Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks suggesting he will waive his opt out without significant compensation are the same people who think an opt out is good for the team.
    With all the noise going on, not only here, I feel a deal for Arenado is unlikely or at best less than 25%. However since this is a forum for discussion. Make the Bowman offer contingent on Colorado kicking in $35M, Arenado waiving his opt out, Braves extending his contract for 1 year at $35M.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    it's not literally impossible as he's technically able to do it. there's just legitimately a zero percent chance he would. AT WORST he can opt out in 2 years and move on from there if he dislikes the situation that much. there's far, far too much value and security in his deal to voluntarily give it up. it will never, ever happen.

all some people are doing here is laying out why it's unlikely he'll be traded period unless Colorado kicks in cash for each year he's on his new team. that's something that is actually possible and worth discussing. him waiving his opt-out will never be a thing, and i severely doubt any team would even approach him about doing so.
    So "it's not literally impossible" and "there's a 0% chance he would" are somehow the same thing? I was under the impression that a 0% chance was an absolute. Wouldn't that actually make it impossible?

No one - at least most people - is arguing that it's not unlikely and that it wouldn't take a lot to get him to waive the opt out. The only point some are trying to make is that it's not out of the question. I even went so far as to explain that it would be easy for him to "renegotiate" now instead of two years from now by saying he wouldn't waive the no-trade clause unless someone kicked in substantial money even if the Rockies were able to somehow get the type of return they want.

No one is suggesting he's going to give up all that leverage for nothing - at least I'm not. This is the reason I've been completely against opt-outs since Stanton got his - the player then is in a position to hold the organization hostage from that day forward. There's absolutely no way including an opt-out will ever be good for a team.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-16-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    A decision in the Kris Bryant case is expected by the end of the month, possibly next week. Bryant has 2 years to go before free agency but he is grieving that, claiming it should be 1 year based on service time. Ruling will affect his trade value.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    So "it's not literally impossible" and "there's a 0% chance he would" are somehow the same thing? I was under the impression that a 0% chance was an absolute. Wouldn't that actually make it impossible?
    um, "impossible" and "no chance he decides to do that just to play for a different team" are not exactly the same thing, no.
    yes, he's technically able to. no, it will never, ever happen unless, as stated above, he's compensated heavily for it.

it's possible he agrees to void his contract and sign for $1M per year for the next 5 years. does that have a chance of happening tho? see the difference?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    A decision in the Kris Bryant case is expected by the end of the month, possibly next week. Bryant has 2 years to go before free agency but he is grieving that, claiming it should be 1 year based on service time. Ruling will affect his trade value.
    Maybe the Braves should offer more prospects to the cubs and ask KB to waive his grievances so he can play for the Braves.
    Coppy

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-16-2020), DirkPiggler (01-16-2020), zedsdead (01-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    With all the noise going on, not only here, I feel a deal for Arenado is unlikely or at best less than 25%. However since this is a forum for discussion. Make the Bowman offer contingent on Colorado kicking in $35M, Arenado waiving his opt out, Braves extending his contract for 1 year at $35M.
    in this scenario the Braves are still paying him $32.5M until 2027. the Braves cannot and will not be doing that. that's the entire point.
    i swear y'all need to actually think things thru.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

You moved the goal post. But now you are saying the Braves restructure his contract to add 1 year for 35 million which Col would pay. More plausible but still won’t ever happen.
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    You moved the goal post. But now you are saying the Braves restructure his contract to add 1 year for 35 million which Col would pay. More plausible but still won’t ever happen.
    is it more plausible tho? the Braves would still be on the hook for $32.5M until 2027. they could've tried to sign Rendon for that if they were cool with it. they're not.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    is it more plausible tho? the Braves would still be on the hook for $32.5M until 2027. they could've tried to sign Rendon for that if they were cool with it. they're not.
    More plausible in that you are giving NA more incentive to waive the opt out. 35 million more to play till 36 is enticing. So plausible from NA perspective. From a Braves standpoint. No. I can’t see them paying that much for one player through his age 35/36 season.
    Coppy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-16-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Saw a proposal for Marte and Archer which would have us give up Inciarte, Wright, Wilson and Contreras if that all we had to give up I'd DEFINITELY be down for this deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    More plausible in that you are giving NA more incentive to waive the opt out. 35 million more to play till 36 is enticing. So plausible from NA perspective. From a Braves standpoint. No. I can’t see them paying that much for one player through his age 35/36 season.
    right. it makes it slightly more likely NA waives his opt-out. makes it implausible from the Braves standpoint, because the biggest issue is paying him $32.5M until 2027.
    the only scenario where this becomes possible is an extremely low prospect cost, or the Rockies offering $x/year for every year he's on his new team. that's it.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    There is, theoretically, some combination of additional money and years we could offer that would induce Arenado to waive his opt-out. It's just not anything we would ever, under any circumstances, actually offer.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    There is, theoretically, some combination of additional money and years we could offer that would induce Arenado to waive his opt-out. It's just not anything we would ever, under any circumstances, actually offer.
    Not ever, under any circumstances - there's just a 0% chance.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    if the Braves are paying Arenado to waive his opt-out, then the Rockies need to kick in even more money. the entire issue is the Braves don't want to be paying $32.5M/yr until 2027. upping that amount so Arenado waives his opt-out makes no sense at all unless the Rockies kick in a lot of money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not ever, under any circumstances - there's just a 0% chance.
    shockingly, you have a tough time understanding things.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    MLB.com proposed 3 deals for Arenado, one from the Braves was Waters/Anderson/Ender/Cruz. That's way too much even without the opt out.
    I'm not sure I've read the words surplus value from a Bowman column. Maybe not a surprise that he's the offer of that trade proposal. Also, who has compared Drew Waters to a young Chipper Jones? That's a new one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    back to things that might actually happen, it feels like the Braves are going to go a cheap route at least temporarily and explore a trade option mid-season. it does seem like the Cubs basically need to trade Bryant at this point, tho, with how unhappy he is.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If they also pick up 40-50 million on the back end, that wouldn't be terrible
    They would have to pick up more than that. We'd be sending two top 40 prospects for an essentially value-neutral asset. Waters and Anderson are worth more than 40-50 million dollars. Plus, we'd be adding ~25 million dollars to the 2020 payroll while creating yet another hole in the outfield. So at that point would the plan be to just roll out Markakis, Acuna, and Duvall? That doesn't sound that awesome. I'm also not a big fan of the notion that Ender has negative surplus value or is value neutral. I'm still confident in his ability to be a 3 win outfielder, which gives him substantial value.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Maybe the Braves should offer more prospects to the cubs and ask KB to waive his grievances so he can play for the Braves.
    I chuckled.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    You need to get your gun out then, What would be the big benefit for Arenado to waive out if he is playing for a contender at the time? More money? A big big gamble. More years?" Maybe but probably would reduce the AAV.
    What would be the benefit in waiving the opt out? Even if Arenado were totally convinced of his commitment to whatever team he was on, it would still be immensely stupid to waive his opt out. If he goes out and has an 8 win season in 2021 at age 31, he would likely do much better than 5/164 on the open market. Anthony Rendon was just a year younger than Arenado would be at that point in time, and he got 245 million. If he waived his opt out, he could be leaving 50-80 million dollars on the table for precisely zero benefit.