Results 3,541 to 3,560 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Good grief people. I know yÂ’all love to hate him but pick something different than the physics of throwing a baseball to argue with cheff over. He has hundreds of years of the study of physics backing him up
    Last night was an whole new level of comedy.

One guy attacking with the idea that I never played ball, so didn’t know anything about curves. When I told him I played quite a bit and asked about his credentials, he immediately went in panic deflection mode.

Another guy attacking from a position of changing the subject just enough that his contribution seemed on point, but didn’t really run counter to what I said.

His Derpness kept popping in wetting himself with delight that the argument was a 4 vs 1. Kind of like a little kid yelling “fight fight fight”.

Finally, my stalker white knight rides in on his steed to save all the helpless forum posters from the evil enscheff. What a hero! Always a true beacon of morality!

It was quite amusing to read while waiting for the wife to get ready for Friday night out. Thanks guys!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,322 Posts
    LOL!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The way my cosmology professor explained it the universe is like an expanding load of bread. Inside it are raisins (baseball teams). And inside the raisins are seeds (hitters, pitchers, bats, balls). The only thing that is happening is the bread is expanding as it gets baked. But no pitches are actually being thrown. That's all an illusion arising from how our brains perceive things.
    That view is pretty outdated now. See, at the quantum level, things are actually somehow affected by being observed, and if they have no observer they can blink right out of existence, or instantaneously teleport vast distances for no apparent reason. As far as we can tell, these same effects don't happen at the macro level, despite these larger-than-quantum objects being made entirely of those same unreliable quantum particles.... EXCEPT in the case of pitches. Nothing has as much an effect on a pitch as does the observer. Not gravity, not thermodynamics, not even grip. If the observer believes the pitch coming towards him is teleport-breaking at the last minute at a speed greater than 186k m/sec, it does so, and no one can stop it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-05-2020), Metaphysicist (01-04-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Last night was an whole new level of comedy.

One guy attacking with the idea that I never played ball, so didn’t know anything about curves. When I told him I played quite a bit and asked about his credentials, he immediately went in panic deflection mode.

Another guy attacking from a position of changing the subject just enough that his contribution seemed on point, but didn’t really run counter to what I said.

His Derpness kept popping in wetting himself with delight that the argument was a 4 vs 1. Kind of like a little kid yelling “fight fight fight”.

Finally, my stalker white knight rides in on his steed to save all the helpless forum posters from the evil enscheff. What a hero! Always a true beacon of morality!

It was quite amusing to read while waiting for the wife to get ready for Friday night out. Thanks guys!
    Are you doing this to entertain yourself or entertain others because everyone's waiting for Donaldson to sign?
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-04-2020), Metaphysicist (01-04-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Cubs supposedly want Robles for Bryant so talks have stopped between the two. The Cubs are gonna ask for a haul for any of their stars. That’s why I think AA pony’s up and pays JD.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-05-2020), VirginiaBrave (01-04-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If they want Robles from Washington, i dont wanna imagine what they want from the Braves. I'd probably want Robles if i was Chicago, Kieboom hasnt proven much, and they dont have a ton of extra great stuff after Robles/Kieboom.
    Last edited by Heyward; 01-04-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If they want Robles from Washington, i dont wanna imagine what they want from the Braves. I'd probably want Robles if i was Chicago, Kieboom hasnt proven much, and they dont have a ton of extra great stuff after Robles/Kieboom.
    They would want Pache no doubt. Plus more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That view is pretty outdated now. See, at the quantum level, things are actually somehow affected by being observed, and if they have no observer they can blink right out of existence, or instantaneously teleport vast distances for no apparent reason.
    This is proven by my car keys and tv remote.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-05-2020), Snowman (01-04-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Are you doing this to entertain yourself or entertain others because everyone's waiting for Donaldson to sign?
    He's doing both and neither at the same time.

Schrodinger's Dick is what they call it in the world of physics.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (01-04-2020), jpx7 (01-05-2020), Tapate50 (01-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I doubt Donaldson even exists.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (01-04-2020), jpx7 (01-05-2020), Metaphysicist (01-04-2020), Tapate50 (01-05-2020), The Chosen One (01-04-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    The Nationals have ended up doing what I suggested as a plan C for the Braves if they missed out on a big bat; sign veterans with upside on cheaper short term contracts to build a deeper lineup and preserve long term flexibility.

I kinda like what they have done, but if we end up getting Donaldson I think that'll push us over the top to be the favorites in the NL East in 2020 anyway. Especially if we're able to add Donaldson and another solid player after him through trade or a cheap FA signing.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Left field is gonna be a platoon of Muk and Doovy. That's been apparent for a while.
    I am well aware of that, don't need to be refreshed. I don't accept that as the best possible solution for the Braves. Several other posters have been very active about getting Marte, Ozuna or one of many others.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    If this JD rumor is correct the Braves are sitting at $155M+, which is truly remarkable. Even if they have to pare some away by dumping someone like Greene, the increase in payroll is very encouraging.

4/104 for a 34 year old JD and 3/40 for a 30 year old BP arm are the exact win now moves folks have been screaming for the last few years. We are about to see how these types of deals play out. Hopefully JD ages like Beltre, and Smith ages like...some BP arm that aged well.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    If this JD rumor is correct the Braves are sitting at $155M+, which is truly remarkable. Even if they have to pare some away by dumping someone like Greene, the increase in payroll is very encouraging.

4/104 for a 34 year old JD and 3/40 for a 30 year old BP arm are the exact win now moves folks have been screaming for the last few years. We are about to see how these types of deals play out. Hopefully JD ages like Beltre, and Smith ages like...some BP arm that aged well.
    Better he age like Julio Franco or Palmeiro! Lol

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

I'm just glad they're showing the willingness to spend after us fans turned up and turned out these past few seasons. Plus this team is close let's keep building.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

The Smith deal isnt that bad, in money per year. But RP's are so risky to spend money on. Could argue he should have gotten more.

Braves window is now, so time to spend is now/going forward. Lot of money is off the books after this year too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Wouldnt be surprised if a Donaldson deal included a low number for 2020 and high number for 2021, when Melancon, Hamels and some others come off the books.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-04-2020), jpx7 (01-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    I'm just glad they're showing the willingness to spend after us fans turned up and turned out these past few seasons. Plus this team is close let's keep building.
    Yes, they are certainly appeasing the short sighted instant gratification crowd.

Hopefully that same crowd isn’t upset in a couple years if the Braves can’t afford to build a contending roster...something tells me they will conveniently forget that they wanted these types of moves when the other shoe drops.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-04-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Yes, they are certainly appeasing the instant gratification crowd.

Hopefully that same crowd isn’t upset in a couple years of the Braves can’t afford to build a contending roster...something tells me they will conveniently forget that they wanted these types of moves when the other shoe drops.
    Hopefully by then we'll at least have a Championship to show for it lol. I'm gonna continue going to games regardless. I love the new stadium.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Wouldnt be surprised if a Donaldson deal included a low number for 2020 and high number for 2021, when Melancon, Hamels and some others come off the books.
    10.01/33.33/33.33/33.33