Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    No surprise here, MooseTacos and Grandal both declined their mutual options with the Brewers to become free agents
    Like the Braves franchise, perhaps they'll move to Atlanta as well.
    Forever Fredi

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I'd go to two years for Grandal and basically let him choose his AAV, but I suspect he'll get at least a third year this winter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    I got a bad feeling we’re going to miss out on all the big free agents, and end up having to fill all of our needs through trades in order to field a contending roster next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    If we swing and miss on the 3b/C market, I think there's a good chance we'll look to upgrade the pitching to sort of compensate for the lost offense. SP actually seems fairly deep. Wheeler, Bumgarner, Hamels, Gio, DK, Odorizzi, ... Several good 2nd tier options after Stras and Cole.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I wonder if gaining a pick from JD would make them more likely to sign a QO SP like Wheeler.

We’ve yet to see the modern Braves give up a pick to sign a FA, so it will be very interesting to see how they play it now that they are squarely in contention.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Any thoughts on the lolmuts.
    Coppy

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Before we know / hear who all is available and if we will resign JD, I am curious to hear everyone's opinion on blocking prospects?

For example:
    What if HOU decided they really like Mueller & Wright...and would give us Tucker for both. Ignoring value comparisons of the trade, would you want to block one of the OF prospects?

if so, who would you do it for? Betts, Marte (Ari), Tucker (Hou), ???

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If we swing and miss on the 3b/C market, I think there's a good chance we'll look to upgrade the pitching to sort of compensate for the lost offense. SP actually seems fairly deep. Wheeler, Bumgarner, Hamels, Gio, DK, Odorizzi, ... Several good 2nd tier options after Stras and Cole.
    I wouldn't mind possibly going that direction....if you sign a combination of 2 of those guys, I think you could use your pitching depth to go out and upgrade C, cOF, and 3B
    Get off my lawn!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Today(Sat 11/2) is the deadline for Stras and Chapman to declare their Opt Out option of current contracts.

IMO, Stas should/will opt out and press Cole for the largest pitchers contract on record.

Chapman wants to extend with the Yuks so his decision is questionable.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Today(Sat 11/2) is the deadline for Stras and Chapman to declare their Opt Out option of current contracts.

IMO, Stas should/will opt out and press Cole for the largest pitchers contract on record.

Chapman wants to extend with the Yuks so his decision is questionable.
    Cole and Stras to Atl confirmed

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Josh named NL Comeback Player of the Year for 2019 by SN. This is old news but haven't seen it posted.

Snit named NL Manager of the year by SN for 2019. Again old news.

High Flight
    by

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Cole and Stras to Atl confirmed
    Cole's comments after the game 7 loss indicate he wants nothing to do with Astros in 2020 and beyond.

High Flight
    by

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA will try to resign JD quick like he did last year and if he can’t in the first few weeks I think he’ll move on to plan B pretty fast and check out Moose. Bumgarner is one I think AA will move quick on also.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Cole's comments after the game 7 loss indicate he wants nothing to do with Astros in 2020 and beyond.
    Cole will go where the mnoey and I doubt he really cares significantly where that is. If the Stros were to offer him the highest contract (they won't) he'd absolutely be back in Houston. I would guess he'll be a Yankee. But you certainly can't rule out one of the LA teams. The Padres are my dark horse.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Cole will go where the mnoey and I doubt he really cares significantly where that is. If the Stros were to offer him the highest contract (they won't) he'd absolutely be back in Houston. I would guess he'll be a Yankee. But you certainly can't rule out one of the LA teams. The Padres are my dark horse.

Angels seem to be favorites right now. Would be interesting. Showee and Garrett might be a good one two
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 11-02-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting questions that AA may well have to answer...

Will you go to 3 years and $48 million to get Grandal if that's what it takes?

Can you handle the gamble that Puig would represent for 2 years and $30 million?

Is Moose's wrist going to be a problem moving forward, can you get him on a similar deal to Puig, and are you willing to move Riley if you can?

If he CAN do those things, the money's probably there to address the holes while keeping most of the system depth. If not, he's probably going to have to make the blockbuster he hasn't yet been willing to. If he lets Julio and Markakis walk...

