Page 289 of 289 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289
Results 5,761 to 5,779 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    There is a difference between not inviting a friend over for a party because he might not mesh well with others versus not inviting little timmy over for the annual little league party because he wasn’t very good and picked his nose all season.
    Coppy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Larry David needs to make an episode about this.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-19-2020), jpx7 (02-19-2020), Snowman (02-19-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    "Braves: Atlanta lost Josh Donaldson to free agency and pivoted to Marcell Ozuna. The team has increased salary but likely is still cost-conscious. Moving Ender Inciarte in a Bryant trade would still add more than $10 million to the Braves’ payroll but might make a deal possible with Austin Riley and Kyle Wright or Bryse Wilson heading to Chicago as well. Adding three players ready for the big leagues would let the Cubs still compete without Bryant in 2020 while also getting younger and cheaper in the process."

Saw this blurb in FanGraphs article. I would do Inciarte, Riley, and Wilson for Bryant. I would do it even while thinking it was somewhat pricy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-19-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    "Braves: Atlanta lost Josh Donaldson to free agency and pivoted to Marcell Ozuna. The team has increased salary but likely is still cost-conscious. Moving Ender Inciarte in a Bryant trade would still add more than $10 million to the Braves’ payroll but might make a deal possible with Austin Riley and Kyle Wright or Bryse Wilson heading to Chicago as well. Adding three players ready for the big leagues would let the Cubs still compete without Bryant in 2020 while also getting younger and cheaper in the process."

Saw this blurb in FanGraphs article. I would do Inciarte, Riley, and Wilson for Bryant. I would do it even while thinking it was somewhat pricy.

I would probably do that as well. And I'm a big fan of Ender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah I agree with this. I also think that policing this sort of thing (culturally) creates too broad of a standard, and that's always a bad thing when it comes to speech. I am happy to live in a country where our speech problems are cultural and not a matter of law, like they are in so many European countries nowadays.

The first amendment is my second favorite, next to the the 3rd. Taking my speech is one thing, but you can GTFOH if you try to quarter a soldier in my house.
    My favorite amendment is the 13th. That’s how much I hate racism.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    You are my brother Cy. I’m in this boat. But a lot of people talk sh@t in safe places. Love that post.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I probably watch the movie Lincoln every few months.

Tommy Lee kills it. Love his speeches on the House Floor, then his speech to the guy in the corner about the constitution's only mention of slavery is its absolute prohibition.
    Forever Fredi

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I probably watch the movie Lincoln every few months.

Tommy Lee kills it. Love his speeches on the House Floor, then his speech to the guy in the corner about the constitution's only mention of slavery is its absolute prohibition.
    But when does he kill vampires.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    But when does he kill vampires.
    No, no, that one is zombies, just the way Louisa May Alcott wrote it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The only good thing about the current political climate is that now folks are speaking their minds and I can finally judge who the ****ty people around me are. I’ve gotten to see the real side of people I thought I knew my whole life.

So yeah, let them speak however they want. I appreciate the information.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The only good thing about the current political climate is that now folks are speaking their minds and I can finally judge who the ****ty people around me are. I’ve gotten to see the real side of people I thought I knew my whole life.

So yeah, let them speak however they want. I appreciate the information.
    You are spot on! I can't believe the vitriol of those who claimed to be...friends. Good times......

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Holt’s deal is worth a guaranteed $3.25MM, Rosenthal tweets. It comes with a $5MM club option or a $750K buyout in 2021, and has incentives worth $250K each for 400, 425 and 450 plate appearances.

I would have liked to see the Braves top that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Holt’s deal is worth a guaranteed $3.25MM, Rosenthal tweets. It comes with a $5MM club option or a $750K buyout in 2021, and has incentives worth $250K each for 400, 425 and 450 plate appearances.

I would have liked to see the Braves top that.
    So if I'm reading this correctly, 2.5 million for 2020, with top out potenial of 3.25 million, and a 750k buyout at the end of the year? Yeah, that seems like a no brainer. Maybe we're still considering a big addition via trade for 3b.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-23-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So if I'm reading this correctly, 2.5 million for 2020, with top out potenial of 3.25 million, and a 750k buyout at the end of the year? Yeah, that seems like a no brainer. Maybe we're still considering a big addition via trade for 3b.
    Saw a blurb yesterday (think it was on MLBTR) that Seager mentioned to a reporter that he thought being traded was still a distinct possibility. I realize he's not the 3B most hope for, but he'd come the cheapest and is arguably the best fit with Ozuna on board. His LH bat would fit perfectly between Ozuna and the Catcher platoon, and if Waters or Pache replaced Acuna at the top of the order in 2021 you'd still have the L-R balance in the middle.

His salary is fixed, so you can pay him with Ozuna's money when he walks and still have Hamels/Melancon/Greene's money to spend on the rotation/pen without a 2021 payroll increase.

The question is, does AA really have another $18-$20 million to spend THIS year??? The rumors that keep tying us to Bryant typically stay away from that question.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Seagar's 2022 option becomes a player option if he's traded. The Mariners would likely have to kick in roughly half of his remaining contract for anyone to touch Seagar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Seagar's 2022 option becomes a player option if he's traded. The Mariners would likely have to kick in roughly half of his remaining contract for anyone to touch Seagar.
    If you can get Seattle to pay a chunk of his salary, he could be a bargain. He had some injury issues the first half which I'm sure contributed to his 78 wRC+ and then tore it up second half with a 129 wRC+

He also had an uncharacteristic year last year against righties, with only a 91 wRC+... likely fueled by a .233 BABIP against righties.

Then he's a very good defender as well.

Fangraphs had a pretty good analysis on him as well... I'm much higher on the idea of Seager than I used to be: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/reports-...y-exaggerated/
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 02-21-2020 at 01:45 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-23-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I don't know about a bargain, but he would make sense if enough cash is changing hands. He's 32 though. I'd rather not be paying 35 year old Seagar 15 million. If he'd agree to some sort of small buyout of that last season (may be guaranteeing that 3 million buyout that is performance based currently), may be it could work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I don't know about a bargain, but he would make sense if enough cash is changing hands. He's 32 though. I'd rather not be paying 35 year old Seagar 15 million. If he'd agree to some sort of small buyout of that last season (may be guaranteeing that 3 million buyout that is performance based currently), may be it could work.
    Fangraphs has him at $14 million a year... if Seattle is paying half like you suggest then a 2-4 win player at $7 million a year is certainly a bargain. I mean we are paying 2-4 win players $18 million a year these days.

I never said he's a bargain at his current salary... I said "if Seattle pays a good chunk of his salary then he could be a real bargain"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Fangraphs has him at $14 million a year... if Seattle is paying half like you suggest then a 2-4 win player at $7 million a year is certainly a bargain. I mean we are paying 2-4 win players $18 million a year these days.

I never said he's a bargain at his current salary... I said "if Seattle pays a good chunk of his salary then he could be a real bargain"
    The big reason for mentioning Seager at all was because I think it'd be really interesting to see how much they'd be willing to eat in the event they got what would be perceived as a good enough return.

Given where they are with their rebuild (and another potential lost season from Haniger - plus the fact they're not likely going to get anything significant in a return for him moving forward), would they eat the 3rd year to get Riley (and maybe a throw-in)?

That suddenly makes him a $12 million/year player for the three years. Isn't that better than the original 4/$44 million Markakis deal that everyone hated?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?