Page 138 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    How many accounts does Steve Boras have on this forum?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (12-17-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Post feels racist.
    Ha BlackMON

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Arenado plus Blackmon to Atlanta is absurd. The amount of cash the Rox would have to send over to get the suggested package would be enormous.

AA learned his lesson about that type of trade already...I hope.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It’s a bit baffling that folks can’t comprehend the fact that Arenado and Rendon are very similar players, and Arenado is currently signed to a contract that is almost exactly as expensive as the one Rendon just signed.

Why would a team decline to give Rendon 7/245, and then give up prospect value for the right to pay Arenado almost exactly the same thing while also taking on the additional risk of his opt out clause?

The logic being applied to Arenado’s trade value is laughable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It’s a bit baffling that folks can’t comprehend the fact that Arenado and Rendon are very similar players, and Arenado is currently signed to a contract that is almost exactly as expensive as the one Rendon just signed.

Why would a team decline to give Rendon 7/245, and then give up prospect value for the right to pay Arenado almost exactly the same thing while also taking on the additional risk of his opt out clause?

People like to talk names and get clicks, and that's really all it boils down to.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Yeah, I agree...and we can’t afford either one anyway with a ounce of hope to sign back Freeman. With these new contracts, I am scared to sign Freeman back in his older years for that kind of money.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yeah, I agree...and we can’t afford either one anyway with a ounce of hope to sign back Freeman. With these new contracts, I am scared to sign Freeman back in his older years for that kind of money.
    The reality is we were sniffing around Rendon. He was too expensive so we passed.

Now we're somehow linked to Arenado. Likely bc we inquired about him. Knowing that his yearly $ cost is pretty much the same as Rendon, and would cost us a considerable amount of prospects, greatly reduces the likelihood that we'll trade for him. It's just not going to happen. Colorado will want a haul and we're not willing to do it.

That leaves Donaldson via free agency or KB via a trade. AA has likely prioritized which way he'd like go (JD or KB) and he and JD are playing a game of chicken to see who will blink first.

At the end of the day we likely end up with one of JD or KB.

Also, if it were up to me I would have signed Rendon, filled in the rest of the roster with supplemental parts, and then offered Freeman what I felt was a fair market contract in a few years and if he didn't take it, I'd let him walk. Rendon > Freeman and I would have essentially made that decision this off-season by signing Rendon.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    You seriously think AA is going to let Donaldson walk without filling the hole? Not trying to be condescending, I'm just serious. If ANYTHING, he'll add a bat like Ozuna or Castellanos.
    I dont know if we keep JD or not, seems unlikely at this point, maybe i'm wrong but would be quite surprised to see AA have Duvall/Nick or TDA as the cleanup hitter. I do wish we'd know something on JD, so AA can get someone else or fill out the rest of the roster if they keep JD though.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Dont think Rendon chooses ATL if the offers were the same, but i'm in on Arenado depending what the package is and if he waives his opt out clause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I dont know if we keep JD or not, seems unlikely at this point, maybe i'm wrong but would be quite surprised to see AA have Duvall/Nick or TDA as the cleanup hitter. I do wish we'd know something on JD, so AA can get someone else or fill out the rest of the roster if they keep JD though.
    I think AA and JD are playing a game of chicken. He's likely been offered a 4 year deal (if I had to guess 4/100), and AA has likely offered what he deems to be the most we're willing to spend (if I had to guess 3/75). JD likely wants to stay with us, but also wants more money and now they're in a stand off. Who will blink first? Will JD say make me your final offer by xx time or I'm signing elsewhere, or will AA call up JD and say fine here is your money, sign now so we can fill out the rest of the roster.

That's why we likely haven't heard anything. There is literally no news to report.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Dont think Rendon chooses ATL if the offers were the same, but i'm in on Arenado depending what the package is and if he waives his opt out clause.
    Based on value that others have discussed numerous times before me, Colorado is going to have to eat a lot of money for us to even entertain giving up the prospects that they'd want. And even then it's risky since Arenado has an opt out after 2021. I seriously doubt we get him to waive that for us. Why would he?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    To me, the only bad news about the Madison Bumgarner signing is that it almost certainly takes Escobar off our radar. I really thought he was a prime target given his inexpensiveness and versatility. Now its looking like its JD, KB, Ozuna (which I'm not a fan of), or bust.

