Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    It's my opinion, drinking alcohol serves no useful purpose at all other than to burn hard-earned money. I acquired this opinion from my late grandfather who beat alcoholism in the 1970s. I made him a promise in the early 90s not to drink and I haven't and I won't. It was an easy promise to make and an even easier one to keep when its made to someone you truly love and would give anything to have back as long as they would be healthy and without cancer that took them.
    Not judging your lifestyle choices; merely pointing out that, over the historical course of human civilizational development, alcohol was far from “unnecessary” as a technology.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I don't really drink, but if everyone else is, I get competitive.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I don't really drink, but if everyone else is, I get competitive.
    Especially if a corn hole game breaks out. AMIRITE???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    According to Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis, the Twins have had "nearly daily dialogue" with free agent Josh Donaldson.

Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported on Saturday that Twins had "grown pessimistic" about their chances of landing Donaldson, but Wolfson now writes that there is "no sense" the Twins have made their final offer to the power-hitting third baseman. Wolfson notes that Donaldson likely sees "a ton of appeal" in facing American League Central pitching as opposed to National League East pitching. Atlanta and Washington are believed to be the other likely destinations for the 34-year-old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    No one has any idea lmao

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    i prefer a good caucasian myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Bowman is reporting that the Braves don’t have near the highest bid and nobody has been asked to submit a final bid. The Twins are said to be around 4/85 and it’s doubtful that Donaldson will get anywhere near the 110 he’s wanting. That’s why this is dragging out is bc nobody is wanting to go to 100 million for him at his age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Uh oh

7:52pm: MLB.com’s Mark Bowman looks at the situation from the Braves’ standpoint, reporting that there’s some doubt that the Braves have even “come close” to making the top offer to Donaldson

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...donaldson.html

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    According to Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis, the Twins have had "nearly daily dialogue" with free agent Josh Donaldson.

Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported on Saturday that Twins had "grown pessimistic" about their chances of landing Donaldson, but Wolfson now writes that there is "no sense" the Twins have made their final offer to the power-hitting third baseman. Wolfson notes that Donaldson likely sees "a ton of appeal" in facing American League Central pitching as opposed to National League East pitching. Atlanta and Washington are believed to be the other likely destinations for the 34-year-old.
    I understand how much...and why...some folks around here hate it, but we're probably at the point that AA just needs to put an end to this - regardless of the result.

It's relatively obvious (and has been most of the winter) that Donaldson's preference is to come back. It's been just as obvious that we want him back. He's drawn his line in the sand and told everyone listening that "if you're the first to $110 million, I'm yours". It's simply time to put your cards on the table - if that 4/$104 million offer that was floated the other day is the absolute max you have left since you also need to add a backup SS and LH bat for the bench (and hopefully have a little flexibility come July), just tell him.

No hard feelings - if Minnesota's willing to push to $110 million and you want to live there for the next 4 years while pocketing an extra $6 million, congratulations and good luck, nobody thinks you're a bad guy. We've made our max offer and we expect an answer by Friday or we have to move on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we aren’t gonna go close to his asking price then he’s probably a goner imo. With the Cubs supposedly asking the moon for Bryant I’d probably pivot to the Rockies or the Mariners pretty soon. We can’t keep waiting on JD to make up his mind.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Bowman is reporting that the Braves don’t have near the highest bid and nobody has been asked to submit a final bid. The Twins are said to be around 4/85 and it’s doubtful that Donaldson will get anywhere near the 110 he’s wanting. That’s why this is dragging out is bc nobody is wanting to go to 100 million for him at his age.
    Still makes sense for AA to draw his own line in the sand too - regardless of the numbers (if that's 4/$80, so be it). We're five weeks out from Pitchers and Catchers reporting - time to settle on the roster if you plan to contend. If you let this drag out for another two weeks, you're not getting Ozuna or Castellanos either. Simply tell Donaldson that you're making matching 4/$80 million offers to Ozuna and Castellanos' camps Saturday morning, and the first guy to send the paperwork back hits behind Freeman for the next four years.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-07-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    If the Twins are at 4/85, and the Nats are at 4/90+ with their usual heavy deferments, there is no way the Braves need to offer 4/100+...which has already been proven to be a completely fake rumor. There is no reason to bid against themselves, and I’m relieved to read they haven’t gone insane with AAs man crush on JD.

