Page 6 of 289 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Waters and Pache should be in the conversation for OF next year. Not sure you can’t go in with a contingency plan though
    MAYBE Waters late in the year, but he has a ton of work to do and you need to see yuge progress from him to give that consideration.
    i think it's inevitable Pache will be up at some point tho.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Trying not to read too much into it, but it doesn’t sound like JD is coming back.

"We'll see. I enjoyed being here. I enjoyed my time here. I know that this organization has a bright future ahead of it."

— #Braves star Josh Donaldson on his future

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Phillies fires Kapler...

Don’t think Snit would be gone this offseason. There are now 8 open spots or so
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Trying not to read too much into it, but it doesn’t sound like JD is coming back.

"We'll see. I enjoyed being here. I enjoyed my time here. I know that this organization has a bright future ahead of it."

— #Braves star Josh Donaldson on his future
    If the money is right. His 1 year deal was for precisely this reason. To show he was healthy and can still play. He's going to get paid.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Phillies fires Kapler...

Don’t think Snit would be gone this offseason. There are now 8 open spots or so
    Kapler is not what's wrong with that team but hilarious regardless.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If the money is right. His 1 year deal was for precisely this reason. To show he was healthy and can still play. He's going to get paid.
    Braves got 5 war and a comp pick for $23M

Cant beat that

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    That QO will scare some teams off just like it did with DK and CK last year. Donaldson will be 34 at the end of the year so between that and the QO he’s not gonna get 4 years from anybody, heck 3 will be tough. I think Donaldson comes back on a 2 year deal with an option or 3 years with no option but I think it gets done pretty early on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Cant beat that
    one of the best signings of the off-season
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    That QO will scare some teams off just like it did with DK and CK last year. Donaldson will be 34 at the end of the year so between that and the QO he’s not gonna get 4 years from anybody, heck 3 will be tough. I think Donaldson comes back on a 2 year deal with an option or 3 years with no option but I think it gets done pretty early on.
    I'm ok with letting him go if he wants a longer deal than 2 years. I'd make a 2-year offer to Moose in that case.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Damn. Philly just made the biggest upgrade of the off-season by firing Kapler. Hopefully they continue their run on bad manager hires.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm ok with letting him go if he wants a longer deal than 2 years. I'd make a 2-year offer to Moose in that case.
    I'd offer 2 years to Mosse regardless. Let Moose and Riley platoon and spend the saved money on Grandal. Catching market is super thin and I'd rather not give Flowers another 80+ starts in 2020. 50-60 is quite enough.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Damn. Philly just made the biggest upgrade of the off-season by firing Kapler. Hopefully they continue their run on bad manager hires.
    not really. he is far from their true issue.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i don't think JD will get as much as people think. aging players haven't been getting the bag recently.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'd offer 2 years to Mosse regardless. Let Moose and Riley platoon and spend the saved money on Grandal. Catching market is super thin and I'd rather not give Flowers another 80+ starts in 2020. 50-60 is quite enough.
    I have a feeling JD and Mous will be stuck waiting until someone signs Rendon.

JD May be sitting around unsigned very late into the offseason. He is lining up to be that aging star who thinks he deserves $100M, when in reality nobody is going to offer more than 3-4 years. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the guy who doesn’t sign until after the draft.

The Braves need JD, Mous or some other 3b via trade. It’s beyond clear by now that Riley and Camargo aren’t answers going into 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    That would definitely be the way to be less stars and scrubsy. Others will say otherwise (especially on the other place), but we proved to be a better team when we had a more balanced lineup instead of just half of it working (or later on just a few guys doing something). Given Flowers age, I do not trust that he has a bounce back in his system in a platoon role, so I think the catching platoon idea needs to go away again.

Josh probably gets at least 20 per on a 2 year deal imo.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think that its basically inevitable that we'll have to fill a couple positions with a prospect next year. I'm not sure we have the money to fill every gap with external options. We're gonna have to find an external solution for catcher, so I think that is the spot we should focus on getting the biggest upgrade. Grandal is the obvious option, but there are some other intriguing possibilities. If we wanted to go with a bat-first option to complement Flowers' framing, we could try to sign Robinson Chirinos to a 1 year deal or swing a trade with the Mariners for Omar Narvaez. Narvaez would be an interesting platoon option with Flowers. There are a few other intriguing trade options and free agents. If Washington declines Gomes' option he'd be compelling. Jason Castro could be intriguing. Stephen Vogt is a thing that exists. Plenty of options here, but only one of them is amazing.

