Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: Playoff GDT 10/7/19: Braves @ Cardinals Game 4 - The Death Blow for the Dead Birds

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    That game the last couple of innings was a **** show. Freeman needs to step up tomorrow. He's been flat out pathetic in the playoffs after that WC game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Yeah there’s going to be a ton of pressure on him and he threw a crazy amount of pitches in game 2. Flaherty’s great but we’re not exactly facing Koufax here. Fewer postseason starts than Folty and Folty’s at home. I like our chances
    If we had a passionate fan base, we could easily get in his head. Remember what the Pirates fans did to Cueto in the wild card game, essentially chanting his name non stop and rattling him?

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    If we had a passionate fan base, we could easily get in his head. Remember what the Pirates fans did to Cueto in the wild card game, essentially chanting his name non stop and rattling him?
    Someone else mentioned it here earlier, but Flaherty threw 117 pitches last Friday. 1) he'll be pitching on 4 days rest and 2) he was over worked in his last outing. He may be fine for the first few innings, but his arm will certainly tire earlier than usual. I'm thinking around the 4th or 5th inning is when we start to see some pitches left up, a little flat, and not as much zip as he usually pitches with. If Folty can throw a gem, or even a pretty damn good game we'll be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Someone else mentioned it here earlier, but Flaherty threw 117 pitches last Friday. 1) he'll be pitching on 4 days rest and 2) he was over worked in his last outing. He may be fine for the first few innings, but his arm will certainly tire earlier than usual. I'm thinking around the 4th or 5th inning is when we start to see some pitches left up, a little flat, and not as much zip as he usually pitches with. If Folty can throw a gem, or even a pretty damn good game we'll be fine.
    The biggest asset for Atlanta will be Freddie Freeman's line of 4-4 with 4 homers and 14 RBIs.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The biggest asset for Atlanta will be Freddie Freeman's line of 4-4 with 4 homers and 14 RBIs.
    I really hope Freeman is putting in some work off that pitching machine Donaldson's been using after hours. Just take 1,000 change ups low and away and work on smoking them to left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I really hope Freeman is putting in some work off that pitching machine Donaldson's been using after hours. Just take 1,000 change ups low and away and work on smoking them to left.
    Flaherty doesn't really have a change. Throws one 2% of the time.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I hope the visiting clubhouse guy drops a few laxatives in Molinas cool aid
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I also mentioned earlier he's 23 and already surpassed his innings total from last year by over 20. The ingredients for him to tire are there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I hope the visiting clubhouse guy drops a few laxatives in Molinas cool aid
    If Cards fans are to be believed, that would have little effect as there would be no odor.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-09-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    What has me worried about game 5 is how bad our offense has been, and with Folty on the mound, that means we are likely to be giving up at least 2, maybe 3 easy outs.....
    Get off my lawn!

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    What has me worried about game 5 is how bad our offense has been, and with Folty on the mound, that means we are likely to be giving up at least 2, maybe 3 easy outs.....
    That's why we always lose NLDS. It seems to affect players, the more playoffs they play with our jersey. If we don't break the curse tonight, I see Acuna hitting .087 in the next NLDS we qualify for.

But I didn't understand the "Folty on the mound" thing. Would that be different with someone else?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pecas View Post
    That's why we always lose NLDS. It seems to affect players, the more playoffs they play with our jersey. If we don't break the curse tonight, I see Acuna hitting .087 in the next NLDS we qualify for.

But I didn't understand the "Folty on the mound" thing. Would that be different with someone else?
    Agreed.

Acuńa, Ozzie, Swanny have been our best hitters. Soroka, Fried, Folty, Newk our best pitchers. They didn't play throufh the choking era of Braves playoff baseball. The "braves way" veterans like Freddie and Mac have all been no-shows. Same for Tehearn. Donaldson and Muk slightly above them. But the veterans have been non-factors while the kids who know nothing of losing and choking are playing with fire.

If we choke this one, that disease will start spreading to them. Hence why it's imperative to at least win this seried to start swinging the pendulum back for next year.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm feeling like Cy this morning. We've lost the last 9 playoff series in a row. The last time we won a playoff series, Scrubs had just debuted. Apple had not yet released the iPod and Windows XP wasn't available.

After all this time and all these blown series, I can't help but feel a bit pessimistic. This is Atlanta where the sports stars always align perfectly for heartbreak.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm feeling like Cy this morning. We've lost the last 9 playoff series in a row. The last time we won a playoff series, Scrubs had just debuted. Apple had not yet released the iPod and Windows XP wasn't available.

After all this time and all these blown series, I can't help but feel a bit pessimistic. This is Atlanta where the sports stars always align perfectly for heartbreak.
    And with Holbrook as an umpire we are destined for something to happen tonight
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pecas View Post

Pretty much anyone starter Soroka, yeah it could be fairly important. Fried has been pretty amazing for a pitcher this year. JT is a great bunter and traditionally has been above average for a hitter.

I've not seen many pitchers be as terrible at hitting as Folty. He's the Rafael Belliard of pitchers in terms of hitting.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Pretty much anyone starter Soroka, yeah it could be fairly important. Fried has been pretty amazing for a pitcher this year. JT is a great bunter and traditionally has been above average for a hitter.

I've not seen many pitchers be as terrible at hitting as Folty. He's the Rafael Belliard of pitchers in terms of hitting.
    Ah ok, thank you, I didn't understand he was referring to him as a hitter.

Anyway, I hope Folty gets as many at bats as possible, that would be a good sign.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    If we choke this one, that disease will start spreading to them. Hence why it's imperative to at least win this seried to start swinging the pendulum back for next year.
    Indeed... I will tell you more guys - I would sign a contract right now to win this game tonight, in exchange for being swept in the LCS. Breaking this streak is the most important thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I feel great about Folty pitching Game 5. The atmosphere is gonna be wild and I think this team is going to take that big step forward. And even if they don't have the best game, they'll still know that they're the best team on the field and will fight until the last out. Braves will win!
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR