Results 4,441 to 4,460 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Carlos Beltran has stepped down as Mets manager due to the sign stealing scandal
    LGM! LGM!
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah this is another point that isn't related to money at all. Why would he waive his opt out to get out of his current situation, to enter into a different situation that he knows nothing about, and lock himself in to that situation for the rest of his career. The opt out isn't exclusively about money, its also about getting out of a situation you don't want to be in. So the exact reason why people are saying he would waive his opt-out is the exact reason why he should keep it. Otherwise he's locking himself in to a situation that he may hate in a year's time.
    It's entirely possible that Arenado is only motivated by trying to get as high a score in money as possible.

Personally, I think the control over his circumstances is probably the much more important part of the equation to him. It would be to me, because the ability to leave is a safety valve and leverage.

Of course the leverage goes away when the team is no longer concerned with keeping you.

This is an unlikely scenario, but I don't think the idea is quite as stupid as you are trying to make civ feel. Things like this do happen on occasion.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    You're arguing just to argue. The odds of winning the lottery are a fraction of 1 percent. To be more exact, for the Mega Millions it is roughly .00000003304692%. Sure it isn't technically zero, but it's close enough to say it's effectively zero and not to bother thinking of it as a plausible outcome.
    Yeah - cause there's absolutely no one else that does that around here.

(And I'm obviously alone since he went back to further try to pick apart the same post two posts after you said this. Pots - meet kettles.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    FWIW the Denver Post: Quoting an article from 3 days ago: A trade of Nolan Arenado becoming more likely every day 3 teams in the fore Texas, St Louis and Atlanta. This is not new info but at least it isn't coming from CNN

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Yeah - cause there's absolutely no one else that does that around here.

(And I'm obviously alone since he went back to further try to pick apart the same post two posts after you said this. Pots - meet kettles.)
    You are arguing over something as inconsequential as whether 0 actually means 0. There's a clear difference. Spirited debate is fun. You trying to argue over the meaning of 0 is just beyond stupid.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Saw a proposal for Marte and Archer which would have us give up Inciarte, Wright, Wilson and Contreras if that all we had to give up I'd DEFINITELY be down for this deal.
    Jumpin Jaysus on a pogo stick, who made this up, PiratesMurph? We'd be giving up something on the order of $60-65 million in value and getting something on the order of $15-20 million.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    You are arguing over something as inconsequential as whether 0 actually means 0. There's a clear difference. Spirited debate is fun. You trying to argue over the meaning of 0 is just beyond stupid.
    We're a page or so away from a literal argumentum ad dictionarium.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    We're a page or so away from a literal argumentum ad dictionarium.

Might have to tear the thread down and start a rebuild
    Get off my lawn!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-16-2020), Horsehide Harry (01-16-2020), jpx7 (01-16-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It's entirely possible that Arenado is only motivated by trying to get as high a score in money as possible.

Personally, I think the control over his circumstances is probably the much more important part of the equation to him. It would be to me, because the ability to leave is a safety valve and leverage.

Of course the leverage goes away when the team is no longer concerned with keeping you.

This is an unlikely scenario, but I don't think the idea is quite as stupid as you are trying to make civ feel. Things like this do happen on occasion.
    Can you name an instance where a player gave away an opt out for precisely no monetary gain? I certainly can't recall any.

And if the ability to control his situation were so important to him, why would he just give away his ability to regain full control of his circumstances in two years for the pleasure of going to whatever team the Rockies decide to trade him to? Obviously his NTC gives him final say, but its entirely possible (within this impossible scenario) that he agrees to waive his NTC and opt out, goes to his new team, and absolutely hates it. At that point it would be tough titty because you just gave away your ability to opt out.

Usually I respect your tendency for contrarianism because I also have a natural skepticism towards orthodoxy, but I think you're way off the mark with this one. Waiving his opt out for no monetary gain just makes no sense.

I also think more people are motivated by the financial high score than you'd like to believe.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

so your argument is that Arenado may waive his opt-out in order to play for someone else other than Rockies, which he's able to do in 2 years anyway should he NOT waive his opt-out?

why would he sign his long-term, top-dollar deal in the first place?
    why wouldn't he just wait and maintain complete control over his situation instead, and not potentially sacrifice a single dollar?

Arenado would have to be compensated, monetarily, to waive it. it's as simple as that. you say stuff like this has happened before - to what are you referring?

yes, players have taken team-friendly deals before. this is not in the same category. he JUST signed this deal, obviously going for the most money he could get. why would he suddenly have a change of heart?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Can you name an instance where a player gave away an opt out for precisely no monetary gain? I certainly can't recall any.
    he's using the ambiguous, lacking nuance explanation of "players have previously done things not in their best interest money-wise, therefore Arenado doing this specific thing that no one has ever done is somewhat reasonable." it's horse****, yes, but it's where we are.

as far as i know, Arenado hasn't even voiced the slightest displeasure with his situation. it's the same logic that led some people (ahem....) to believe JD would take a 20% discount to stay in Atlanta. it's nonsensical. the Braves wouldn't even ask Arenado to waive his opt-out for free, just to play in Atlanta, as that would be insulting. his agent would slam the phone down.
    Last edited by Super; 01-16-2020 at 01:47 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It's shocking how many people don't understand how player opt outs work, yet keep posting about it. Kinda like arguing with a flat earther.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Might have to tear the thread down and start a rebuild
    I'll trade you clv and PawPaw for CrazyTrain, VirginaBrave, and SJ24. I know its a 3 for 2, but I feel like clv is at least worth Virginia and Taylor combined.

I'll talk to clv about waiving rhetorical questions, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. He really likes those things.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (01-16-2020), Carp (01-16-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's shocking how many people don't understand how player opt outs work, yet keep posting about it. Kinda like arguing with a flat earther.
    What about the Bedford Level Experiment huh?

What about fish eye lenses in space cameras huh?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    I'll trade you clv and PawPaw for CrazyTrain, VirginaBrave, and SJ24. I know its a 3 for 2, but I feel like clv is at least worth Virginia and Taylor combined.

I'll talk to clv about waiving rhetorical questions, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. He really likes those things.
    What is his arguments above replacement number? Need to know if this is a good deal or not
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    What is his arguments above replacement number? Need to know if this is a good deal or not
    Oh, you're one of those people who likes math. I'd prefer to deal with someone who can just eyeball this deal and know its right in their gut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    a lot of posts the last few pages with negative expected thanks
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (01-16-2020), Carp (01-16-2020), jpx7 (01-16-2020), Metaphysicist (01-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    ET™

Just wanted to get the trademark in for Expected Thanks. Gonna be yuge, including a yuge counterfeit market.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    a lot of posts the last few pages with negative expected thanks
    We really need more post rating options. Someone that knows code needs to get on that right away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We really need more post rating options. Someone that knows code needs to get on that right away.
    a decent programmer should be able to find a patch to the zero lower bound problem

"I am your retribution."