Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Freeman will almost certainly be re-signed because: 1. he's the CJ of this generation and has a similar mentality 2. The DH is coming to the NL. The MLBPA is going to require some concessions this go round and this is an obvious one, especially with market data driving comp. The DH is always an easy landing spot for the older players who can still hit but no longer play. 3. The Braves should still be clearly in their window. 4. There is "no" minor league successor on hand.
    See, I just don’t know. 1B are much easier to find year to year (now I get none are as good as Freeman, but they’re serviceable). Plus, if we were to resign JD, he could slide over to 1B to replace Freddie. And, Freddie is a west coast boy. There’s no hometown discount here. Yes he loves the team, and the team loves him, but if the Angels, Dodgers, or Padres come in with a ridiculous offer I can’t see him staying here over going home.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Julio to the Angels for 1 year, 9 mil, i wish him well but both sides needed to move on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-19-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    What worm hole did I slip into where I see HH make a case for FF to stay a brave.

Is this some level of 4D chess to be able to continue FF trade proposals.
    Coppy

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-19-2019), Skeeter31 (12-19-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I will do a sig bet with someone. Fwar — JT versus Folty spotting you 2 wins.
    Coppy

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    See, I just don’t know. 1B are much easier to find year to year (now I get none are as good as Freeman, but they’re serviceable). Plus, if we were to resign JD, he could slide over to 1B to replace Freddie. And, Freddie is a west coast boy. There’s no hometown discount here. Yes he loves the team, and the team loves him, but if the Angels, Dodgers, or Padres come in with a ridiculous offer I can’t see him staying here over going home.
    Well, I see it like this:

1. IF Freddie continues to play as well as he has the last few years, then he will be in demand for a 4-5 year deal in the $100-$125 range, about what JD would have gotten if he had not been hurt leading into last year. By that time, I expect the DH to be in play for the NL, so that box will be available for a Freddie slowing in the field. But, as you say, 1B isn't the smartest area to put a lot of money commitment in the long run so his demand outside Atlanta will probably be forced down a bit as a result, especially if the QO is still a thing and the Braves place it on Freddie. So, in this case, I would see him back in Atlanta for about a 4/$90 with a year 5 option at $20M.

2. If Freddie gets hurt or doesn't play as well, then he likely goes Y2Y with the Braves or accepts a QO in hopes of going the JD route.

3. If the BRaves do sign JD, I would expect the likelihood of re-signing Freddie actually diminishes because AA would have to be thinking about the DH/1B for the last 2 years of JD.

4. This situation is what I was forecasting when I was pushing to trade Freddie, given the right return. He currently commands $22M of the payroll and is rolling into his last two years of control. He's worth the money but he eats payroll space, limits flexibility somewhat and presents future payroll dilema. If the Braves had traded him after 2016, as I suggested, for (assuming Astro agreement which at the time probably wasn't out of the question - remember Houston was into their window and showing huge promise) Tucker, Whitley and Alvarez, which I did (Tucker was #8 prospect according to MLB 2017 list, Whitley was #36 and Alvarez was unlisted), then Alvarez would likely be standing at 1B at the ML minimum and Tucker would be starting in RF at ML minimum and Whitley would be in AAA with huge promise, the best pitching prospect in the Braves system.

Of course, without Freeman, the Braves wouldn't likely have won the East either of the last two years and might not have been able to sign Acuna or Albies on the contracts that they are on. We will never know.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

1. IF Freddie continues to play as well as he has the last few years, then he will be in demand for a 4-5 year deal in the $100-$125 range, about what JD would have gotten if he had not been hurt leading into last year. By that time, I expect the DH to be in play for the NL, so that box will be available for a Freddie slowing in the field. But, as you say, 1B isn't the smartest area to put a lot of money commitment in the long run so his demand outside Atlanta will probably be forced down a bit as a result, especially if the QO is still a thing and the Braves place it on Freddie. So, in this case, I would see him back in Atlanta for about a 4/$90 with a year 5 option at $20M.

2. If Freddie gets hurt or doesn't play as well, then he likely goes Y2Y with the Braves or accepts a QO in hopes of going the JD route.

3. If the BRaves do sign JD, I would expect the likelihood of re-signing Freddie actually diminishes because AA would have to be thinking about the DH/1B for the last 2 years of JD.

4. This situation is what I was forecasting when I was pushing to trade Freddie, given the right return. He currently commands $22M of the payroll and is rolling into his last two years of control. He's worth the money but he eats payroll space, limits flexibility somewhat and presents future payroll dilema. If the Braves had traded him after 2016, as I suggested, for (assuming Astro agreement which at the time probably wasn't out of the question - remember Houston was into their window and showing huge promise) Tucker, Whitley and Alvarez, which I did (Tucker was #8 prospect according to MLB 2017 list, Whitley was #36 and Alvarez was unlisted), then Alvarez would likely be standing at 1B at the ML minimum and Tucker would be starting in RF at ML minimum and Whitley would be in AAA with huge promise, the best pitching prospect in the Braves system.

Of course, without Freeman, the Braves wouldn't likely have won the East either of the last two years and might not have been able to sign Acuna or Albies on the contracts that they are on. We will never know.
    Are you sure that's the trade you proposed? Because I think you were advocating for trading for AAAA.J. Reed instead of Alvarez. But I could be mistaken...I'm going off of memory as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Super (12-19-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Wasn’t Franco mentioned as a possible option for Washington? I guess that takes away one of their options for them to sign.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I will do a sig bet with someone. Fwar — JT versus Folty spotting you 2 wins.
    I'll take that bet.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Goldy got 5 years 130 million as an extension. I would think Freddie on the open market, coming off a typical Freddie season would command more than that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Are you sure that's the trade you proposed? Because I think you were advocating for trading for AAAA.J. Reed instead of Alvarez. But I could be mistaken...I'm going off of memory as well.
    You are correct. HH wanted AJ Reed in almost every single Freeman trade rant.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'll take that bet.
    Deal. Now someone needs to remember this. I won’t. Lol
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    All things considered, Teheran had quite the run with the Braves. Criminally underrated by the fans just as he was criminally overrated by Coppy (IIRC - the justification for not trading him after his great 2016 season was to open STP with a true ace).

I wish him all the best.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    All things considered, Teheran had quite the run with the Braves. Criminally underrated by the fans just as he was criminally overrated by Coppy (IIRC - the justification for not trading him after his great 2016 season was to open STP with a true ace).

I wish him all the best.
    Not trading JT was almost as dumb as attaching Kimbrell to BJ.
    Coppy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-19-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not trading JT was almost as dumb as attaching Kimbrell to BJ.
    Perhaps it was stupid, but he was still a good Brave. Always took the ball and gave 180 innings each year. It was time to move on, but I’ve always liked that dude.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I highly, highly doubt Freeman remains here when his current deal is over. He’ll command a huge contract and salary and would make sense for an AL team to make a huge push for him.
    I bet he does something team friendly. He's motivated to stay. I'd wager he doesn't even make it to free agency this time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    His wife and kid aren't from the West Coast.

I don't really know much about Freddie honestly. Are his parent still out West or have they moved East to be closer to grandkid?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Perhaps it was stupid, but he was still a good Brave. Always took the ball and gave 180 innings each year. It was time to move on, but I’ve always liked that dude.
    That is more of an indictment on coppy not JT. I liked JT
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    JT has a good run. hope he does well.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Heyman- Executives are expecting Donaldson decision soon. Feels like mostly an NL East battle. Belief is Nats are in big — likely at 4 years — but JD is expected to give Braves a last chance. Twins, Rangers, Dodgers have been linked but seem like longer shots (LA already has a great 3B)