Page 147 of 289 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If the Braves are going to live in a place where their payroll is 160m then trading prospects makes a lot more sense than it did when the payroll was 115m. That said, I don't see the Braves making two big trades either unless they can get guys for the type of package Kluber went for.
    That’s what the Cubs did and now their minors are barren and are looking to trade stars from the major league team. If the money is there then a Bryant trade and Ozuna signing would set us up for a strong WS run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If the Braves are going to live in a place where their payroll is 160m then trading prospects makes a lot more sense than it did when the payroll was 115m. That said, I don't see the Braves making two big trades either unless they can get guys for the type of package Kluber went for.
    I think the next 2-3 years can be viewed as adding an accelerant on a fire. The fire being the boom of the battery and Cobb County in general. The operating cash flows may not support that payroll now but if you find a way to make it and God forbid win a world series? Well then you could usher in a new generation of Brave fans that vault the team into the top tier of payrolls. Not sure how thrilled I am at the idea of trading prospects and just have a never ending turnstyle of free agents but I get there are times where it calls for this strategy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    tululush said---

"Lol but that’s a lot of ifs and buts for any of that to work."

Remember it is Christmas time.
    Ho-ho-I’m Jewish lol.

Even though I’m Jewish, Christmas is one if my favorite holidays bc of all the festivities. But to your point, maybe we’ll have a Hanukkah miracle? Doubtful. But let’s hope!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Ho-ho-I’m Jewish lol.

Even though I’m Jewish, Christmas is one if my favorite holidays bc of all the festivities. But to your point, maybe we’ll have a Hanukkah miracle? Doubtful. But let’s hope!
    Gives us more opportunities. Don't have to rely on just one day!

Lets make it happen!!!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Gives us more opportunities. Don't have to rely on just one day!

Lets make it happen!!!
    Lol yes!! 8 days of responses in hopes of 8 days of miracles.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    No, you don’t “get the pick back.” We would be awarded a pick, but not the same pick that we lost for signing Smith. We lost our 2nd rounder and will gain a pick after Comp Round B. So it is NOT the same pick being awarded back. That’s what you’re having a hard time understanding here. So we lose a good number of spots in the draft by signing Smith. It’s not a like for like thing.
    And then should we sign Ozuna, we lose our 3rd rounder as well. So, say we sign Ozuna, we would go from having a pick every round (prior to the signing period opening) to now having a 1st rounder, a pick after Comp Round B, and a 4th rounder onward. Definitely not the same thing.
    I'm not "having a hard time understanding" anything about it. The point is that we'd gain a pick back as opposed to having none in that portion of the draft.

You guys love arguing semantics - that's fine, but you're simply not "smarter" than every poster here. Most of them get it too.

They're not likely going to sign Donaldson and will get a compensation pick - NOT in the 30s like most of you assumed until a couple weeks ago. The difference in percentage of successful picks in the part of the draft where the pick surrendered for Smith and the compensation pick for Donaldson is negligible (at best). I'm sure someone wants to spew the data about tenths of a percentage point difference (and they will). The point is the Braves will still be able to take a stab in the dark in that part of the draft but not 30-odd picks later if they sign Ozuna.

4/$100 million - now who mentioned those numbers weeks ago and was told he was an "idiot"?

Donaldson won't be a Brave because of the money. Arenado won't be a Brave because of the money. Bryant won't be a Brave because the prospect asking price will be too high. You guys better hope like *ell AA has had ongoing discussions with the Ozuna and Shaw camps all along and can sign them quickly - or that Riley makes adjustments in a big hurry.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    That’s what the Cubs did and now their minors are barren and are looking to trade stars from the major league team. If the money is there then a Bryant trade and Ozuna signing would set us up for a strong WS run.

You can say that, but it's not like the Cubs are actually out of contention. Every window closes and has to be retooled. That's just how it works.

They probably should not have moved Eloy and Gleyber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You can say that, but it's not like the Cubs are actually out of contention. Every window closes and has to be retooled. That's just how it works.

They probably should not have moved Eloy and Gleyber.
    Thats pretty significant though.

They probably could have capitalized on Russell when we had more value had Gleyber been in the fold. Also may have been able to flip Bryant last year as well.

But hindsight is always 20/20
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Braves will lose their next pick if they sign another guy with a QO, even if that pick was gained from another team signing JD. The loss of picks won’t skip the JD pick.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves will lose their next pick if they sign another guy with a QO, even if that pick was gained from another team signing JD. The loss of picks won’t skip the JD pick.
    At this point I’m pretty unconcerned with what happens with any picks. I would have to assume any FA we would sign with a QA attached would be worth the pick.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

They probably could have capitalized on Russell when we had more value had Gleyber been in the fold. Also may have been able to flip Bryant last year as well.

Except some of us were saying the Cubs were prematurely closing their window as they were doing it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

As you say, if they'd kept those two things might be a lot different.

Both the Chapman and Quintana deals were big overpays. We'll probably never see that kind of prospect change hands for a closer again.

I think the lesson is don't trade your stars. Trade from the middle or from surplus and maybe some of those guys will go on to be productive for someone but you keep your upside. Cubs had Soto, and LaMahieu, and the DH type who is in Seattle and the guy we sent them that had a big year this past one. But I'm not sure any of those guys really would have changed their outlook much long term or made the difference for them last season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm not "having a hard time understanding" anything about it. The point is that we'd gain a pick back as opposed to having none in that portion of the draft.

