Page 167 of 289 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    DOB with some bold predictions, nothing earth shattering really.

- Acuna flirts with 40-40 (expected)
    - FF is in MVP race (well...duh)
    - Will Smith is closer (duh)
    - Ender is traded to make room for Pache (likely)
    - Braves re-sign JD to a 3 yr deal with the 4th year buyout being heavy money (would be shocked)
    - Braves trade prospects at deadline for a SP (makes sense)
    - Nats win the division (unlikely since they've gotten weaker)
    - Braves finally win a playoff series
    - Soroka emerges as the ace (duh)
    Nothing noteworthy, slow newsday with Realmuto, i mean JD still on the market.
    Bold my ass, these are mainly obvious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    weso1's bold predictions:

The Braves will use at least 5 starting pitchers
    At least one of those starters will throw more than 50 pitches in a game
    Acuna will be a starter
    Freeman will mostly play first base
    This board will complain about Snitker in the gdt
    The Braves will win a game
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Interesting Bowman tidbit....

LINK

"Josh Donaldson remains the primary target. But the division-rival Nationals are also showing strong interest, and it remains to be seen whether the Braves will be willing to offer the fourth guaranteed year that might be necessary to secure the 2015 American League MVP Award winner. If Atlanta goes the trade route, the Braves regard the Indians’ Francisco Lindor more highly than the Cubs’ Kris Bryant. But general manager Alex Anthopoulos might end up filling this need with an outfielder. Free agent Marcell Ozuna is an option, but the trade market might be the more optimal way.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    What OF bats at the level of Bryant have been mentioned as trade candidates? Marte is the best I've heard, but he isn't near that level offensively.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Interesting Bowman tidbit....

LINK

"Josh Donaldson remains the primary target. But the division-rival Nationals are also showing strong interest, and it remains to be seen whether the Braves will be willing to offer the fourth guaranteed year that might be necessary to secure the 2015 American League MVP Award winner. If Atlanta goes the trade route, the Braves regard the Indians’ Francisco Lindor more highly than the Cubs’ Kris Bryant. But general manager Alex Anthopoulos might end up filling this need with an outfielder. Free agent Marcell Ozuna is an option, but the trade market might be the more optimal way.
    This is probably likely for every team in baseball. Had Bowman specifically said the Braves will or are expected to target Lindor if Donaldson doesn’t re-sign, that’s different. This is just filler. Bowman and DOB are the worst. At least Gabe can write a decent piece.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Pitching
    The same pitching both teams had last year. With the exception that we upgraded our pen and we get a whole season of Hamels vs half a season of Keuchel. Am I missing something?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    The same pitching both teams had last year. With the exception that we upgraded our pen and we get a whole season of Hamels vs half a season of Keuchel. Am I missing something?
    I think you are missing all the sarcasm especially from DOBs New Years resolutions/prediction list.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Nats are probably better than the Braves, just like they were last year. Based on predictive stats they were a true talent 95-96 win team that got a bit unlucky to only win 93.

Meanwhile, based on the same predictive stats the Braves were a true talent 89-92 win team that got quite a bit lucky to win 97 games. Most of that luck came in the form of a completely unsustainable 28-17 record in 1 run games.

The Braves are definitely a top tier contender that can win it all, but the Nats are almost certainly better. They should be better...they are a competent organization with a much larger payroll.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2019), PawPawMaxwell (12-31-2019), Snowman (01-01-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Nats are probably better than the Braves, just like they were last year. Based on predictive stats they were a true talent 95-96 win team that got a bit unlucky to only win 93.

Meanwhile, based on the same predictive stats the Braves were a true talent 89-92 win team that got quite a bit lucky to win 97 games. Most of that luck came in the form of a completely unsustainable 28-17 record in 1 run games.

The Braves are definitely a top tier contender that can win it all, but the Nats are almost certainly better. They should be better...they are a competent organization with a much larger payroll.
    The Nats rotation is obviously better but their offense and bullpen are both worse than ours imo. If they miss out on JD then they are a lot worse than last year. Do they even have what it’ll take to trade for Bryant?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    The Twins have signed Rich Hill and Homer Bailey
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The Nats rotation is obviously better but their offense and bullpen are both worse than ours imo. If they miss out on JD then they are a lot worse than last year. Do they even have what it’ll take to trade for Bryant?
    They definitely do if they are willing to trade Kieboom. He'd likely get Bryant by himself. Without him, they would have to trade Garcia plus a good chunk of their 45 FV prospects in order to get there.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

I think whatever happens at 3rd for both teams could end up determining who the better team is entering the season. Right now they are virtually even imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    They definitely do if they are willing to trade Kieboom. He'd likely get Bryant by himself. Without him, they would have to trade Garcia plus a good chunk of their 45 FV prospects in order to get there.
    The Cubs aren’t gonna do a 1 for 1 imo. If Bryant gets traded it’ll take multiple prospects and not just filler.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Doesn't Kyle Hendricks have something that people call a "cut" change that has glove side run? Its some weird combination of a slider, cutter, and changeup from what I've read and its very difficult to categorize.
    Yep. Was going to use him as well, but I knew Shields was known for having a "sinking change." I haven't watched enough of Shields to know what it looks like however.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think whatever happens at 3rd for both teams could end up determining who the better team is entering the season. Right now they are virtually even imo.
    Nats are currently projected with 41 WAR and the Braves with 40 WAR in 2020. Mets are sitting at 44, but have almost zero resources to add anything.

The Braves need to upgrade 3B and cOF, which could push them to the 43-44 range.

The Nats need to upgrade one of 3B/1B/2B, which could push them up a similar amount.

If I'm the Nats, I let Boom play 3B, slide Kendrick to 2B, and get the best 1B option I can via trade. No way would I drive the bidding for JD if I were them, but I didn't just win the WS either.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Nats are currently projected with 41 WAR and the Braves with 40 WAR in 2020. Mets are sitting at 44, but have almost zero resources to add anything.

The Braves need to upgrade 3B and cOF, which could push them to the 43-44 range.

The Nats need to upgrade one of 3B/1B/2B, which could push them up a similar amount.

If I'm the Nats, I let Boom play 3B, slide Kendrick to 2B, and get the best 1B option I can via trade. No way would I drive the bidding for JD if I were them, but I didn't just win the WS either.
    I agree. I think we need two bats to be serious. Whether we get one now and the other at the deadline, we need one at 3rd and COF. If we do sign JD I’d pursue a Haniger or Marte trade no doubt.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    What OF bats at the level of Bryant have been mentioned as trade candidates? Marte is the best I've heard, but he isn't near that level offensively.
    No one's mentioned him, so far as I can tell, but I'm still holding out hope that the Braves re-visit Haniger.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Haniger is probably the best realistic target that's available, other than Marte. I don't view Betts as realistic given his price tag for 1 year.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Does it make more sense than the alternative?

FG is only wrong about Anderson’s spin rate?

I’m skeptical too, but until we have actual data I can’t very well call that 1700 value wrong.
    so question, why would FG rate Anderson as highly as they do, and rate his curve as a 50/55, if they are getting reports that his curve has position player type RPM? i’d think they themselves would have to be highly skeptical of that data because they’re basically ignoring it?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2019), Metaphysicist (01-01-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

A "competently run organization" gives Patrick Corbin 6 years and $140 million???

My how someone's tune has changed.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?