Results 4,321 to 4,340 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I barged in at the idea that the last half of our lineup is crap. Nothing has changed from today than yesterday other than 1 of the options to fix 3B is now off the table.

Nothing has changed except the incumbent 3B, the last free agent option to address the position adequately, is now off the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    While we all aimlessly wait around for something to happen, let’s talk about Carlos Beltran. Do you think he keeps his job with the Mets? I understand he was just hired, but if MLB finds out he was the ring leader of the whole cheating scandal in Houston I wonder if the Mets get in front of it and fire him. Not that I put much credit in him, but Tex said on ESPN this am they should and will fire him.

It would be such a Mets thing to stick with him and deal with the backlash all season.
    I read multiple places he sung like a canary, so his punishment will likely be lighter than the rest. Also- he was a player at the time so no player has been punished to date.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why are the Rays trading one of their starting 3B while trying to compete. Just curious.
    Well there is no indication they will, but I think you answered your own question with the bolded part. Having multiple quality options at one spot gives you the flexibility to trade one of them to upgrade other areas of your team without opening up a hole somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why are the Rays trading one of their starting 3B while trying to compete. Just curious.
    Always good to look at things from the other team's perspective. They are a very deep team. They just signed a couple guys, one from Korea and one from Japan, who will add to their roster crunch among position players.

And they use pitchers in a way that plays up the value of a young arm like Touki, Weigel, or Ynoa. Someone who can relieve or start, or be used as an opener. And who still has an option or two.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-15-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    A lot of people, for right or wrong, have said one of the main reasons a team stockpiles prospects is to trade them to fill a void. Yes, it’s nice to have depth to protect yourself from a hole due to injuries, but do you think we ever purge some of our prospect depth for a big name, impact player?

If we’re not going to purge for Arenado what bigger impact player would we purge for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    A lot of people, for right or wrong, have said one of the main reasons a team stockpiles prospects is to trade them to fill a void. Yes, it’s nice to have depth to protect yourself from a hole due to injuries, but do you think we ever purge some of our prospect depth for a big name, impact player?

If we’re not going to purge for Arenado what bigger impact player would we purge for?
    There is very little surplus value in Arenado's deal. But if the Rockies ate some of the salary then yeah it would make sense to use the farm system in that way. It all depends on price (combination of $ and prospect capital in this case).

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

If we are ever going to trade high end prospects, its going to be for a controllable guy who doesn't have a ridiculous price tag. Even if the Rockies were going to send a bunch of money in the deal, citing Arenado as the ideal "trade the prospects" target is just strange. If they sent 50 million dollars in that deal over his remaining 7 years, we'd still be paying the guy nearly 30 million dollars a year until age 35. And that is not factoring in his opt out (which he isn't going to waive because that makes no sense at all).

If we trade away our high end talent, it needs to be for a guy with actual surplus value. Someone who is an impact player in his first year of arbitration or something like that. Not a player who is being paid his market value when there were numerous free agent options who we could have picked up and kept the prospects.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There is very little surplus value in Arenado's deal. But if the Rockies ate some of the salary then yeah it would make sense to use the farm system in that way. It all depends on price (combination of $ and prospect capital in this case).
    I just can't see a realistic amount of money for the Rockies to send over in order for a deal like that to make sense. At this point, I don't think we have the room to add 25 million dollars to our payroll. In order for Arenado to get DOWN to even that number, the Rockies would have to send nearly 70 million dollars over the next 7 years. To get down to a realistic number of added payroll, it would take way more money than I think the Rockies would be willing to send.

What is the most amount of cash ever sent over in a trade for a player? I don't know this as fact, but I suspect that any Arenado deal would have to shatter that record.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Braves just signed Solarte to a minor league deal. I really liked him a couple years ago.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    The problem is let’s say Arenado didn’t have a monster contract tied to him, why would a team want to trade him for a bunch of prospects? I can kind of see it if they suck, but then why not build around that player?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    The problem is let’s say Arenado didn’t have a monster contract tied to him, why would a team want to trade him for a bunch of prospects? I can kind of see it if they suck, but then why not build around that player?
    Stuff like this literally happens all the time. The reason bad teams trade good players without monster contracts is because they don't want to waste that player's value on a non-contending team. Instead you trade that player to acquire future value in prospects. Those prospects will help you when you're ready to be competitive again and you won't be wasting any value. That's exactly what the White Sox did when they were off trading Chris Sale and Jose Quintana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    that's why it's rare to see a yuge trade involving a guy who is under contractual control for many years on team friendly terms

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Easy. Because they’re rebuilding and by the time they’re relevant again Nolan will be past his prime. If you can get rid of the contract now and not have to be anchored down by it then good. thats why the Freeman extension made sense because our competitive window started a few years before his contract ended and he becomes an old 1b
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    that's why it's rare to see a yuge trade involving a guy who is under contractual control for many years on team friendly terms
    Its really not THAT rare, depending on how you define that word. You usually see a trade or two like that every year, depending on how many teams are rebuilding at a given time. We just have the unfortunate luck that there are very few teams who seem to be in rebuild mode at the moment. The ones who are seem to either not want to trade obvious candidates or don't have the pieces we would want.

It still blows my mind that the Royals are holding on to Whit Merrifield and that we haven't heard more from the Mariners/Orioles regarding Haniger/Mancini. In my mind, it literally makes absolutely zero sense to hold on to those guys.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Solarte our cleanup! 🤣

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    And you could have just paid Rendon without surrendering players in return.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    4h4 hours ago
    More
    Braves do like Marcell Ozuna. It’s believed they at least touched base with Castellanos too, but Ozuna seems more likely. They need middle of order bar to replace Donaldson. Might be easier to go the free agent OF route than fashion blockbuster for superstar 3B Arenado or Bryant.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    If we are ever going to trade high end prospects, its going to be for a controllable guy who doesn't have a ridiculous price tag. Even if the Rockies were going to send a bunch of money in the deal, citing Arenado as the ideal "trade the prospects" target is just strange. If they sent 50 million dollars in that deal over his remaining 7 years, we'd still be paying the guy nearly 30 million dollars a year until age 35. And that is not factoring in his opt out (which he isn't going to waive because that makes no sense at all).

If we trade away our high end talent, it needs to be for a guy with actual surplus value. Someone who is an impact player in his first year of arbitration or something like that. Not a player who is being paid his market value when there were numerous free agent options who we could have picked up and kept the prospects.

It probably makes sense to acquire players in a price range that won't make Acuna and Albies feel like jackasses too, which is the kind of player you are describing would have surplus value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Easy. Because they’re rebuilding and by the time they’re relevant again Nolan will be past his prime. If you can get rid of the contract now and not have to be anchored down by it then good. thats why the Freeman extension made sense because our competitive window started a few years before his contract ended and he becomes an old 1b
    Is that the logic for trading Arenado or is the logic that he's going to opt out of his deal and the Rockies would get nothing for him?

I've heard that advanced/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    4h4 hours ago
    More
    Braves do like Marcell Ozuna. It’s believed they at least touched base with Castellanos too, but Ozuna seems more likely. They need middle of order bar to replace Donaldson. Might be easier to go the free agent OF route than fashion blockbuster for superstar 3B Arenado or Bryant.
    3/48 does he accept?