Thread: NRA Was 'Foreign Asset' To Russia Ahead of 2016, New Senate Report Reveals

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

NRA Was 'Foreign Asset' To Russia Ahead of 2016, New Senate Report Reveals

The National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia in the period leading up to the 2016 election, according to a new investigation unveiled Friday by Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore.

Drawing on contemporaneous emails and private interviews, an 18-month probe by the Senate Finance Committee's Democratic staff found that the NRA underwrote political access for Russian nationals Maria Butina and Alexander Torshin more than previously known — even though the two had declared their ties to the Kremlin.

The report, available here, also describes how closely the gun rights group was involved with organizing a 2015 visit by some of its leaders to Moscow.

Then-NRA vice president Pete Brownell, who would later become NRA president, was enticed to visit Russia with the promise of personal business opportunities — and the NRA covered a portion of the trip's costs.

The conclusions of the Senate investigation could have legal implications for the NRA, Wyden says.

Tax-exempt organizations are barred from using funds for the personal benefit of its officials or for actions significantly outside their stated missions. The revelations in the Senate report raise questions about whether the NRA could face civil penalties or lose its tax-exempt status.

Attorneys general in the state of New York and the District of Columbia are conducting separate probes into alleged wrongdoing at the gun rights organization. These probes have a broader scope than the Senate report, which focuses on Russia.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/76487...jCxUIGI8BO9DEs
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

57Brave (09-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    In light of yesterday's shooting it is worth noting Trump vowed no action on weapons for NRA support during impeachment
    Sobering thought
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Actually chosen one offered a deal to Pelosi: dropping impeachment proceedings for gun legislation. Nancy said nyet.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Which is a QPQ for Trumps personal benefit....
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I just saw a clip on another site dated May 2019 saying more school children were killed
    in schools than soldiers deployed to that point of 2019.
    never took the time verifying that claim, there is a WaPo article attached that one could google
    real quick, but to my mind , even without verification
    that sentence is chilling.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.