Results 2,981 to 3,000 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Also about Arenado like all Colorado players... gotta watch for those splits:

For his career:

Coors Field: .995 OPS
    Away: .799 OPS

Coors Field: 130 wRC+
    Away: 109 wRC+
    His splits are as bad as Bumgarner's - stay away, stay very far away!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    If you heard it on XM it is the most reliable source on the planet. Definitely true.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Doesn't that kinda follow the same logic as those here suggesting the Braves would trade for Arenado? Supposedly kicked the tires on Rendon too in case he'd take less years and a higher AAV...just swap Beltre for Chipper and Shanks, DOB, or Bowman could've written the same story.
    No...it is nothing like the logic behind Arenado to Atlanta.

The idea for Arenado is something like Riley for Arenado plus enough cash to make Arenado’s contract a positive. Something as simple as $5M-$10M per year he remains a Brave would make his contract quite valuable.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Coors is such a unique environment that I don't think you can just go with home/road splits as some kind of indicator of a hitter's "true" talent. It screws with players in a way that affects their road performance.
    This is correct. Google “coors field hangover effect” for more bathroom reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Imo Trevor Story is a more plausible target for the Braves than Arenado.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    His splits are as bad as Bumgarner's - stay away, stay very far away!!!
    The Coors hangover effect is real, but it is somewhat sporadic and hard to predict exactly how much it affects each player individually. Its not obvious that the same kind of effect applies to other stadiums who are either extremely pitcher or hitter friendly and I have serious doubts that it would apply to any stadium other than Coors.

But regarding Bumgarner, its kinda hilarious that he ended up going to maybe the worst possible stadium, other than Coors, for his particular pitching profile. If anyone had any doubts regarding his home/road splits and declining peripherals, I think that those doubts are going to be cleared up in 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Imo Trevor Story is a more plausible target for the Braves than Arenado.
    Story would be interesting, but he'd almost certainly be more expensive than Arenado. He also gets a lot of his value from his plus defense at shortstop, so would your idea be to move someone else to 3rd or move him to 3rd? I'm not as concerned by his .300 point delta between his home/road OPS splits because I feel pretty confident that he'd be capable of a ~.825-.850 OPS without the hangover effect. At least more confident in him than I am in someone like Charlie Blackmon outside of Coors. But I'm still not sure he's as natural a fit for us as Arenado would be, outside of him being more financially palatable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Story would be interesting, but he'd almost certainly be more expensive than Arenado. He also gets a lot of his value from his plus defense at shortstop, so would your idea be to move someone else to 3rd or move him to 3rd? I'm not as concerned by his .300 point delta between his home/road OPS splits because I feel pretty confident that he'd be capable of a ~.825-.850 OPS without the hangover effect. At least more confident in him than I am in someone like Charlie Blackmon outside of Coors. But I'm still not sure he's as natural a fit for us as Arenado would be, outside of him being more financially palatable.
    We could use him either at third or short. In the latter scenario we would include Swanson in the trade. I've discussed a similar deal involving Lindor.

The financials are why I think Story is more plausible than Arenado.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We could use him either at third or short. In the latter scenario we would include Swanson in the trade. I've discussed a similar deal involving Lindor.

The financials are why I think Story is more plausible than Arenado.
    I don't think I like the idea of adding Story to the current payroll while still leaving that hole at 3rd and cOF. If we could get Story without including Swanson and play him at 3rd, I'd be fine with that although I don't think it'd be ideal. But I don't get the idea of using our resources to improve at SS when it will limit our ability to improve at 3rd and/or cOF. Those positions need to be the priority until we run out of options. If Donaldson signs elsewhere and we run out of options at those positions, then maybe I would pivot to a Story-like move and just go with a cheaper options to fill the rest of the lineup. But that needs to be like plan G. Right now our main focus should be acquiring a natural improvement at 3rd base, with cOF as plan B.

With that being said, if a Story trade were paired with my previous idea of acquiring older, cheaper, versatile players then I could see ways to make it work. If we were able to pull a group like Story, Zobrist, and Shaw or a Story, Cabrera, and Holt then I think I would be okay with that offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Swanson is a cheap ~2 win guy we can still hope breaks out and becomes a 3-4 win guy.

There is no such player currently on the roster for 3b.

Keep it simple. Fill the 3b hole.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-21-2019), jpx7 (12-21-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Swanson is a cheap ~2 win guy we can still hope breaks out and becomes a 3-4 win guy.

There is no such player currently on the roster for 3b.

Keep it simple. Fill the 3b hole.
    Agreed. I can only see the logic behind trying to improve SS if all our other options at 3rd and cOF have been exhausted.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Lindor is a little different because he is a legit MVP candidate in his prime. Clearing room for a player like that makes sense if the opportunity is there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,392 Posts
    Just go get Bryant and leave this JD crap behind. Hopefully Riley figures out how to hit and we aren’t back here in 2 years.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Just go get Bryant and leave this JD crap behind. Hopefully Riley figures out how to hit and we aren’t back here in 2 years.
    It certainly seems like JD’s market is somewhat linked to Bryant’s service time ruling. The Braves can’t finalize a deal for Bryant until the ruling, so they can’t make their final offer to JD until they know whether or not Bryant is a better value. If JD is going to wait for the Braves final offer, that can’t come until Bryant’s case is final.

The choice is almost certainly going to come down to 3/4 years for JD vs a substantial prospect package for Bryant.

If it’s JD at 4/95 vs Bryant for a package of MiLB guys like Riley/Wilson/Touki, I think the choice is clear.

If it’s JD at 4/80 vs Bryant for a package of MLB guys like Ender/Anderson/Newj, I think the choice is equally clear.

The gray area in between is where the tough call lies. As long as Bryant can be had for any package not including MLB contributors or Pache, I think Bryant is the right move.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-21-2019 at 02:34 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    reports saying JD wants to be a Brave and will be if a 4th year is added. otherwise it’s Twins or Nats. i think we see the 4th year added and JD remains a Brave. not ideal at all but i think he’ll mash for at least another 2 years.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    reports saying JD wants to be a Brave and will be if a 4th year is added. otherwise it’s Twins or Nats. i think we see the 4th year added and JD remains a Brave. not ideal at all but i think he’ll mash for at least another 2 years.
    Given our surplus of cheap young talent controlled long term, I'm reluctantly willing to add that fourth year for Donaldson. If the DH is added like some have suggested, that would make the deal even more palatable. But even without that, the prospect of a having 1 or 2 down years from Donaldson at a high AAV is worth what he'll bring to the team in 2020 and the bonus is that we'll keep all the young talent that we still have in the farm system. I hate the fact that we'll be giving up a significant amount of financial flexibility, but I think that we'll have some paths open up that will allow us to mitigate that loss in the future.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    Ugh - now I feel bad

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-21-2019), bravesfanMatt (12-21-2019), jpx7 (12-21-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,392 Posts
    Classy
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,127 Posts
    I wish Teheran all the best. Seems like a good guy and was super durable for us for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    There is only one Julion.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2019)