3rd base is going to be a bit more complicated. The simplest solution is to bring Donaldson back, but that only happens if we can get him on a shorter term deal than he probably wants. Obviously offer him the QO. If we fail to bring him back, we aren't fishing in the Rendon waters. The trouble is that there aren't that many good alternatives either. One option I haven't seen mentioned is trying to sign Jedd Gyorko on a cheap short term rebound contract after an awful year this year. If he proves to be completely healthy, he was a relatively consistent 3 win infielder with a good amount of versatility as well. I'm really not in love with any of the other free agent options. There are a few trade options out there, but the dream trade target for me would be Eduardo Escobar from the diamondbacks. He had a great year, has two years left on an insanely team friendly deal, he can play all over the field, and he's a competent switch hitter from both sides of the plate. I wanted him in free agency last year, but he quickly resigned with the D'backs. I'm not sure what Arizona's plans are, but if they signal rebuild then I think we should jump on this option. Technically, we could fill 3rd base with an internal solution of either Riley or Camargo, but I don't have much faith in either one being a starting caliber player on a playoff team. At least not yet. I suppose we could try them out at the beginning of the year and start looking for trade possibilities if that doesn't work out.

The outfield is a confusing mess. The only sure thing is Acuna. I think its likely we bring Ender back to fill CF, but that isn't certain. It just seems likely given what a healthy Ender brings to the table and the fact that he really is pretty cheap for what he is. We'd have to pay Markakis an extra 4 million to bring him back, and I think that is worth it provided we make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR to Snitker that he isn't an everyday outfielder. I also think we'll bring Duvall back as a bench option. I wouldn't be comfortable rolling with those 4 into next season, but I'm not sure we're going to have much of a choice. I wouldn't hate targeting Ozuna in free agency or trying to swing a trade for an everyday 3-4 win outfielder. But its hard to say that it'd be worth it considering we'd have 4 semi-competent major league outfielders coming back with 2 top 50 outfield prospects sitting in AAA next season. Ultimately, I think we'll end up staying relatively quiet on this front and I'm not sure if that is a mistake or not. We're in a weird spot here.

On the pitching side, just look for value. If we can bring in a starter or a reliever on team friendly deals that will impact the rotation and provide us with some depth, go for it. If that isn't there, then let's just roll with what we have and hope we see some further development from our prospects like Touki, Wright, Anderson, Wilson, Muller, and Ynoa. Let's also not forget about Patrick Weigel. We eased him back into action last year, but he looked pretty solid in his limited playing time. I don't know if we bring back Julio or not, but I feel relatively confident in our front 3 of Soroka, Fried, and Folty. We need to build around them, but I think that is a solid enough foundation to build a playoff-worthy rotation. I'm also curious to see what we do with Newcomb. Are we going to give him another shot as a starter or are we going to keep him in the pen, where he seems to play better. I also think we have a somewhat solid foundation in the bullpen with the guys we brought in plus some younger developing arms. We'll need to add a few pieces, but I think next year's pen will be fine.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-14-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Cant beat that
    Worked out amazingly for both parties

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    not really. he is far from their true issue.
    Twas a joke. But Kapler is truly awful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Putting Riley or Camargo at 3rd only works if they get a beast COF. Donaldson has an amazing season and helped get Freeman’s numbers where they are bc he had legitimate protection behind him. Whoever they get is gonna have to be a cleanup hitter and preferably RH. I think they’ll go hard after Grandal and I think they’ll resign Donaldson within a few weeks of the offseason starting.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Twas a joke. But Kapler is truly awful.
    idk, i think he could learn and would be willing to do whatever the numbers say if given to him. i doubt he'd play off intuition and cater to "veteran leadership" as much as someone like Snit does if someone like AA gave him the right info. i think the Phillies organization all-around stinks tho and couldn't convey these concepts correctly.