Page 51 of 289 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    It seems like Cleveland could simply sign Jose Iglesias and likely get similar production to what they would probably get out of Swanson. So yeah, I'm not so sure Swanson holds a ton of value to them. May be a 3 team trade where Swanson goes somewhere like the Yankees or Brewers. The Indians will want several controllable assets that are major league ready. I imagine, any trade starts and ends with Pache, regardless if Swanson is included or not. Maybe there is hope they value Riley highly and he could be a centerpiece (I would guess not).
    Last edited by Carp; 11-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I know it is fun to talk about. But the tribe is not going to trade Lindor. Not for anything less than an overpay
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think they see their window as still open, even if they trade Lindor. i could see them wanting a replacement SS in that case. and Swanson won't ever cost nearly as much as Lindor is about to.
    You are correct. The Indians would want to spread Lindor’s 2 years of tremendous value out over several more years. It’s what low/mid market teams must do in order to remain competitive. I suspect they would like to check down to Swanson at SS if that means they could upgrade others areas long term.

Problem is, the Braves are also a low/mid payroll team that can’t afford to pile resources into 2 years of a SS. It would be a massive win now move that could severely impact the Braves ability to compete at the end of the Acuna/Albies era.

A Lindor trade only makes sense if the Indians love Swanson, and overvalue someone like Riley or Anderson (assuming Anderson’s spin rates are truly an issue).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-14-2019), UNCBlue012 (11-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This is why the Ms are going to continue being terrible:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-gonzales.html

After declining to sell high on 4 years of Haniger last year, they are open to selling low 3 on years of him this year.

On the flip side, they are opposed to selling high on 4 years of a SP.

Any team willing to sell low on 3 years of a position player while being unwilling to sell high on 4 years of a SP has no idea how to build a roster long term.

We also saw the Tigers fail to sell high on Fulmer and then on Boyd. These teams are among the dumbest in the game, and should be the ones AA targets as partners.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-14-2019 at 11:51 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-15-2019), Garmel (11-14-2019), JohnAdcox (11-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It seems like Cleveland could simply sign Jose Iglesias and likely get similar production to what they would probably get out of Swanson. So yeah, I'm not so sure Swanson holds a ton of value to them. May be a 3 team trade where Swanson goes somewhere like the Yankees or Brewers. The Indians will want several controllable assets that are major league ready. I imagine, any trade starts and ends with Pache, regardless if Swanson is included or not. Maybe there is hope they value Riley highly and he could be a centerpiece (I would guess not).
    Right. Plus they are trading 2 years of Lindor, and getting 3 years of Swanson? I'm not sure that's appealing enough of value to take back. Depends on what their current plan is and what they view as their window of contention.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Problem is, the Braves are also a low/mid payroll team that can’t afford to pile resources into 2 years of a SS. It would be a massive win now move that could severely impact the Braves ability to compete at the end of the Acuna/Albies era.
    for me it would obviously be super dependent on who they want. if they value Riley pretty highly (they did value Jake Bauers pretty high), value Waters highly (who i'm personally more lukewarm on than others), and love Anderson (who i really like but would be willing to part with) plus a few fluff pieces, i don't think that would hurt the Braves' future *too* much. under no circumstance am i dealing Pache.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Interesting article about Braves current debt situation. I didn't see this posted. Long story short, Braves have 540 million in debt, and are continuing to take in more debt due to ongoing construction at The Battery and new Spring Training facility.

What is not clear is how much debt is being paid down and how much revenue The Battery is generating.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...CqXgr8EVvONAJ/

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    If I'm moving premium prospects I am doing it to get back something that's cost controlled, because that's the only way I see if addressing every need.

Lindor will make too much money to get the Braves out of the payroll trap and will deplete assets necessary to get someone that does.

But maybe that's the best they can do to replace Donaldson's value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    for me it would obviously be super dependent on who they want. if they value Riley pretty highly (they did value Jake Bauers pretty high), value Waters highly (who i'm personally more lukewarm on than others), and love Anderson (who i really like but would be willing to part with) plus a few fluff pieces, i don't think that would hurt the Braves' future *too* much. under no circumstance am i dealing Pache.
    Another team overvaluing a Braves asset is pretty much key to any trade making sense. That’s why AA needs to target dumb teams.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Rumblings that the A's may be willing to trade Marcus Semien. Coming off an 8 WAR season and potentially the MVP award, he won't be cheap. Will be interesting to see who jumps in the bidding if they do make him available. The Yanks and Brewers are an obvious fit for need. Maybe the Rangers or Reds if they decide to make some win now moves. Other than that, it's hard to find the right market for such a trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Rumblings that the A's may be willing to trade Marcus Semien. Coming off an 8 WAR season and potentially the MVP award, he won't be cheap. Will be interesting to see who jumps in the bidding if they do make him available. The Yanks and Brewers are an obvious fit for need. Maybe the Rangers or Reds if they decide to make some win now moves. Other than that, it's hard to find the right market for such a trade.
    Always smart to sell high. Pretty amazing the way Semien has brought down the K rate which increasing the power.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    So who had Will Smith in the first free agent to sign with the Braves pool?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    So who had Will Smith in the first free agent to sign with the Braves pool?
    I can't come to grips with this signing at all. Thought this had to be a mistake. The only explanation I can think of would be our payroll will be significantly increased this year. And we lose a pick?!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I can't come to grips with this signing at all. Thought this had to be a mistake. The only explanation I can think of would be our payroll will be significantly increased this year. And we lose a pick?!!
    I would have bet any amount of anything the Braves would never give up a draft pick to sign a BP arm to a 3 year deal...and I would have lost.

This goes completely against AA's prior MO, so we can now give up trying top predict what he's going to do. I don't even think our $130M projection for the opening day payroll is necessarily correct anymore.

Buckle up I guess...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I would have bet any amount of anything the Braves would never give up a draft pick to sign a BP arm to a 3 year deal...and I would have lost.

This goes completely against AA's prior MO, so we can now give up trying top predict what he's going to do. I don't even think our $130M projection for the opening day payroll is necessarily correct anymore.

Buckle up I guess...
    I think he’s been given a bigger bump in payroll then we thought. I didn’t think he would of given up a pick for anybody let alone a reliever.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Well Melancon nor Greene performed to their previous team production before becoming Braves. Neither did Martin. So I see the why if you are a contender where Smith has value but with all of the recognized voids its a puzzle. Should not be that difficult to move Greene if needed but I would think Melancon and Smith combined cuts heavy into budget regardless of amount.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Hypothetically speaking, if we signed another QO guy, just spitballing, would we lose our 1st or our 3rd.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

Buckle up I guess...
    I'm anxious and a little scared what might happen if AA got the green light to spend.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Now that AA has popped the QO cherry, he may as well continue signing QO FAs.

Please tell me he isn't going to give 3+ years to a BP arm a #3 SP like MadBum...

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Now that AA has popped the QO cherry, he may as well continue signing QO FAs.

Please tell me he isn't going to give 3+ years to a BP arm a #3 SP like MadBum...
    Braves have been linked to MadBum....