Page 134 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    BACK OFF

Nats are in heavy on Donaldson. Braves likely get last call but Washington is aggressive. Nats were still in on Rendon after Strasburg, so they would seem to have the $. JD in great position but question is: Will he hit $100M? Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies, Twins also linked to JD

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Actually I have warmed to the potential of Arenado... but with his contract, opt out in a couple years, and no trade clause... think too much would have to fall into place. Pretty unrealistic to have all that work out.
    I like Arenado too, i'm not as worried if he didnt opt out. He'll be 35 at the end of his deal which is nearly what JD is gonna be next year, but this wouldnt be a straight salary dump like Stanton was. Arenado is a great player, i'd be curious how much money they'd have to eat to get a deal done, and what we'd have to give them.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    BACK OFF

Nats are in heavy on Donaldson. Braves likely get last call but Washington is aggressive. Nats were still in on Rendon after Strasburg, so they would seem to have the $. JD in great position but question is: Will he hit $100M? Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies, Twins also linked to JD
    Seems like JD will give the Braves a chance to match or work something near what he'd get from Was/someone else. I'd hate to see him on the Nats, but i'd be shocked if AA matched what the Nats would offer for him.

But he's also been hesitant on trading prospects so i dont know if he'd trade for KB either. Ozuna wouldnt be a bad fallback option if we lost JD, would need to add someone more proven for 3B though.
    Last edited by Heyward; 12-16-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Nats signing JD at four years would be a win for us at least two of the four.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    [QUOTE=Heyward;656040]Seems like JD will give the Braves a chance to match or work something near what he'd get from Was/someone else. I'd hate to see him on the Nats, but i'd be shocked if AA matched what the Nats would offer for him.

But he's also been hesitant on trading prospects so i dont know if he'd trade for KB either. Ozuna wouldnt be a bad fallback option if we lost JD, would need to add someone more proven for 3B though.[/QUOTE

Maybe time is coming when he has to trade some of those prospects. 38 players on MLB roster and 24 of them are pitchers. Doesn't even count Anderson. 24 and more coming up.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I think he could age well, he's only had 1/1.5 injury plagued year/years, but still risky going to 4 years. I do think Nats would go 4 years, dont think AA would. Would be interested what AA tries to do if he cant bring JD back.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I think he could age well, he's only had 1/1.5 injury plagued year/years, but still risky going to 4 years. I do think Nats would go 4 years, dont think AA would. Would be interested what AA tries to do if he cant bring JD back.
    Ryan Flaherty retires from coaching, unretires from playing.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    [QUOTE=PawPawMaxwell;656042]
    Seems like JD will give the Braves a chance to match or work something near what he'd get from Was/someone else. I'd hate to see him on the Nats, but i'd be shocked if AA matched what the Nats would offer for him.

But he's also been hesitant on trading prospects so i dont know if he'd trade for KB either. Ozuna wouldnt be a bad fallback option if we lost JD, would need to add someone more proven for 3B though.[/QUOTE

Maybe time is coming when he has to trade some of those prospects. 38 players on MLB roster and 24 of them are pitchers. Doesn't even count Anderson. 24 and more coming up.
    Our bullpen as of now constructs as: Greene, MM, Smith, Jackson, O'Day, Martin, with 2 spots up for grabs between a ton of guys. There's a logjam for the last 2 BP spots, and 5th rotation spot. I know we need depth but cant keep everyone, and at some point, we gotta cash in some of these prospects to help the MLB team.

I guess we could sign Ozuna if we miss on JD, and sign a guy like Shaw to a 1 year deal to have someone proven rather than just give the job to Camargo/Riley. It'll certainly be interesting what AA does if we dont get JD. Options are dwindling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    See Nightengale twitter on JD and Nats. Looks like Nats are serious and IMO JD is now out of AA's comfort zone.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Maybe, but more likely he stays injured the last few years....that’s like 37 and 38 years old??

The Arenado talk....people saying what a big package he would get. He is making $35 mil a year. I don’t see us ever taking that on. Freeman only has two years left.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    The Nats are a force to be reckoned with.

Lerner is a good owner.

It's good to have baseball booming in the nation's capital, but bad for our Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Rockies need to dump some money so they can add elsewhere. Arenados package is not that constricting to the Braves if what else we have read about the 170-180 range of payroll. Just as an aside, Rockies need a closer and we happen to have several. Would you be more interested in Arenado if the package going to CO included Melancon?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Maybe, but more likely he stays injured the last few years....that’s like 37 and 38 years old??

The Arenado talk....people saying what a big package he would get. He is making $35 mil a year. I don’t see us ever taking that on. Freeman only has two years left.
    He'd be 36/37 in years 3-4.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Exactly! Most people forget about his extensive injury history. 4 yrs would put him into his 40s no way would I go 4 yrs with him.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Exactly! Most people forget about his extensive injury history. 4 yrs would put him into his 40s no way would I go 4 yrs with him.
    He's 33, he'd be 37, not ideal but he stays in good shape. I wouldnt go 4 years personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    All of this talk of splurging on JD, is it even confirmed we have money to spend? I mean this would be a huge increase over last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Do a little foreward thinking. Two pitchers signed new contracts this week and both are older than Arenado. Each time they step on the field next year they will be paid a Million Dollars. New days in baseball are coming whether we as fans like them or not.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    All of this talk of splurging on JD, is it even confirmed we have money to spend? I mean this would be a huge increase over last year.
    Passan said on a podcast we were in on Rendon, or made a late run, and have had convos about Arenado. Our current cleanup hitter is gulp, TDA or Nick/Duvall. FF would arguably break Bonds walk record in a year if we dont get a cleanup hitter.

I dont know if AA signed pitchers and doesnt address the offense, like at all except for TDA.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    He's 33, he'd be 37, not ideal but he stays in good shape. I wouldnt go 4 years personally.
    You're right I don't know why I thought he was 37 lol!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    See Nightengale twitter on JD and Nats. Looks like Nats are serious and IMO JD is now out of AA's comfort zone.
    Here's what Nightengale said--

"Whether or not there’s a formal offer on the table isn’t known. But the Nats are “aggressive” in their pursuit of Donaldson, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). Indeed, the team is prepared to bid upwards of $90MM on a four-year term, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter)."

That's still under the $100 mil some are reporting that Josh will earn. I don't think the $90 mil is out of AA's comfort zone but the 4 years is. Reworking that to 3 year with 4th year option and large buy out(8-10 mil) would work out in AA's comfort zone.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.