Page 123 of 289 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I'd be a bit wary going after Astros players that are at their peaks. I mean they just got busted for major cheating and Verlander had weird improvement in his mid 30's. There is just something a bit off with that organization right now. Gerrit Cole had similar improvement to Verlander. Will it translate to another team?
    thank you weso1!

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It’s cute how spendy we think the Braves are when they drop 40 million on a reliever when this is the stratosphere other teams can operate at.
    Lol yeah AA should be a real man and step up to the plate. Don’t be a pussy and sign Rendon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    That extension Verlander signed this past year is looking better and better by the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Lol well this would be interesting.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,808 Posts
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Angels have money to spend and they’ll spend it. They need 2 starters at least so I can see them going hard after MadBum too. They’ll probably overpay for Rendon also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Angels have money to spend and they’ll spend it. They need 2 starters at least so I can see them going hard after MadBum too. They’ll probably overpay for Rendon also.
    Ryu, Bumgarner and Rendon is my guess.

Then all hell breaks loose for Donaldson. Texas, Washington and Atlanta with two of them missing out. Sigh. AA better move quickly.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    What would Maddux get in today’s market coming from the Cubs the first time?
    Well, like in 92-93 offseason, the Yankees were offering him a contract too but he came to Atlanta because he wanted to win.So he'd probably get whatever the Yankees are gonna give Cole, then some.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I can’t help but feel Atlanta is going to be on the outside looking in on Donaldson, Rendon and Ozuna, especially with how aggressive teams have been.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Probably on par with this. Although you have to wonder if there would be a direct correlation between money and velocity. Maddux was the best, but he was doing it throwing 90 mph. Or maybe Boras sells Maddux as having a safer risk for injury due to less velo? Who knows. But certainly good food for thought.
    Maddux was not throwing 90. Further, he was throwing in the low 90s when the average MLB fastball was at least 5 mph lower than it is today.

This fallacy that Maddux was a soft tosser during his peak is silly, and I’m not sure where it came from.

He hit the market after his age 26 season and just posted 7 WAR. Whatever the SP record contract was at the time, he would have broken it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-11-2019 at 01:41 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-11-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Maddux was not throwing 90. Further, he was throwing in the low 90s when the average MLB fastball was at least 5 mph lower than it is today.

This fallacy that Maddux was a soft tosser during his peak is silly, and I’m not sure where it came from.

He hit the market after his age 26 season and just posted 7 WAR. Whatever the SP record contract was at the time, he would have broken it.
    Maddux did at the time receive record free agent offers. So as you alluded, presumably his contract would be similar to the record contracts signed by Grienke, Cole, and Strasburg.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Sure do wish we weren’t paying Melancon $14 mil

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    If Cole got 9/324, i thought it would be from the Angels, thats alot of coin. I'm more interested in seeing how the other dominoes fall now ie: Rendon, JD, Ryu, Bumgarner, Ozuna, and the trade options as well.

Braves need one of Rendon/JD/Ozuna/KB, etc, no ands or ifs about it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I would think Rendon could net 300 million at this point. That would remove the Nats from contention anymore, being that they'd have to offer 350+ million since they like to defer money in deals. I know there we talk about Rendon taking a shorter contract, but a $300 million contract with an opt out accomplishes the same thing.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I’m sorry, but I’m not paying that much for a pitcher
    You're not the Yankees.

The world is now back to normal.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Well this just happened. Damn. This should loosen up the market. Tomorrow should be an interesting day!

My guess is Rendon goes to the Angels now. Especially after they cleared payroll today.

There goes that other Heyman dude again - sucks that the real one is out of the loop!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I'd be a bit wary going after Astros players that are at their peaks. I mean they just got busted for major cheating and Verlander had weird improvement in his mid 30's. There is just something a bit off with that organization right now. Gerrit Cole had similar improvement to Verlander. Will it translate to another team?
    Their improvement has to do with what they learned - not some mysterious injection or pill they took. They had the stuff they have BEFORE they got to Houston, so there's little reason to expect their success to suddenly disappear in a different uniform.

If you need an example, Charlie Morton should be Exhibit A - he had a so-so season in Tampa last year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Ryu, Bumgarner and Rendon is my guess.

Then all hell breaks loose for Donaldson. Texas, Washington and Atlanta with two of them missing out. Sigh. AA better move quickly.
    Probably the best thing that could possibly have happened to Anaheim.

Rendon to Texas. Ryu, Keuchel, and Donaldson to the Angels.

Not sure MadBum's personality will let him go to the Dodgers without them significantly overpaying - he's spent his entire career hating them, and he's still one of us "good ol' southern rednecks" no matter how many years he's spent in San Francisco. Hard to get us to listen without absolutely throwing so much money at us we'll finally have no choice other than to quit hating enemies, and they're probably not going to do that.

The interesting question now becomes "does AA have to get into a bidding war with the Reds and possibly others for Ozuna?". Might be a good idea for AA to scoop Shaw up quickly so the Gnats don't have that fallback option when Theo tells them he wants Kieboom, Garcia, and Rutledge for Bryant.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-11-2019 at 07:56 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the money to Hamels was the most surprising thing so far.

I feel like they could have gotten 2 vets for about the same money or less.
    eh like who?
    i think with what these pitchers have signed for, Hamels at 1/18 feels like a steal.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-11-2019), Jaw (12-11-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So the good thing about pitching...we are totally ok if all the other pitchers go for stupid money and we stand pat. Not the best case, but could be way worse off. I think AA had checked in on all starters and saw the price tag and knew Hamels was the best move.

We likely sign Ozuna and go with Riley/Camargo or make a trade for third.

I don’t see us getting JD or Rendon at these prices and still big pocket teams like the Dodgers, Angels and Rangers lurking.