At this point, my idea of going after 2 or 3 older, versatile players who would come cheaper in order to deepen the lineup may be looking like a fairly solid plan D. If we could somehow scrap together a mixture of guys like Travis Shaw, Eric Sogard, Jonathan Schoop, Ben Zobrist, Kevin Pillar, Yasiel Puig, or Domingo Santana, it may give us enough overall depth to cover up most of what we lost from the 2019 lineup, if deployed properly (massive if).

I'd only go this route if we miss out on Donaldson, Ozuna, and Bryant. It wouldn't be the sexiest lineup in the world, but I could see this being a viable option given our apparently improved pitching.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Based on value that others have discussed numerous times before me, Colorado is going to have to eat a lot of money for us to even entertain giving up the prospects that they'd want. And even then it's risky since Arenado has an opt out after 2021. I seriously doubt we get him to waive that for us. Why would he?
    Why would we want Arenado to waive his opt out? I'm not a huge fan of paying him 35 million dollars per year through his age 35 season. If we got him for fair value (not much) and he ended up opting out of his deal, I think that'd be a great circumstance for us.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    DOB podcast on the Athletic: Donaldson goes here or to Nats. Kinda got the feeling that his 2nd choice is Camargo/Riley. Bryant comes in third because of prospect cost. Dark horse at this time...……..Shaw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    DOB podcast on the Athletic: Donaldson goes here or to Nats. Kinda got the feeling that his 2nd choice is Camargo/Riley. Bryant comes in third because of prospect cost. Dark horse at this time...……..Shaw.
    I learned that on Twitter without listening to a hack's podcast.

On a serious note, Shaw is an interesting offer. Ozuna and Shaw or Castellanos and Shaw would be solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Why would we want Arenado to waive his opt out? I'm not a huge fan of paying him 35 million dollars per year through his age 35 season. If we got him for fair value (not much) and he ended up opting out of his deal, I think that'd be a great circumstance for us.
    This I agree with. The only reason I mentioned us not wanting his opt out is if we're forking over a great deal of value in prospects I wouldn't want that player coming back to us to leave in a few years. Him having a no trade clause, the money owed to him, and how much Colorado would want in prospects makes this trade virtually impossible. It's not happening. So many things would have to break a certain way. They'd have to send us a ton of money, and the prospect haul going to them would have to be moderate since Arenado could opt out in a few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I learned that on Twitter without listening to a hack's podcast.

On a serious note, Shaw is an interesting offer. Ozuna and Shaw or Castellanos and Shaw would be solid.
    Not sexy at all, but could get the job done. Everyone, myself included, would be worried of Shaw's production last year and worried it would happened again. Also Castellanos is a butcher in the field and Ozuna isn't that much better. And how much of Castellanos offensive value was suppressed in Detroit's huge stadium vs how much was his offensive value inflated by Wrigley field?

Too many variables with this choice. Give me Donaldson or KB and let's move along.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If you sign Castellanos or Ozuna what do you do with Waters and Pache. They are almost certainties to hit the major leagues. Whether they have meaningful careers or not is the question but if you sign one of the FAs you have a problem. I almost wonder if it just doesn't come down to the current roster if JD goes elsewhere and then wait til the deadline to address concerns,

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I think AA and JD are playing a game of chicken. He's likely been offered a 4 year deal (if I had to guess 4/100), and AA has likely offered what he deems to be the most we're willing to spend (if I had to guess 3/75). JD likely wants to stay with us, but also wants more money and now they're in a stand off. Who will blink first? Will JD say make me your final offer by xx time or I'm signing elsewhere, or will AA call up JD and say fine here is your money, sign now so we can fill out the rest of the roster.

That's why we likely haven't heard anything. There is literally no news to report.
    This is fair, i think we'll know something this week since baseball offices are closed next week.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    If you sign Castellanos or Ozuna what do you do with Waters and Pache. They are almost certainties to hit the major leagues. Whether they have meaningful careers or not is the question but if you sign one of the FAs you have a problem. I almost wonder if it just doesn't come down to the current roster if JD goes elsewhere and then wait til the deadline to address concerns,
    You cant go into the year without at least one major big bat, you just cant. Ozuna, Castellanos, JD, Bryant, whoever, someone must be added.