Page 181 of 289 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmore80 View Post
    If we could trade Greene and Duval and maybe a minor league pitcher for Marte and somehow trade Ender for a cheap young backup OF or use Ortega As a backup and Riley as platoon with NMarkakis could we afford Donaldson and Marte?
    If the Pirates are trading Marte, it is to shed payroll and rebuild at the same time. No way they take Greene or Duvall much less both.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    If the Pirates are trading Marte, it is to shed payroll and rebuild at the same time. No way they take Greene or Duvall much less both.
    I was sort of hoping he was saying trade Duvall and Greene and then trade for Marte and not hey let’s give the Pirates our salary dump guys with little value for an all star outfielder.
    Coppy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-05-2020), JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Sooo...if we sign JD...that’s great. We would have not given up ONE prospect.

The problem is....we really needed to make a trade from our pitching depth to clear some of the log jam.

What would that be? Ender and pitching for Haniger? The would clear a little payroll.

Pitching and Riley for another starting pitcher?

At this point...that’s the only two plays left I see. An outfielder or starting pitcher.
    Touki, Wright, Newk (who could be in the pen), and Anderson is a log jam. I dont know about that one, chief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Greene, Melancon and Hamels will hit free agency after this season. With the normal attrition for pitchers we are going to have 5-6 openings in 2021. I'm fine with keeping our pitching prospects and sifting them through various roles this year to see who will fit in best at the major league level in 2021. AA has revealed himself as something of a prospect hoarder and imo that is a good thing.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-05-2020), JohnAdcox (01-05-2020), weso1 (01-05-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Greene, Melancon and Hamels will hit free agency after this season. With the normal attrition for pitchers we are going to have 5-6 openings in 2021. I'm fine with keeping our pitching prospects and sifting them through various roles this year to see who will fit in best at the major league level in 2021. AA has revealed himself as something of a prospect hoarder and imo that is a good thing.
    He should be. It is the cheapest way to build an effective winner. Imagine if Anderson or Pache hit, coupled with the cheap contracts of oz and acuna PLUS soroka being cheapish another 3-4 years. That is a lot of wins for pennies on the dollar.
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He should be. It is the cheapest way to build an effective winner. Imagine if Anderson or Pache hit, coupled with the cheap contracts of oz and acuna PLUS soroka being cheapish another 3-4 years. That is a lot of wins for pennies on the dollar.
    We have a chance for a long window of contention. We have a chance to win multiple championships. Not too many mid-market franchises get into this position. I think AA recognizes what he's got.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    If the choice is to overpay for JD and keep all of the prospects other than the lost draft pick, or overpay in prospects to get a JD replacement, I would go with JD.
    thank you weso1!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    If the choice is to overpay for JD and keep all of the prospects other than the lost draft pick, or overpay in prospects to get a JD replacement, I would go with JD.
    There is a third alternative. Which is what the gnats have done in spreading the $$ among some cheaper options.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I agree. Pache, Waters, and Anderson are a pretty trio to have for any team. We have a long window ahead of us.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The Braves have locked themselves into significant risk in an attempt to “go for it”, exactly as many around here have screamed about for years. They have probably increased their WS odds from 5% to 8% as a result, while risking 1-2 seasons in the next 3-4 years.

We are about to get a lesson in the price for “going all in”. Good news is AA has mitigated that risk by holding onto all prospects of note.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-05-2020 at 11:48 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves have locked themselves into significant risk in an attempt to “go for it”, exactly as many around here have screamed about for years. They have probably increased their WS odds from 5% to 8% as a result, while risking 1-2 seasons in the next 3-4 years.

We are about to get a lesson in the price for “going all in”. Good news is AA has mitigated that risk by holding onto all prospects of note.
    With Greene and MM coming off the books next year I doubt that money will be re invested into the bp with all the other options we have. Pache will be probably already be in the majors so that’ll make Ender expendable. I forgot about Hamels also.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 01-05-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How is this considered all in?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Well, Hamels/Markakis/MM/Greene/Duvall will be off the books, and good chance Ender is traded if Pache is the goods. Not totally an all in move but comes with risk.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Don't think you can go that far - both of those guys will make significantly less in 2020 than Marte, so they'd still be saving money. Would it take a huge prospect return? More than likely, but they aren't likely going to tell someone no if they get two really good pieces AND can still save significant money.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-05-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Don't think you can go that far - both of those guys will make significantly less in 2020 than Marte, so they'd still be saving money. Would it take a huge prospect return? More than likely, but they aren't likely to tell someone no if they get two really good pieces AND can still save significant money.
    Contreras, Wilson, and Duvall for Marte.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I was sort of hoping he was saying trade Duvall and Greene and then trade for Marte and not hey let’s give the Pirates our salary dump guys with little value for an all star outfielder.
    What if we throw in Ender?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Well, Hamels/Markakis/MM/Greene/Duvall will be off the books, and good chance Ender is traded if Pache is the goods. Not totally an all in move but comes with risk.
    Agreed, and hopefully most of those guys will be replaced with cheap internal options.

As I said, AA has done a good job mitigating the risks associated with the Smith and JD deals.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    There is a third alternative. Which is what the gnats have done in spreading the $$ among some cheaper options.
    That is still a possible plan. Only we’ll be spreading the $$ among our cheaper options: Pache, Waters, Anderson etc. This is a perfect time to spend the extra money on a hitter (JD).

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This. Assuming a Donaldson return. I wouldn't even get in a hurry to trade Riley if Donaldson comes back.

Unless someone's willing to offer a proven AND controllable OF piece (or TOR arm) for Pitchers that aren't likely going to be in the rotation on Opening Day, keep them all. Pache and Waters are probably 200-300 ABs away from being ready, and may well turn out to be better than whomever you'd be trading for.

Logjams are exactly what you want - as long as you don't have holes.

Pitching logjams always work themselves out - ALWAYS. If Donaldson is here for another 4 years, the only "hole" you're going to have is that "Ace", and if Soroka and Fried continue their development curves you may have that guy already too. If you could get a Clevinger/Bieber/Montas/Luzardo/Snell/Glasnow type by packaging a couple arms and one of Waters or Riley, knock yourself out. Otherwise hold onto all of them until you've got a better idea of exactly what Riley, Pache, and Waters are going to be.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    That is still a possible plan. Only we’ll be spreading the $$ among our cheaper options: Pache, Waters, Anderson etc. This is a perfect time to spend the extra money on a hitter (JD).
    Excellent point. Now is the perfect time to splurge on the perfect hitter in the medium term. Whether or not that hitter is JD is certainly open for debate, but AA clearly loves the guy.