Results 4,481 to 4,500 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    so is Arenado getting traded to the Braves...who has a strong opinion...please speak up
    There is non-zero possibility that there's a zero percent chance of it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    How could anyone possibly have a change of heart after they've JUST signed a deal? Lol. Really?

I don't know about civ but I never suggested it was likely that he would waive his opt-out for no compensation. I don't think it's likely.

But why might he?

Maybe he doesn't want to lose for the next two years and can be made comfortable about committing to another club for the long haul.

Maybe he gets so pissed at the Rockies he just wants out.

Neither of those things seems particularly likely right now, but it isn't like we cannot think of players who have gotten to that place.
    ok i'll ask since you won't answer: when has a player sacrificed this much money simply to go to another team? when has anything like what you're suggesting happened? you claimed it has. it hasn't, but what are you interpreting as similar?

i'll state again. there is no chance he waives his opt-out for no more promised money, but simply to move to another team. i don't care at all if you interpret what other players have done as similar. we have ZERO indication, in this specific instance that we are talking about, that Arenado is SOOOOO disgruntled that he'd potentially sacrifice tens of millions of dollars simply to play for the Braves. if he were approached about waiving it simply to play for a different team, his agent wouldn't engage with that team because it's insulting. yes, the suggestion is dumb and is not happening. crusade for the half-thinkers all you like.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    +1 ET™
    meanwhile all of your grading posts are at least -1 ET each
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    so is Arenado getting traded to the Braves...who has a strong opinion...please speak up
    The only way it happens is if the Rockies are really looking to reduce payroll and need to move Arenado to achieve that goal. It's clear that they aren't moving Blackmon since he's likely completely upside down. As are Davis, Desmond, McGhee, Shaw and Murphy. Story has value but doesn't make enough to move the needle. Same for Gray and Marquez, at least this year.

So, if Arenado is moved it will be because of money. Any acquiring club isn't going to pay a ton in talent for a guy getting paid at the top of the scale on a long term deal with a player opt out, where the player plays half his games in Colorado historically.

The amount of talent going back to Colorado depends entirely on the amount of money Colorado is willing to contribute to Arenado's cost. Given what I said above, Colorado is unlikely to send a lot of cash because the reason for moving him is likely money. Therefore, if he's moved, he will go to a team that's willing to take all or at least most of his contract, and that team will return little real value in terms of prospects.

If Colorado bundles Arenado with another guy, say a guy like Dahl, then they will get more in return plus be able to move the contract. But they have't floated that concept anywhere. Right now, Colorado doesn't want to give off the wounded animal vibe that a salary dump brings with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    meanwhile all of your grading posts are at least -1 ET each
    the great leader should arrange for the ET™ system to be automated so my posts don't pollute these beautiful and pristine threads
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    There is non-zero possibility that there's a zero percent chance of it.
    extremism in the defense of moderation is no vice

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Poster from my collegiate teams board went to the season ticket holder breakfast with AA today, his summary:

So had a breakfast today for season ticket holders with AA. He was as honest as he could be but didn't say what the offer was to JD. Pretty much said the plan is to use Riley/Carmago and thinks Riley can figure it out because what he did in AAA (hint huge difference between AAA and MLB pitching). They are still in the market for FA's in search of a #4 hitter and any other pieces. Next year is the 150 year team anniversary and they'll have some things planned. The Chop is not going away (3 people asked lol) and will be used. For example the fan fest is not called the fan fest next week, it's the Chopfest. AA said he's not tied financially from making an offer, never been turned down my MgGuirk. Which honestly I don't buy that one bit unless he knows they won't say yes to a Harper type of deal so doesn't even ask. They don't want to get strapped down in expensive long term deals.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    no!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ok i'll ask since you won't answer: when has a player sacrificed this much money simply to go to another team? when has anything like what you're suggesting happened? you claimed it has. it hasn't, but what are you interpreting as similar?

i'll state again. there is no chance he waives his opt-out for no more promised money, but simply to move to another team. i don't care at all if you interpret what other players have done as similar. we have ZERO indication, in this specific instance that we are talking about, that Arenado is SOOOOO disgruntled that he'd potentially sacrifice tens of millions of dollars simply to play for the Braves. if he were approached about waiving it simply to play for a different team, his agent wouldn't engage with that team because it's insulting. yes, the suggestion is dumb and is not happening. crusade for the half-thinkers all you like.
    how much money is he giving up?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Poster from my collegiate teams board went to the season ticket holder breakfast with AA today, his summary:

So had a breakfast today for season ticket holders with AA. He was as honest as he could be but didn't say what the offer was to JD. Pretty much said the plan is to use Riley/Carmago and thinks Riley can figure it out because what he did in AAA (hint huge difference between AAA and MLB pitching). They are still in the market for FA's in search of a #4 hitter and any other pieces. Next year is the 150 year team anniversary and they'll have some things planned. The Chop is not going away (3 people asked lol) and will be used. For example the fan fest is not called the fan fest next week, it's the Chopfest. AA said he's not tied financially from making an offer, never been turned down my MgGuirk. Which honestly I don't buy that one bit unless he knows they won't say yes to a Harper type of deal so doesn't even ask. They don't want to get strapped down in expensive long term deals.
    As a season ticket holder had this guy had the audacity to sit in front of me with a straight face and said some BS like that I would've seriously asked for my season ticket money back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA isn’t gonna tell anybody what he’s really up to, not even season ticket holders bc that’s just how he works. I put little stock into GM speak. You can’t lose a Josh Donaldson type of player when your window is open and expect to seriously compete. He knows this.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    You're going to crap on any example I give you of players that took millions dollars less than they could have gotten on the open market to get themselves to a place they wanted to be (or stay there).

You know it. I know it.

Players do in fact do that. You know it. I know it.

So what good would providing examples do?

Here is an article with some examples. https://www.businessinsider.com/14-a...ay-cuts-2013-7

Here is one that talks about how stupid it is for players to do this: https://www.theringer.com/2017/7/7/1...s-eaba72bef463

Yes, I know. All these examples are crap. And none of them are specifically about player opt outs, and you win. Predictive conclusory statement repeated with even more force!
    Last edited by Southcack77; 01-16-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    You're going to crap on any example I give you of players that took millions dollars less than they could have gotten on the open market to get themselves to a place they wanted to be (or stay there).

You know it. I know it.

Here is an article with some examples. https://www.businessinsider.com/14-a...ay-cuts-2013-7

Here is one that talks about how stupid it is for players to do this: https://www.theringer.com/2017/7/7/1...s-eaba72bef463

Yes, I know. All these examples are crap. And none of them are specifically about player opt outs, and you win. Predictive conclusory statement repeated with even more force!
    You must have me confused with someone else. Movin' along.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You must have me confused with someone else. Movin' along.

I certainly quoted the wrong post anyhow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I certainly quoted the wrong post anyhow.
    yeah...very confusing

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    So the theory is now that Arenado hates Colorado so much after signing a gigantic extension with a no trade clause that he will give up a clause in his contract worth 5%-10% of the total guarantee for the honor of playing for the legendary Brian Snitker for the entirety of his prime...never mind the fact he knows nothing first hand about the Braves organization.

Did he own a Braves jacket as a kid like Kemp? Does he like scouting minor league players like Greinke does? What other laughably absurd draw to the Braves is pulling Arenado to switch teams?

So yeah....derp.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

You know it. I know it.

lmao, your list features ONE MLB player, and it was a hometown discount for not as much as Arenado would potentially be leaving on the table.
    yes, NBA players have taken discounts to win championships as it's much easier to create a path to one...it doesn't happen like that in the MLB. do you have anything remotely close to what you're suggesting in the MLB? i thought it was assumed we were talking about the MLB, but i guess when you gotta reach, you gotta reach.

and again: this wild nonsense is relating specifically to Arenado, who has shown literally zero indication he's even moderately unhappy with his situation. proposing that he waive his opt-out JUST to switch teams is. stupid. perhaps if he were throwing a fit, or taking jabs at the Rockies, it MIGHT lend slightly more credence to this silly idea. even then, i severely doubt a team would approach him about waiving it. why? it doesn't happen. never has. as it stands, there's absolutely no reason to ask, think, or suspect he might waive it. it's asinine. it's wishful thinking because it would benefit the Braves. we have no legitimate reason to suspect he'd waive.

as for how much he's leaving on the table:
    in two years when his opt-out is up, his deal will be as follows if he stays: 5 years, $164M. he'll be one year older than Rendon who just signed for 7/$245M.
    take a year off Rendon's contract and make it 6/210. 210-164 = $46M. and that's without factoring in potential market inflation. someone would give him (basically) Rendon's deal in 2 years almost no doubt.

i don't even expect him to opt-out either way. however, if contracts continue to sky rocket and similar players are getting years tacked on that he doesn't have yet, i'm sure he'll be tempted.......which is why he won't abandon the idea of one.

ask yourself: what are the chances you could convince him to agree to take the opt-out no matter what? think he'd do that? i'd be highly interested in him if his deal were 2/$70M. but he wouldn't agree to that. why? because it's stupid from his perspective. it's not that complicated.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Infielder Adeiny Hechavarria and the Atlanta Braves are in agreement on a one-year, $1 million contract, a source familiar with the deal tells ESPN. Good utility option who played second, short and third while with the Braves last season.

Per Jeff Passan
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Riley/Camargo/Hech/Solarte/Culberson not too bad to have those 5 in the organization....

it is bad if 2 of them are platooning to replace Donaldson
    Get off my lawn!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Riley/Camargo/Hech/Solarte/Culberson not too bad to have those 5 in the organization....

it is bad if 2 of them are platooning to replace Donaldson
    Honestly, if those are the choices, Adeiny full-time is likely the best option instead of a platoon. And it's most def not a great option.