Results 4,381 to 4,400 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why do I keep reading about Nolan waiving how opt out. Can anyone explain why he would ever do that. The next person who says that should be shot in the sun.
    You need to get your gun out then, What would be the big benefit for Arenado to waive out if he is playing for a contender at the time? More money? A big big gamble. More years?" Maybe but probably would reduce the AAV.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Why do I keep reading about Nolan waiving how opt out. Can anyone explain why he would ever do that. The next person who says that should be shot in the sun.
    I can't imagine anyone thinks it's not a legitimate possibility given how quickly baseball's financial landscape changes. There wasn't a single poster here who imagined Donaldson would get 4/$92 million when he signed a pillow deal last winter - there's very little reason to believe that Trout will be the only $40 million per player 2 years from now IMO. I remember plenty of conversations about there being "no way" Strasburg was going to opt out of his deal.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I would further say that ANY trade of Arenado will have to include a waiver of the opt out before concluding the trade. Especially with the return Colo seems to want and the money in return potential trade partners may likely ask for.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I would further say that ANY trade of Arenado will have to include a waiver of the opt out before concluding the trade. Especially with the return Colo seems to want and the money in return potential trade partners may likely ask for.
    lol but why would Arenado waive it? simply to play for a contender? i don't think you can find ONE player who would waive that much monetary security to play for a contender...it doesn't happen. so talking about it over and over is silly and pointless because it's completely unrealistic.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    lol but why would Arenado waive it? simply to play for a contender? i don't think you can find ONE player who would waive that much monetary security to play for a contender...it doesn't happen. so talking about it over and over is silly and pointless because it's completely unrealistic.
    Giancarlo Stanton didn't. And is very happy he didn't.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Nolan is not going to waive his opt out. That is his safety net. If he keeps playing at an all star level then he will opt out and cash in an even bigger payday. If he doesn’t or gets hurt he collects his already huge contract. There is nothing Colorado or the Braves or the Yankees or any team can do to make him waive that opt out. You could renegotiate his contract and guarantee him more money but why would a team do that when they could just wait for the opt out and then offer a new contract.

Stop saying we can ask Nolan to waive his opt out. That won’t happen.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Only if he wanted out of Colorado to go to a competing team might he be willing to do it. But certainly, it seems extremely unlikely he would do that.
    Last edited by Carp; 01-16-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts

He is already playing on a good team and if he wants to play for another team then he can in 2 years.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    maybe AA could convince Arenado to void the contract and then sign for $15M per year for the next 5 years. AA can also ask for a team option on the 6th year at $5M. this is reasonable and good for the Braves while being terrible for the player, so maybe it can happen and we should discuss it???
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He is already playing on a good team and if he wants to play for another team then he can in 2 years.
    yes but it is good for the Braves if he's willing to waive it so literally nothing else matters, let's discuss this possibility.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    maybe AA could convince Arenado to void the contract and then sign for $15M per year for the next 5 years. AA can also ask for a team option on the 6th year at $5M. this is reasonable and good for the Braves while being terrible for the player, so maybe it can happen and we should discuss it???
    worked with Acuna and Albies
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    No waiver, no trade. End of conversation.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Only if he wanted out of Colorado to go to a competing team might he be willing to do it. But certainly, it seems extremely unlikely he would do that.
    This.

Is it unlikely he wants to? Of course. Impossible? Not by any stretch.

When he signed the deal, the money was enough for him because he felt like they were going to be able to win while paying him. That may or may not have changed, who knows? If his choice is stay there and watch Blackmon continue to decline and Story leave following next season since they can't afford all three of them, his opinion could be different than it was a year ago.

That chance is absolutely a very small one, but a legitimate one when you consider that he could spend the next 3-4 years watching them try to tear it down and start over in Colorado. The fact that he has a full no-trade clause could actually help matters - he could offset some of the potential lost income from not being able to renegotiate in 2 years by telling them he wants money added to the present deal or he will refuse to waive it. The fact that the only other interesting pieces they have that might be moved that can get them close-to-ready prospects for a quicker rebuild are Story, Marquez, and potentially Gray makes it tough to think they can turn things around quickly if he does stay unless they tear it all the way down around him and trade all of those guys.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This.

Is it unlikely he wants to? Of course. Impossible? Not by any stretch.
    it's not literally impossible as he's technically able to do it. there's just legitimately a zero percent chance he would. AT WORST he can opt out in 2 years and move on from there if he dislikes the situation that much. there's far, far too much value and security in his deal to voluntarily give it up. it will never, ever happen.

all some people are doing here is laying out why it's unlikely he'll be traded period unless Colorado kicks in cash for each year he's on his new team. that's something that is actually possible and worth discussing. him waiving his opt-out will never be a thing, and i severely doubt any team would even approach him about doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Very telling that Arenado has not commented in any manner what so ever.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Very telling that Arenado has not commented in any manner what so ever.
    telling of what?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Nolan is not going to waive his opt out. That is his safety net. If he keeps playing at an all star level then he will opt out and cash in an even bigger payday. If he doesn’t or gets hurt he collects his already huge contract. There is nothing Colorado or the Braves or the Yankees or any team can do to make him waive that opt out. You could renegotiate his contract and guarantee him more money but why would a team do that when they could just wait for the opt out and then offer a new contract.

Stop saying we can ask Nolan to waive his opt out. That won’t happen.
    Folks suggesting he will waive his opt out without significant compensation are the same people who think an opt out is good for the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i wonder if Brett Gardner was willing to play for anyone besides the Yankees. his one year deal looks like a steal compared to Markakis. not sure how much sense he would've made as a guy who can't hit lefties very well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks suggesting he will waive his opt out without significant compensation are the same people who think an opt out is good for the team.
    the compensation is playing for Atlanta, duh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    telling of what?
    Telling like: I have a full no trade clause and Im invoking it.