At this point it seems like JD is waiting for some team to bid against themselves. I suspect once KB’s situation is finalized teams will be able to give JD their final offer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-07-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Twins are at 4/85, and the Nats are at 4/90+ with their usual heavy deferments, there is no way the Braves need to offer 4/100+...which has already been proven to be a completely fake rumor. There is no reason to bid against themselves, and I’m relieved to read they haven’t gone insane with AAs man crush on JD.

At this point it seems like JD is waiting for some team to bid against themselves. I suspect once KB’s situation is finalized teams will be able to give JD their final offer.
    What is taking MLB so long to make a determination on KB? It sucks that they’re essentially holding several teams hostage. It’s a cut and dry call. Either he has 1 more year or 2 more years of service. This isn’t rocket science.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    What is taking MLB so long to make a determination on KB? It sucks that they’re essentially holding several teams hostage. It’s a cut and dry call. Either he has 1 more year or 2 more years of service. This isn’t rocket science.
    It doesn’t seem like it’s that complicated. It’s gonna be 2 years. They are just dragging it out so the players union doesn’t get pissed off. Maybe a deal can be made with the Cubs that doesn’t include Pache or Anderson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    It doesn’t seem like it’s that complicated. It’s gonna be 2 years. They are just dragging it out so the players union doesn’t get pissed off. Maybe a deal can be made with the Cubs that doesn’t include Pache or Anderson.
    Doubtful after what they asked the Nats for. Donaldson and his high price tag is going to be less than any prospects we have to trade for KB or Arenado. I’m afraid if we don’t sign JD we’ll likely add something small and not terribly exciting like Castellanos. Sigh.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-07-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Not going to make much difference regardless of the decision if their asking price is what's reported so far - Theo's not getting Robles or Pache for him, so he's only dealing with Texas unless he wakes up.

What is so sad (for Cubs fans) is that he's being so shortsighted so far - he could probably get Frazier and Andujar for Schwarber and Riley, Wright or Anderson, and Ender for Bryant and their rebuild would be over. Riley could play LF for them in 2020, and then take over at 3B next year with Andujar replacing Rizzo while they spend their money chasing Bauer/Paxton/Ray/Odorizzi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Uh oh

7:52pm: MLB.com’s Mark Bowman looks at the situation from the Braves’ standpoint, reporting that there’s some doubt that the Braves have even “come close” to making the top offer to Donaldson

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...donaldson.html
    With AA being sick tight lipped, any chance this is way off the mark? I mean everyone’s perceived offer is way off from this one. So maybe this is way off as well since nobody knows?

JD is just as likely to sign something tomorrow morning as he is to sign in 3 weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I view Bowman as more of a press secretary than a journalist. And that's not a knock on Bowman as I think that's pretty much his job. Although now that I think about it, most journalists have become press secretaries.
    thank you weso1!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-08-2020), jpx7 (01-07-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    That’s what I was thinking. No reason to drag things out if JD has all these 4 year 100 mil offers. He would take the Braves pretty quickly. I think we added the forth year at the tune of about $80 mil. The longer it goes....the less likely it’s us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    That’s what I was thinking. No reason to drag things out if JD has all these 4 year 100 mil offers. He would take the Braves pretty quickly. I think we added the forth year at the tune of about $80 mil. The longer it goes....the less likely it’s us.
    For other teams it’s not just his age but they lose a pick at the same time and at his age I just don’t see him getting a 4/110 offer from anybody.