Results 4,961 to 4,980 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i don't think it would be super easy to trade Inciarte in general
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Yes I agree. But if that is the case then ender would not go back to them. We would have to trade prospects for Bryant and then flip Ender while his value is low. Doesn’t seem optimal in my opinion. I would love Bryant. But it just isn’t going to happen. Get a lefty platoon bat for 3rd. Trade someone off the 40 for swhatever you can get and go to battle.
    And again, I never proposed Ender would go to the Cubs so I don't know who you're talking to. I said we could trade Ender to free up money, I have been clear in saying that's probably not to the Cubs. We've done well at holding prospects, we can easily give a package for Bryant that won't cripple the system. Ender's not some crazy value sink like some of you guys are making him out to be, either.

Still, trading MM or Greene is more along the lines that I was thinking... and no, not to the Cubs
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 01-23-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    And again, I never proposed Ender would go to the Cubs so I don't know who you're talking to. I said we could trade Ender to free up money, I have been clear in saying that's probably not to the Cubs. We've done well at holding prospects, we can easily give a package for Bryant that won't cripple the system. Ender's not some crazy value sink like some of you guys are making him out to be, either.

Still, trading MM or Greene is more along the lines that I was thinking... and no, not to the Cubs
    I wasn’t talking to you but more in general. There are some who are proposing ender, Greene plus for Bryant. That doesn’t make sense. And ender is probably value neutral or negative. He is coming off an injury down year and won’t be easy to just trade. Again, trading him for nothing doesn’t make sense. If you want to go the Greene for a slot pick sure. But then I still fall back to the whole idea that the Cubs are going to trade him is crazy and they are floating it just to see if anyone will overpay greatly.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Ender's not some crazy value sink like some of you guys are making him out to be, either.
    i think Ender is good value. however you still gotta find a match and work something out. it's not like it's real easy, and he's also coming off an injury-plagued season. i wouldn't advocate dumping him for nothing just to clear salary.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-23-2020), jpx7 (01-23-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Mitch Haniger to have core muscle surgery and miss 6-8 weeks

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Man, he did a number on that ball.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Super (01-24-2020), The Chosen One (01-23-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Another team foolishly holding on to a risky asset (age) while not being close to competing. Mitch should have been cashed in last off season or deadline for a very nice return. Now you have an aging player coming off a significant injury burning meaningful service time.
    Coppy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-23-2020), jpx7 (01-23-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Another team foolishly holding on to a risky asset (age) while not being close to competing. Mitch should have been cashed in last off season or deadline for a very nice return. Now you have an aging player coming off a significant injury burning meaningful service time.
    Seattle really dropped the ball here, coupled with bad luck. That’s now two years in a row with two significant injuries.

2020 is his 5th year. Is he arb 1 or arb 2 going into 2020? And he’s 29 so he’s in the middle of his prime. They really should have dealt him before last season began.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Whit Merrifield, Trey Mancini, and Matt Boyd waving in the distance.

Edit: forgot Matt Boyd

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Whit Merrifield, Trey Mancini, and Matt Boyd waving in the distance.

Edit: forgot Matt Boyd
    Lol. I am glad I didn’t completely make a mockery of that statement. I was actually think of Whit’s age when talking about Mitch. He is at least pretty close to the same age. But yes whit is an extremely dumb keep. He is about to be 31 and coming off a 4 win season. He isn’t getting any more valuable than right now.
    Coppy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-23-2020), Snowman (01-23-2020)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Should have traded Hanniger and set him Free........man, he might be a good pick up still, buying low on injury.

Maybe a Seager/Hanniger deal for Inciarte and some young pitching from the likes of Toussaint, Wilson, Muller etc. Braves can clear most of the payroll difference by moving Inciarte, Greene and Duvall either directly in the deal with the M's or in other deals or by cutting Duvall.

You might have to go with Pache as a defense only CF out of ST until Hanniger is back. But you could afford that for a while. Camargo, Riley, Culberson and Hech can fill in as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    that's not really what you're doing tho. it's trading Inciarte's plus Greene's plus cash to possibly use for a mid-season addition. obviously if it were only Inciarte v. Bryant to consider, it's not a tough choice.

