Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'd be a little surprised if went to 4 but it seems thats what it will take to get it done, so it seems.
    I like JD just fine and would love to have him back, but with the Smith signing, if we resign JD that’s a lot of slot money lost for the draft. Picks are one thing, but losing over a $1M in slot money is pretty major.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    This is going to be the first real test for AA of now vs sustainability.

If he’s willing to go 3/75 it’s hard to fault him for also going 4/90. Such a contract coupled with the Smith deal could be problematic in a couple years.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Still say Donaldson is a northside of a southbound mule but by not doing anything to fix corner OF, and replacements off the board other than trade, I would say AA has to land JD and IF they added a 4th yr a deal will get done.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    What about a 5 100 so that you can spread it out more. Maybe he is a dh bench guy in year 4 and 5.

Second thought. Nah.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

If he’s willing to go 3/75 it’s hard to fault him for also going 4/90. Such a contract coupled with the Smith deal could be problematic in a couple years.
    My concern with going with years is, will it prevent us from retaining any of our core in the next few years. Freeman even.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    My concern with going with years is, will it prevent us from retaining any of our core in the next few years. Freeman even.
    Given how cheap Ozzie/Ronald are, i dont think it should. From what FF has said, he wants to retire a Brave, just up to AA if he offers him a good enough contract.

In 2022, we have 42 mil in payroll, but cross off Ender for 9 mil most likely with Waters/Pache coming up but Soroka will be Arb2, Dansby Arb2, Fried Arb1, and a few others. Should have more than enough to pay FF if we want. Even with JD on the books, should be able to more than afford FF assuming we want to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I think we need to get out of the mindset that we will be a mid market team. As long as the winning continues, development of the battery progresses as well as Cobb County then the money will be flowing.

A payroll of 160-170 million in 2023 should not be a shock to Brave fans if it happens with the way the trends are going currently.
    Last edited by thethe; 12-20-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Also about Arenado like all Colorado players... gotta watch for those splits:

For his career:

Coors Field: .995 OPS
    Away: .799 OPS

Coors Field: 130 wRC+
    Away: 109 wRC+
    Coors is such a unique environment that I don't think you can just go with home/road splits as some kind of indicator of a hitter's "true" talent. It screws with players in a way that affects their road performance.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Coors is such a unique environment that I don't think you can just go with home/road splits as some kind of indicator of a hitter's "true" talent. It screws with players in a way that affects their road performance.
    Yup, hitters leave Coors, and generally their true talent level ends up being somewhere near the halfway point of their home/road numbers from their Coors days. While pitchers who leave often do better than they did home or road.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    If we don't keep Freddie, Donaldson could move to first base I'd think. But he probably will age better defensively as a 3B than Chipper did.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The longer this goes on the more I think he comes back. I can see AA giving in and giving him the 4th year.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts

Maybe do something like $20-25-25-20M to give Melancon a chance to come off the books and soften the blow in that fourth year.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    My strong preference would be for Donaldson, even with the fourth year. But if not, how about something on the order of

Wright, Touki, Waters, Riley
    To the Mariners for:
    Seager and Haniger

We'd be doing them a favor on Seager, who is serviceable (quite good still defensively) for $19M for the next couple years plus an option, but of course the real prize is Haniger, who should come back strong from his broken nuts. He's got three years of control.

I think the Mariners might bite on something like that -it's got to have dawned on Dipoto that their rebuild wont happen on Haniger's schedule - and it solves both our problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    It is almost guaranteed that Freeman will retire a brave. Any lineup that doesn't have him included is wrong.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-21-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    My strong preference would be for Donaldson, even with the fourth year. But if not, how about something on the order of

Wright, Touki, Waters, Riley
    To the Mariners for:
    Seager and Haniger

We'd be doing them a favor on Seager, who is serviceable (quite good still defensively) for $19M for the next couple years plus an option, but of course the real prize is Haniger, who should come back strong from his broken nuts. He's got three years of control.

I think the Mariners might bite on something like that -it's got to have dawned on Dipoto that their rebuild wont happen on Haniger's schedule - and it solves both our problems.
    Holy overpay batman

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Take out Waters and I am in... Of course I doubt they would be 😀😎

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Take out Waters and I am in... Of course I doubt they would be ����
    Even without waters, that package is probably an overpay. Both Riley and Wright hold a lot of value. Even touki holds some value as an electric stuff type lottery ticket I haven’t looked but Seager has to be under water. His contract plus his age has to be factored. So that would bring whatever mitches value down.
    Coppy

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It is almost guaranteed that Freeman will retire a brave. Any lineup that doesn't have him included is wrong.
    There’s the posi-Brave we all know and love. I think it’s going to be a massive mistake if we resign him to a long contract. If he goes year to year after this deal, or only wants a 3 year deal fine. But if he wants 5+, bye bye.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Some dude on Twitter said that Jim Bowden reported the Braves have added a 4th year to the offer on XM radio. Anyone else hear that on XM?
    Bowden and Duquette interviewed AA before he left the meetings, and Bowden said that what he read from AA's GM-speak was that they were no doubt going to go to the 4th year if that's what it took.

Of course he also said that he felt like AA was pretty serious about adding MadBum following that interview too, so...
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Think about what this article just proposed. Following the logic sequence...

1. The Rangers offered Rendon 6/195 (32.5 AAV), and would have gone 7 years (7/230?).
    2. Rendon ultimately signed for 7/245. Did Boras really not try to get the Rangers to top that offer? Doubtful.
    3. Therefore, the Rangers absolute max offer for Rendon was something less than 7/245.
    4. Arenado is owed 7/234 with an opt out that increases the overall value for the player.
    5. But that's right around the dollar value they were willing to pay for Rendon, so they can afford it.
    6. And they will be willing to give up a 3-4 player package headed by their best prospect(s).
    7. For the right to pay Arenado the absolute max amount of cash they were willing to give Rendon.
    8. Oh, and Arenado will agree to leave a losing team for another losing team because he idolized Beltre...huh?

So to get this straight, this author is suggesting the Rangers would be willing to give out the max dollars they were willing to spend at 3B, and in addition to that, also give up a prospect package that will nearly gut their mediocre farm system.

Does that logic sequence make sense to anyone? Why would the Rangers do that? Would they give that same package to the Angels for Rendon and $10M?

Doesn't that kinda follow the same logic as those here suggesting the Braves would trade for Arenado? Supposedly kicked the tires on Rendon too in case he'd take less years and a higher AAV...just swap Beltre for Chipper and Shanks, DOB, or Bowman could've written the same story.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?