You guys love arguing semantics - that's fine, but you're simply not "smarter" than every poster here. Most of them get it too.

They're not likely going to sign Donaldson and will get a compensation pick - NOT in the 30s like most of you assumed until a couple weeks ago. The difference in percentage of successful picks in the part of the draft where the pick surrendered for Smith and the compensation pick for Donaldson is negligible (at best). I'm sure someone wants to spew the data about tenths of a percentage point difference (and they will). The point is the Braves will still be able to take a stab in the dark in that part of the draft but not 30-odd picks later if they sign Ozuna.

4/$100 million - now who mentioned those numbers weeks ago and was told he was an "idiot"?

Donaldson won't be a Brave because of the money. Arenado won't be a Brave because of the money. Bryant won't be a Brave because the prospect asking price will be too high. You guys better hope like *ell AA has had ongoing discussions with the Ozuna and Shaw camps all along and can sign them quickly - or that Riley makes adjustments in a big hurry.
    Lol, the tone here is hilarious. Saying “you guys better hope” as if we messed up the Braves off season plans, and you are an innocent bystander dealing with the consequences.

Trying to claim “most of you guys” were wrong about the draft pick loss when nobody knew the Braves were no longer revenue recipients. You never tried to correct it until that bit of info was known, and you also thought they were still recipients.

Trying to call yourself “right” about JD getting 4/100 when he hasn’t signed yet, and there are only rumors of the Nats going $90M+...almost certainly with heavy deferments that lowers the actual value of the contract substantially.

Trying to act like people called you an idiot for saying JD could get 4/100, when reality is folks were saying the Braves would not be part of the bidding if some team was dumb enough to go there.

The only thing accurate in that entire rant is the fact everyone here knows you’re an idiot.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-20-2019 at 12:03 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-20-2019), salmagundy (12-20-2019), zbhargrove (12-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Except some of us were saying the Cubs were prematurely closing their window as they were doing it.
    Hard to argue that you didn't warn of this.

I still get the Chapman move because it was for a world series and they were so close. Quintana to me was always one of those guys that was worse than his numbers. I understand I am now opening myself up to your ridicule.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Per Bowman, we were interested in MadBum on a 3 year deal and have shown at least passing interest in Ryu.

It would seem we aren't entirely comfortable with the current group we have. A reunion with DK might even be in the cards here. With Hamels age and Folty's inconsistencies, I do think another veteran starter needs to be brought in, but I'd rather it be someone on another short deal than sign an aging starter to 3 years or more. Alex Wood still makes a lot of sense to me. I also wonder if we have checked on the cost for Clevinger.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-20-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Per Bowman, we were interested in MadBum on a 3 year deal and have shown at least passing interest in Ryu.

It would seem we aren't entirely comfortable with the current group we have. A reunion with DK might even be in the cards here. With Hamels age and Folty's inconsistencies, I do think another veteran starter needs to be brought in, but I'd rather it be someone on another short deal than sign an aging starter to 3 years or more. Alex Wood still makes a lot of sense to me. I also wonder if we have checked on the cost for Clevinger.
    I think what this says more than anything is that AA doesn't think Anderson is ready for a full time roll. That would make sense to go along with the 1 year deal given to Hamels and now they are looking for more of a multi-year solution. I also believe the Folty will be traded at some point in the next calendar year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I still get the Chapman move because it was for a world series and they were so close. Quintana to me was always one of those guys that was worse than his numbers. I understand I am now opening myself up to your ridicule.
    I think both deals were bad.

If the goal was to win the Series, then I think the Chapman deal was probably a little more understandable. And if I were a fan of the Cubs, I think I might think it was worth it. You can really leverage an elite reliever in a playoff series and it probably did raise their title chances a few percentages points.

Quintana I guess might grade out as a better value on paper because they were buying extended control, but it probably didn't help their postseason chances nearly as much.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

The Chapman deal was only defensible with hindsight because they won the WS. Had they lost that series the Cubs FO would be ridiculed endlessly to this day for it. In fact, the current FO probably wouldn't even be employed by the Cubs right now had they lost. Evaluating process vs results...a common topic of misunderstanding around here.

The Cubs overpaid so drastically for Chapman they convinced the richest team in the sport to enter into a mini-rebuild because even the Yanks couldn't pass up that extreme value play. That realization alone should crystallize just how bad it was.

But hey, flags fly forever, right? The manager was fired. The GM is likely 1-2 years away from being fired. The fans didn't get to watch October baseball. The team now has no cash and no prospects to improve the MLB roster. Nobody cared about sustainability when that future value was being cashed in. BUT...THAT...FLAG...HANGING....THERE...AWESOME!!

But that flag...they all still get to stare at it. Maybe that's what they were doing last October? Is that what they'll all be doing the next 5 Octobers as well while we are watching Acuna and Albies in the playoffs? I wonder which fan base will be enjoying themselves more?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-20-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If Cleveland is taking packages like they took for Kluber, I’m talking to them on anyone I find useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    If Cleveland is taking packages like they took for Kluber, I’m talking to them on anyone I find useful.
    I don't know... sounding more and more like all the reports coming out about Kluber were pretty concerning. Doesn't sound like many teams were interested and his health problems are quite a bit more concerning than we all know.