I suggested we take a flier on him about a month ago. $1m deal is great
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    How much more evidence do we need that the playoffs are an absolute crapshoot and that staying competitive long term is the name of the game?
    Yeah I don’t buy the playoffs being a crapshoot either. Playoff success requires a different roster build than regular season success. In the regular season quality depth wins out. In the post season top heavy talent wins out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    There’s literally no risk in signing Hernandez. He either wins a spot or doesn’t, that’s it. Love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I like the Felix move. It could pay off huge or be nothing lost. Walker is another one I’d like to see a flyer on. I think our pitching as a whole should be very good this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    It was a lot of fun last time we had a Hernandez on the pitching staff.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Yeah I don’t buy the playoffs being a crapshoot either. Playoff success requires a different roster build than regular season success. In the regular season quality depth wins out. In the post season top heavy talent wins out.
    And yet you have the Royals in back to back WS, the Giants winning three World Series, the Cardinals, the Rangers, etc.

Obviously the better your players, the better your odds. The gist of that cliche is baseball by nature is random. In a simulation (n=100,000) where you insert say the Orioles into last year’s postseason, there would be an instance where they would have won the World Series.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Felix deal is a low risk deal, perfectly fine with this. He's probably toast but for 1 mil, this is fine.

Get a cleanup hitter, Alex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    We finally found our ace!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Dodgers had a loaded roster top to bottom and lost in 5 to Washington. There's no secret formula to playoff baseball.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Tell that to the '91-'05 Braves, who sported either the best or 2nd best roster in baseball for a big chunk of that time period and only won 1 championship.

Tell that to the Dodgers. They have accumulated 214 WAR through 2013-2019 and don't have a single WS ring to show for it. For context, the next closest team in that time frame is the Red Sox with 184 WAR and no other team has more than 170.

Tell that to the Astros, who the pundits said were the biggest WS favorite in years after they acquired Greinke last year.

Tell that to the Nationals, who at one point had a 1% chance of winning the World Series last year and still ended up winning it.

This is all anecdotal evidence that is pretty useless, objectively. But there is a ton of data that supports the idea that there is a tremendous amount of luck involved in playoff baseball. There is so much luck that mortgaging several years of competitiveness in order to "go all in" almost never makes any sense. That doesn't mean that it never makes sense to trade future value for present day value, but it has to be balanced with the reality that playoff baseball is all about luck and parity.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The Hernandez deal doesn't come with any risk, but you have to wonder if it also came with a promise to let him go if he doesn't (surprisingly) win the 5th spot so he can try to catch on somewhere else.

It's a little hard to imagine that they want him taking up SP innings in Gwinnett, and even if Wright or Wilson wins the job and Newk goes back to the pen you've already got Wright/Wilson, Touki, Ynoa, Davidson, Weigel, and Anderson there plus Muller and De La Cruz at some point even if it's not at the very start of the season. Not really sure there's room for Felix or another depth veteran there with so many arms that are already on the 40-Man Roster.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-20-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Tell that to the '91-'05 Braves, who sported either the best or 2nd best roster in baseball for a big chunk of that time period and only won 1 championship.

Tell that to the Dodgers. They have accumulated 214 WAR through 2013-2019 and don't have a single WS ring to show for it. For context, the next closest team in that time frame is the Red Sox with 184 WAR and no other team has more than 170.

Tell that to the Astros, who the pundits said were the biggest WS favorite in years after they acquired Greinke last year.

Tell that to the Nationals, who at one point had a 1% chance of winning the World Series last year and still ended up winning it.

This is all anecdotal evidence that is pretty useless, objectively. But there is a ton of data that supports the idea that there is a tremendous amount of luck involved in playoff baseball. There is so much luck that mortgaging several years of competitiveness in order to "go all in" almost never makes any sense. That doesn't mean that it never makes sense to trade future value for present day value, but it has to be balanced with the reality that playoff baseball is all about luck and parity.
    Only reason the Astros didn't win last year is that other teams were using TVs to steal Greinke's signs, so that one's a fluke.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I suggested we take a flier on him about a month ago. $1m deal is great
    Yeah I remember that. Very low risk and the dollars are fine. Just have a very hard time believing he’ll do anything for us. He’s been awful the past few years - would much rather have kept Teheran. But! Maybe Anderson or Wright start the season strong in AAA and earn his spot

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    We are in the midst of a pretty terrible streak of losing 9 straight series/WC games, but stuff like that just happens occasionally.
    This is the only sentence there I disagree with. That nine straight ties the all time record, and it took the Cubs 109 years to do it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (01-20-2020), jpx7 (01-20-2020)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is interesting to consider the case of Kyle Seager.

The past 3 seasons he's put up WAR of 3.5, 1.5, 2.9.

He is 32. I'd project him at 3 WAR in 2020 and 2 WAR in 2021.

He's making 19M in 2020 and 18M in 2021. There is a reasonable option for 2022.

Expected surplus value over the life of the contract is about 1 WAR, meaning he would not cost us any of our prospects who has sniffed a Top 100 list. Assuming Seattle is willing to sell early.

The in-house options at third project to generate about 1.0-1.5 WAR.

Seager in principle should give us a couple extra wins. If he is avaiable the price should be reasonable. And we would have avoided the long-term risk of signing an older player to a 4 year deal.

The question is whether Seattle is ready to deal and on what terms.

Just one last note. It is unrealistic to think acquiring Seager now will not affect AA's ability to make mid-season moves. A budget is a thing. Something that a lot of people seem to have lost sight of.
    This is a good idea. Two points - first, last year he tore a thumb ligament that cost him 50 games and presumably 1-1.5 WAR and secondly, he remade his body and his swing prior to last year with encouraging results. He may age well and there may be a little more there than was anticipated by a cursory look. Wasn't long ago he was a 6 WAR 3B. .950 OPS against LH pitching in 19.

I think the Mariners will move him for some decent upside without getting into prime prospects. Theyd like to lose his contract.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 01-20-2020 at 06:31 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2020)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    There’s literally no risk in signing Hernandez. He either wins a spot or doesn’t, that’s it. Love it.
    He literally has nothing left and he's too rockheaded to make the changes he needs to make. Waste of resources.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    This is the only sentence there I disagree with. That nine straight ties the all time record, and it took the Cubs 109 years to do it.
    Yeah I wasn't saying that specific thing happens occasionally, just that weird things like that happen in a game with such high variance like baseball. It obviously takes some pretty horrific luck to go on a streak like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    This. In every way imaginable, this. The Braves are the unluckiest franchise in postseason history by a long shot, and you can't convince me otherwise.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    He literally has nothing left and he's too rockheaded to make the changes he needs to make. Waste of resources.
    He only gets a million dollars if he's added to the 40 man roster. The front office obviously thinks that he may have something left in the tank if he makes a few adjustments. Maybe he is this year's Anibal Sanchez. If it doesn't work out, send him on his way. It probably won't amount to anything, but its the type of signing that can sometimes really round a team out.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-20-2020)