Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I mean, JD only costs money. KB/Nolan cost prospects and money. Need one of them though.
    Folks say "only costs money" as if not having that money available in 2-3 years isn't going to hurt the Braves ability to construct a playoff roster.

One could respond to comments like that by saying, "KB only costs a hitter who can't make contact and a pitcher without a breaking ball".

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks say "only costs money" as if not having that money available in 2-3 years isn't going to hurt the Braves ability to construct a playoff roster.

One could respond to comments like that by saying, "KB only costs a hitter who can't make contact and a pitcher without a breaking ball".
    We dont know what CHC wants for KB. I get both ends of the spectrum though.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Seems to me Puig could approximate Ozuna's production for a small fraction of the price.

The same can't be said of 3B after JD/KB/Arenado.

Focus on 3B...that's where the available impact players are. Just take a deep breath, brace yourself, and swallow the least horrid overpay for 1 of those 3 guys.
    Agree on the first two, but I just don’t foresee an Arenado deal that makes sense. He’ll come with very little SV and the Rockies will want an incommensurate amount of FV.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Well this could be problematic if Ozuna signs while we sort out what we’ll do with JD. A serious plan B may be gone.

The Reds already signed Shogo Akiyama.

They are really serious about winning this year.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Freddie is younger and should be able to hold up to the demands of 3B. Give JD the 4th year and put him at 1B. Do it JS!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-03-2020), The Chosen One (01-02-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Castro signs with the Angels

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Freddie is going to be 32 at the end of his current contract. The likelihood of him being an elite hitter at the end of 2021 isn't very good. It's likely best to wait this one out and see if we can't work out a 3-4 year deal in 2 years. I suppose there is the risk he doesn't decline and could be looking at a 5 year deal in the 150 million range in free agency, but I think waiting is the best play here.
    There's "less" chance that Freeman will be an elite hitter in 2022 at 32 years old than there is that Donaldson will be at 36/37? Why? Which predictive stat shows that?

I love playing my role, but that's a serious question.

If one of the arguments FOR signing Donaldson to a 4 year deal at his age is that you hope to be able to use him at DH two years from now, what on earth suggests that Freeman will be a worse option as a DH if you extend him and he'd be several years younger??? If neither of them is playing defense at that point, wouldn't it be "smarter" to pay the younger guy the same money just to hit?

That isn't even taking into account the fact that Freddie's stumbled all over himself telling you he'll take a below-market deal to be able to retire a Brave while Donaldson is stretching this out to get every last dime he possibly can.

Don't misunderstand - Donaldson ABSOLUTELY has done everything that anyone could ask to put himself in the position to do what he's doing, and anyone that criticizes him for doing it just isn't willing to take off their rose-colored "homer" glasses. The problem is that those who think that giving a 34 year old Donaldson a 4 year/$100 million contract is a better investment than giving a 32 year old Freeman a 4 year/$80 million extension are kidding themselves.

Poke all the fun and take all the shots at me you'd like to get your jollies, but I'll bet you whatever you'd like that if AA offered Freeman a 4/$80 million extension tomorrow morning he retires as a Brave.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-02-2020 at 09:23 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Castro signs with the Angels
    1 year @ 6.5 million is incredible value.

Angels lineup is quite good. They really need pitching in the worst ways.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-03-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Will Harris to the Nats, 3 years/24 mil.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Will Harris to the Nats, 3 years/24 mil.
    If they sign Harris how they can afford Donaldson and not Rendon?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    There's "less" chance that Freeman will be an elite hitter in 2022 at 32 years old than there is that Donaldson will be at 36/37? Why? Which predictive stat shows that?

I love playing my role, but that's a serious question.

If one of the arguments FOR signing Donaldson to a 4 year deal at his age is that you hope to be able to use him at DH two years from now, what on earth suggests that Freeman will be a worse option as a DH if you extend him and he'd be several years younger??? If neither of them is playing defense at that point, wouldn't it be "smarter" to pay the younger guy the same money just to hit?

That isn't even taking into account the fact that Freddie's stumbled all over himself telling you he'll take a below-market deal to be able to retire a Brave while Donaldson is stretching this out to get every last dime he possibly can.

Don't misunderstand - Donaldson ABSOLUTELY has done everything that anyone could ask to put himself in the position to do what he's doing, and anyone that criticizes him for doing it just isn't willing to take off their rose-colored "homer" glasses. The problem is that those who think that giving a 34 year old Donaldson a 4 year/$100 million contract is a better investment than giving a 32 year old Freeman a 4 year/$80 million extension are kidding themselves.

Poke all the fun and take all the shots at me you'd like to get your jollies, but I'll bet you whatever you'd like that if AA offered Freeman a 4/$80 million extension tomorrow morning he retires as a Brave.
    For one, I didn't mention JD at all. And I've been pretty clear about my preference for not signing JD if it's going to take a 4 year deal.

Secondly, I didn't say anything about not wanting to bring back Freddie or that JD was smarter sign. The point is to minimize risk and extended Freddie now is simply not smart. We have 2 years, there is simply no reason at all to resign Freddie now. If he'd accept 4/80 now, it stands to reason he'd still take 4/80 two years from now.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If they sign Harris how they can afford Donaldson and not Rendon?
    Lol they’re likely deferring the crap out of the deal. 500k now but a million dollars every year until 2050 😂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    JD needs to tell everybody they have till Monday to submit their best offers so this can be over with already.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    JD needs to tell everybody they have till Monday to submit their best offers so this can be over with already.
    Maybe he’s the one dragging his feet, not the mlb teams.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Maybe he’s the one dragging his feet, not the mlb teams.
    Well, it seems to be working and agent gets more calls from GMs. A month ago all the "insiders" were saying 2-3 years with an option for 4. Before that it was consensus that it would be 2 years with a 3rd year option. Now he has multiple teams adding a guaranteed 4th year bidding for him.

Why not hold out until the madness quiets down? Spring training aint' for another month. If the phones don't ring for a week then he can decide.
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-03-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    1 year @ 6.5 million is incredible value.

Angels lineup is quite good. They really need pitching in the worst ways.
    Why? They’ve finally got an ace in Julio!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Julio actually had the highest 2019 WAR among current pitchers on their staff as sad as that is.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-03-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Well, it seems to be working and agent gets more calls from GMs. A month ago all the "insiders" were saying 2-3 years with an option for 4. Before that it was consensus that it would be 2 years with a 3rd year option. Now he has multiple teams adding a guaranteed 4th year bidding for him.

Why not hold out until the madness quiets down? Spring training aint' for another month. If the phones don't ring for a week then he can decide.
    Exactly. If I were JD I’d stretch this out as long as I can. I’d be hoping Ozuna signs somewhere so teams have one less fall back option. Hell I’d even hope someone trades for KB before I sign. Teams will get more desperate the longer this stretches out and it only gets better for JD.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Exactly. If I were JD I’d stretch this out as long as I can. I’d be hoping Ozuna signs somewhere so teams have one less fall back option. Hell I’d even hope someone trades for KB before I sign. Teams will get more desperate the longer this stretches out and it only gets better for JD.
    Two way street. As more teams go to the fall backs the less teams are interested in signing him to a max plus deal. Say the Braves trade for KB. Now only two teams are left in the running.
    Coppy