Page 137 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    No, and I've been pretty consistently banging the drum for adding Ozuna and Shaw for some time now. Would make the bench a lot deeper and would allow Riley to spend as much time as he needs in Gwinnett. The problem is, most folks around here seem to think the only "good" way to go about this is by having a 3B that can hit behind Freddie - trading for Bryant/Arenado/Andujar/whomever.

I get that Donaldson (and Bryant and the others) are sexier names than Ozuna, but who cares? Don't burn prospect capital for someone you'll only control for 2 years unless you KNOW that guy can/will push you over the top. Sign Ozuna and give up the 4th round pick. Add Shaw and see if Seitzer can help him bounce back.

Adding Ozuna and Shaw seriously stretches the lineup, especially with d'Arnaud on board - you'll never need to hit Dansby or Ender higher than 7th or 8th, and if somebody's desperate enough for a CF to give you something good for Ender AA can make that trade without having to hang up the phone to think about it. Pache can handle CF defensively now, and if you want to game his clock you can platoon Markakis and Duvall in RF while Acuna covers center for 6 weeks.

The point is that AA needs to make that decision quickly and pull the trigger. If there's ANY reluctance to giving the 4th year to Donaldson - don't do it and move on. If there's any part of you that doesn't think the DH gets here before Donaldson becomes the new Melvin, walk away. This market has moved much faster than anyone expected, and if he gets bogged down in the mud with the Gnats trying to get Donaldson back Ozuna and Shaw will have signed and his only choice will then be overpaying for one of the (possibly) available guys.
    No he doesn't need to pull any trigger quickly... the off season isn't even half over. Stop with your melodramatic bullcrap... further, there is no evidence AA will have to "back the truck up" to acquire Bryant. The rumor that seems to fit from those in the know with the Cubs is that it'd take Riley and maybe Wright/Anderson and one more lower pitcher. That's not "backing the truck up" and not something that really hurts the team at all and barely hurts the farm.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 12-17-2019 at 11:41 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Who are you going to trade for that even approaches the answer Donaldson provides? Seager? Please. Bryant without backing the truck up? Not happening. Arenado when we apparently don't have the money to outbid Washington for Donaldson? You taking up a collection to send AA to spend? The Yankees have held onto Frazier with nowhere to play him, what makes anyone think Cashman is suddenly going to give Andujar away?
    Also JD won't even replace the production he had last year if we are talking most realistic outcomes. Seager is certainly an answer if an OFer is also added. If you think AA would just add Seager and just call it good... you're even dumber than I thought.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Bob Nightengale

Verified account

@BNightengale
    18h18 hours ago
    More
    The #Nats continue to go hard after Josh Donaldson, willing to pay $90-plus million for four years.
    Get off my lawn!

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    MLB network has us trading Ender, Kyle Wright, and William Contreras for Arenado, Blackmon, and cash. That doesn’t seem like enough for those two players. I would think they would trade those two separately and we’d offer Riley Wright and Contreras for Arenado and cash in return. What do y’all think it takes to get it done?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    MLB network has us trading Ender, Kyle Wright, and William Contreras for Arenado, Blackmon, and cash. That doesn’t seem like enough for those two players. I would think they would trade those two separately and we’d offer Riley Wright and Contreras for Arenado and cash in return. What do y’all think it takes to get it done?
    This has been beaten to death all over Twitter lol i'd do that in a hearbeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Seems like the only JD news keeps coming from him and Nightengale... with Morosi, those are the 3 most useless reporters in the sport.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-17-2019)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    If AA is going to deal with the Rockies, I'd much rather try to get Gray in the deal with Arenado than Blackmon.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    It depends on how much cash they are talking about. Arenado is almost value neutral and Blackmon has negative surplus value (especially when considering his home/away splits). Assuming the cash number they are talking about is in the 30-40 million dollar range, then that deal seems about right. I still wouldn't do it though. I want precisely zero part of Blackmon and his contract. If he leaves Coors field, his value will tank dramatically.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Everyone really needs to read the article on mlb.com proposing this trade before wearing their brains out counter proposing a nothing meaningful trade proposal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    The MLB network must really want us to get Blackmon

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The MLB network must really want us to get Blackmon
    Sometimes you wonder how much of this “news” and “rumors” start with said players agents?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Bob Nightengale

Verified account

@BNightengale
    18h18 hours ago
    More
    The #Nats continue to go hard after Josh Donaldson, willing to pay $90-plus million for four years.
    Please Nats up the offer and get him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Please Nats up the offer and get him.
    If I'm AA, my final offer is 4 years/$135M.

It's fair.

lolol ;)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    This would've been done if this was the deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Indians committed the cardinal sin of selling low on a player coming off an injury plagued year. They did it purely to cut payroll while still fooling themselves that is was also a win now move.

Hopefully AA doesn’t make the same mistake with Ender.
    Ender probably doesn't have much value at the best of times.

I doubt it's seriously diminished at the moment.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    If AA is going to deal with the Rockies, I'd much rather try to get Gray in the deal with Arenado than Blackmon.
    Blackman is a bad contract and is the reason the return for the Rockies would be lighter.

I’d be in for Gray also and add say Folty to clear some cash.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    This would've been done if this was the deal.
    i'm not sure we have the money to pull this deal off. Plus it blocks an OF spot. What is that, 170 million plus payroll?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Let's say JD gets an offer from the Nats for 4/100. That's more than they want to pay. Braves have to be in at 3/75.

Would anyone (Braves, JD) agree to 30/30/25/15 or 30/30/30/10?

I think there is a good chance he's a 30-40 million dollar player next year and maybe the next year. We have guys on cheap deals. We lose most of our big money deals after next year. I'd be willing to front load the deal to match the production and mitigate the risk of the age 37 season.

I think a fair deal is 30/30/20 with a fourth year team option for 20 (5 million buy out).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Blackman is a bad contract and is the reason the return for the Rockies would be lighter.

I’d be in for Gray also and add say Folty to clear some cash.
    Post feels racist.
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-17-2019)