Acuna ($1,000,000), Albies ($1,000,000), Freeman ($22,050,000), Puig ($15,000,000), Grandal (16,000,000), Moose ($15,000,000), Dansby ($3,300,000), Ender ($7,250,000)

Flowers ($6,000,000), Culberson ($1,800,000), Camargo ($1,600,000), Duvall ($3,800,000)

Soroka ($600,000), Fried ($600,000), Folty ($7,500,000), Newk ($600,000), Wright/Wilson/Anderson/Davidson/Muller ($600,000)

Melancon ($14,000,000), Greene ($6,500.000), Minter ($600,000), Jackson ($1,900,000), Dayton ($800,000), Sobotka/Webb/Touki/Weigel/Ynoa ($600,000)

puts salaries at $132,100,000 (including the buyouts for Markakis, Julio, and Hamilton) with two pen spots to fill. Slow-playing the RP market probably gets you some combination of O'Day, Martin, Tomlin, Neshek, Strop, Cishek, Brach, David Hernandez, etc., gets you awfully close to that $130 million goal everyone's been kicking around, and it'd be pretty tough to argue that replacing Donaldson, Mac, and Markakis with Moose, Grandal, and Puig doesn't significantly improve the offense and deepen the lineup. This leaves you with money as well as Riley and Waters as potential trade chips should you need to shift Newk to the pen and go get another SP at the deadline. It's a gamble, sure, but if you believe that a full and healthy offseason gets Folty back to where he was during the second half of 2019 it might not be a bad one - if it gets him back to 2018 Folty, you're really onto something.

I think the decision may have already quietly been made that they're not going outside the organization to address the rotation - at least not yet. The fact that they've already told Bowman that they're going to stretch Newk back out points to that. They now feel comfortable with Soroka, Fried, and Folty at the top, feel like they've kept the right arms, and believe that two of Newk, Wright, Wilson, Anderson, Davidson, or Muller will become 2020's Soroka and Fried of 2019. If Newk does finally take that step forward, it should be relatively simple to use secondary pieces to go get a lefty for the pen at the deadline if Minter and Dayton aren't taking care of business - or you might even try Davidson and/or Muller there at some point.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-02-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I just cant see how a 97 win team and the following disappointment does some of these deals. Puig foremost. But aside from the deals how does one even propose to go into a new season with the rotation you put up there. Moose I could see if you are sure Camargo and Riley aren't viable in JD goes away but he isn't the total package. IMO the rotation has to be addressed in a positive way. Think you are a bit high on your dollars for Puig and Moose as well. Not meaning to criticize just my input.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I just cant see how a 97 win team and the following disappointment does some of these deals. Puig foremost. But aside from the deals how does one even propose to go into a new season with the rotation you put up there. Moose I could see if you are sure Camargo and Riley aren't viable in JD goes away but he isn't the total package. IMO the rotation has to be addressed in a positive way. Think you are a bit high on your dollars for Puig and Moose as well. Not meaning to criticize just my input.
    Those numbers may very well be high (and it'd be great if it took less) - they're just numbers that possibly get accepted right away. What are the chances other teams are willing to go higher, and what are the chances Moose or Puig pass if they get offered those numbers? Offering those would be like AA jumping out there early for Donaldson last winter. If he added those guys early on, he could then sit back the rest of the winter and see what kind of unforeseen inexpensive SPs might become available like the Paxton deal in 2019.

I definitely think it's a gamble, and have said several times I think the rotation should be addressed - the money's just not there to fill every hole. AA's going to have to go cheap - at least initially - either behind the plate, at 3B, or on an OF corner if he addresses the rotation. Waiting until midseason to do so worked out just fine last season, and that's typically when more teams fall out of it and are willing to deal anyway - we've got enough ready arms to cobble things together until then, and if a blockbuster presented itself in June or July AA would certainly be in position to pull it off.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    He just wants to get paid, guess would be the Angels but we'll see.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    AA will try to resign JD quick like he did last year and if he can’t in the first few weeks I think he’ll move on to plan B pretty fast and check out Moose. Bumgarner is one I think AA will move quick on also.
    Would be very surprised if AA went after Bumgarner, but Scheff brought up an interesting point. If we're not keeping JD, would AA go after someone with a pick attatched.