martinez would think to appeal it to first
    there shows he's a horrible human being. Of course him leaving in Rodney shows that too. If I'm the Nats owner, Martinez is cleaning out his office tonight. You don't need someone that out of touch with humanity managing a clubhouse.
    Where do you draw the line? What if it was game 7 of the world series for the last out with 2 strikes?

To me, its either a strike or not. There was no intention to hit Culberson and him asking does yield any insight into him caring about his well being any less.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Where do you draw the line? What if it was game 7 of the world series for the last out with 2 strikes?

To me, its either a strike or not. There was no intention to hit Culberson and him asking does yield any insight into him caring about his well being any less.
    Honestly, I don't care if it's the difference in a WS or not. If a guy, who obviously didn't offer at it, gets hit in the face, I'm not even going to think I might be able to steal a call.

Leaving Rodney in confirms it for me. Martinez does not have any humanity in him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Appealing to Welke was cold but justified. Can’t fault him for that.

Leaving Rodney in for 8 batters is simply incompetent.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Welke is the one who needs 98 in the head and I don’t mean with a mask on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Appealing to Welke was cold but justified. Can’t fault him for that.

Leaving Rodney in for 8 batters is simply incompetent.
    I fault him. While appealing is defensible as an in game strategy, it likely does more harm than good.

Every pitcher's biggest fear is hitting a guy in the head and every hitter's biggest fear is getting hit in the head. They showed Nats players uniformly horrified at what happened.

Those players stood there and watched their leader go make a cold blooded move in appealing. My reaction to that as a player would be "That's a dick move". I'd lose huge amounts of respect for him. I'd see that as him risking my health in potential retaliation.

Martinez clearly does not get the human aspect of managing. It's actually what Snit is amazing at.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (09-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I fault him. While appealing is defensible as an in game strategy, it likely does more harm than good.

Every pitcher's biggest fear is hitting a guy in the head and every hitter's biggest fear is getting hit in the head. They showed Nats players uniformly horrified at what happened.

Those players stood there and watched their leader go make a cold blooded move in appealing. My reaction to that as a player would be "That's a dick move". I'd lose huge amounts of respect for him. I'd see that as him risking my health in potential retaliation.

Martinez clearly does not get the human aspect of managing. It's actually what Snit is amazing at.
    I see your point. It’s hard to stomach. I was impressed last week after Suzuki hurt his elbow and clearly couldn’t throw and Freddie didn’t take second base (which he could have taken standing up). So while I think what Freddie did was classy, I wouldn’t agree that Davey is heartless. He’s under a lot of pressure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    what happened to Charlie was awful, really hard to watch. Snit handled the awful strike call on the play as well as anyone could. Bravo to him for that. Martinez and that ump disgust me.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Everyone behind the Nats won tonight so far and the Phils are tied in the 9th. they have to be feeling the pressure right now. Tomorrow could be an ultimate death blow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I see your point. It’s hard to stomach. I was impressed last week after Suzuki hurt his elbow and clearly couldn’t throw and Freddie didn’t take second base (which he could have taken standing up). So while I think what Freddie did was classy, I wouldn’t agree that Davey is heartless. He’s under a lot of pressure.
    It's when you're under pressure that you show who you really are. Martinez is clearly a cold person who is not well suited to be a leader.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I love reading such authoritative definitive takes on complicated subjects based on a single act.

But yes, it was a dick move to appeal the strike, and leaving Rodney in the game was dumb.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    From the research I've done, when you're bunting, it's not a strike unless you offer at the pitch. You can leave the bat out front and it not be a strike if you don't try to hit the ball. A batter trying to get out of the way of a ball thrown right at him cannot offer at the ball.

So either Welke thought he was offering at the pitch (if he did be needs to quit right now) or he thought the rule was it's a strike if the bat is out front when the ball gets to the plate.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (09-15-2019), jpx7 (09-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Honestly, I don't care if it's the difference in a WS or not. If a guy, who obviously didn't offer at it, gets hit in the face, I'm not even going to think I might be able to steal a call.

Leaving Rodney in confirms it for me. Martinez does not have any humanity in him.
    That seems a little extreme. I don't fault Martinez for lobbying for the strike, but not doing it would've been a nice gesture. It does show a weakness and a kind of panic mode, which I enjoy seeing in the Nats manager.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Everyone behind the Nats won tonight so far and the Phils are tied in the 9th. they have to be feeling the pressure right now. Tomorrow could be an ultimate death blow.
    Looking at some schedules, Mets could sneak into the WC. Their schedule after tonights game is: at Col who is reeling, at Reds which could be a sneaky series, and 4 with Miami at home and 3 with us at home that may not mean anything since we could skip Soroka and Fried to monitor their innings and rest of our top 4 in the lineup before the playoffs.

Cubs still play 7 with the Cards, at Pirates and at Cards after today. I think Nats are pretty safe for the WC but i guess you never know. I think it'll come down to Cubs, Brewers and Mets for that final spot unless the Nats hit a big skid.

Brewers could easily sneak in too, they finish with 4 vs SD, 3 vs Pit, 3 at Cin 3 at Col, i'd love to see a game 163 or even 164 where there's like 2-3 teams tied for that final WC spot.
    Last edited by Heyward; 09-15-2019 at 07:18 AM.