Page 229 of 289 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Solarte may prove to be a clever pickup. My Padre buddy thinks a lot of him.

However, while little strokes that are meaningful are always a welcome quality in a GM, our boy needs one big master stroke right now. Hechevarria and Solarte and even Holt dont help the crater in the middle of the lineup.
    AA will have a wider selection of players to choose once pseudo contenders like the Rangers and Mariners turn into sellers.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I predict Acuna will hit cleanup.
    I would be pleasantly shocked if AA doesnt add a cleanup hitter of some sort before the season starts.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    AA will have a wider selection of players to choose once pseudo contenders like the Rangers and Mariners turn into sellers.
    I suppose we can float along for three months doing the wing-and-a-prayer method. If the Nats (Phils, Mets) get off to a good first half, though, that could be fatal.

My preference is to add a big bat before the season. It was splendid having that 1-4 last year.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    One of your pseudos is keenly aware they aren't in the hunt this year (Mariners). I think their GM would be very amenable to a Seager/Haniger deal with some of the pieces that have been bandied about in the Bryant/Arenado conversations going the other way. Adding those two would be tough to beat.

I haven't seen an excess value analysis on that one but it might be interesting plugging in a couple pitchers and Riley or Waters.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    One of your pseudos is keenly aware they aren't in the hunt this year (Mariners). I think their GM would be very amenable to a Seager/Haniger deal with some of the pieces that have been bandied about in the Bryant/Arenado conversations going the other way. Adding those two would be tough to beat.

I haven't seen an excess value analysis on that one but it might be interesting plugging in a couple pitchers and Riley or Waters.
    What if Riley completely sucks if he spends time in the bigs this year?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    If AA doesn’t improve the offense it is as likely the Braves are sellers at the deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

From a timing perspective it makes sense for the M's to wait. To give Haniger a chance to re-establish value.

And I think the Bravos harbor some hope's about Riley taking over at third after a month or two in AAA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

There are scenarios where acquiring a Haniger/Seager package makes sense. It shouldn’t cost too much in terms of prospect capital to make it happen, depending on how much of Seager’s deal the Braves take on.

Whether or not the Ms want to sell low on Haniger to facilitate dumping Seager is another question entirely.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Another BP arm(??) signed. MiLB contract with non-roster invite

From MLBTR

The Braves have signed lefty Chris Rusin to a minor league deal and invited him to major league camp, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (via Twitter).

Rusin made just two appearances for the big league club in Colorado last season, making 25 appearances (10 starts) for the Rockies’ Triple-A affiliate. The 33-year-old southpaw spent the last five seasons in Colorado, totaling 164 appearances (29 starts) as a swingman. He put up an overall 4.52 ERA/4.13 FIP, but struggled in 2018 to the tune of a 6.09 ERA/4.94 FIP.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    This thread is starting to remind me of the “Offseason is a total failure” thread from last year and the year before.

Have some faith in AA😀

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    This thread is starting to remind me of the “Offseason is a total failure” thread from last year and the year before.

Have some faith in AA😀
    we must remain true to our ancient traditions

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Have some faith in AA😀
    I think it's just fine for people to question the motives when you don't pay for a huge piece of the offense that made you playoff viable last year. They have to address it yes, but it is perfectly fine for people to be worried about the direction of the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If AA doesn’t improve the offense it is as likely the Braves are sellers at the deadline.
    Agreed. You can’t lose the production JD brought last year and not replace it. Hoping to float along till July is to risky.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Im curious as to who would be a candidate for sale under your scenario?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts

Have some faith in AA��
    I am starting to have faith in his ability to fail at offseasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Agreed. You can’t lose the production JD brought last year and not replace it. Hoping to float along till July is to risky.
    Of course there is risk. There is also risk in giving JD a four year deal or Ozuna a four year deal. There is no risk free option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    It seems like AA severely underestimated the market for JD. He signed an expensive BP arm early while thinking JD would be far cheaper than he ended up being. As always, the DH allows AL teams to take bigger risks on aging offensive players.

My main concern with the Smith signing was that it would hamper the Braves ability to upgrade the roster in the future. Turns out that future may already be here. It’s not time to panic yet, but AA needs to cook something up if the offense is to be anything close to what it was last year.
    Actually all the quotes at the end of the year indicated it would be tough to bring him back after the year he had. Or is that off base? Memory can be a bear in your mid 30s.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Anyone expiring would have some value, so let's say for talks, MM/Greene/Hamels, even Ender probably in this scenario. I agree with Scheff if we dont add a bopper before the year, we're more likely sellers than buyers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Folty will probably be the biggest chip at the deadline if the Braves fall out of contention.

Being able to unload short term assets in case revenue drops at the end of the year is precisely why long term deals are avoided.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Anyone expiring would have some value, so let's say for talks, MM/Greene/Hamels, even Ender probably in this scenario. I agree with Scheff if we dont add a bopper before the year, we're more likely sellers than buyers.
    I get your point but would any of those mentioned bring back anything other than some useless salary relief and even more useless very low level prospects?