What's the shaky OF platoon? Ender is fine in CF FT. I'll take 2-3 WAR from him there for his price. Duvall and Markakis being bench players will probably generate the same amount of WAR as them being starters.
    I also don't think the 3B would be below average if you go and sign Holt to platoon with Camargo. as i've said, i think you could get 3 WAR out of them in that scenario.

Ender in CF (let's say 2 WAR to be cautious), Camargo and Holt at 3B (3 WAR) = 5
    Duvall and Markakis in the OF (1 WAR) plus Bryant (4.7 WAR) = 5.7 for more money and prospect cost.

i would say Pache is too much of an unknown with the bat, but it's unlikely he's any worse than Hamilton there.

Inciarte, Greene and 5m are still pretty heavily outweighed by Bryant in my view.

I think offense is more important and I think any defensive loss can offset somewhat by Billy Hamilton or other, and then by Waters or Pache.

I think it's a relatively small gamble with low stakes and the expectation is that Inciarte won't be needed in 2021 anyway.

But I don't think the Braves can reach an agreement on the prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I wasn’t talking to you but more in general. There are some who are proposing ender, Greene plus for Bryant. That doesn’t make sense. And ender is probably value neutral or negative. He is coming off an injury down year and won’t be easy to just trade. Again, trading him for nothing doesn’t make sense. If you want to go the Greene for a slot pick sure. But then I still fall back to the whole idea that the Cubs are going to trade him is crazy and they are floating it just to see if anyone will overpay greatly.

that wasn't a proposed deal.

the hypothesis was that the Braves would have to move Greene and Inciarte's salary to accommodate Bryant's salary. Not necessarily to the Cubs.

So we were talking about whether you'd rather have Inciarte, Greene and 5m, or Bryant. I'd rather have Bryant.

Question is would you rather have what you could get for Inciarte and Greene and Bryant or what you'd have to give up for Bryant, 5m, Greene, and inciarte. that's way too far into the unknown to answer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    our 40 is full so we would have to dump Greene and ender before acquiring Bryant. And I agree. I don’t see why they would trade Bryant and still try to compete. That is like us trading FF to get two marginal players back plus a few prospects. It makes zero Sense.
    I think the bigger issue would be the Cubs making room of the 40 man for Ender, Greene, and 2 MLB ready prospects (say Riley and Wright)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    As usual, Mariners are too dumb to trade valuable assets at their peak during an rebuild. They could have gotten a haul of prospects this time last year.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Given all the money coming off the books in 2021, who do you guys think is the single most likely free agent that we end up going after?

I think the answer has to be Trevor Bauer. AA obviously likes the idea of giving short term contracts to free agents and Bauer has expressed a desire to take on one year deals in free agency to maximize his AAV and mobility. He seems like the perfect target for us and having a rotation with Soroka, Fried, Folty, and him is awfully appealing if we could make that happen without any long term commitment.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I also think someone like Realmuto would be a possibility if the catching situation doesn't work out perfectly this year.

But looking at next year's class, I actually think that it'll be really good for us. There isn't a ton of star power there, but there is a plethora of very good players who shouldn't require too much of an investment to acquire. Especially on the pitching side of things.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-23-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I also think someone like Realmuto would be a possibility if the catching situation doesn't work out perfectly this year.

But looking at next year's class, I actually think that it'll be really good for us. There isn't a ton of star power there, but there is a plethora of very good players who shouldn't require too much of an investment to acquire. Especially on the pitching side of things.
    Yeah other than Mook, there's not many guys who are gonna get 300+ mil. But more so, a bunch of guys in the 80-150 mil range, that's in AA's valley.

I'd be all over Realmuto if he hits free agency. I wonder if JT plays out this year, and doesnt take an extension from Philly. But the free agent market hasnt been kind to some players, so i can get both sides to it. I agree on Bauer, if he's gonna keep taking one year deals, i can for sure see AA offer a 1 year 23+ mil deal or so for him. Justin Turner i can also see AA go after if the 3B situation doesnt work out as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Pass hard on Realmuto. He'll be looking for more than the 4/73 that Grandal just signed. No catchers at 4+ years.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-23-2020), zbhargrove (01-24-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Time to trade for Haniger while his value is low.

Offer them Wilson straight up.
    Forever Fredi