Page 239 of 289 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241249 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,780 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I follow this prospect site and they did an article on players they expect big years from in 2020. Here are the blurbs from the two Braves listed. Good to get an unbiased take from a non Braves fan.

https://prospects365.com/2020/01/20/...-redraft-value

Tucker Davidson, SP, Atlanta. Age: 24

I don’t like Davidson’s 2020 outlook as much as I love Kyle Wright’s (scroll down for his write-up) 2020 outlook, but my gut tells me the left-hander will play a role in Atlanta at some point this season. The way I see it, Davidson is currently the 7th best starting pitcher within the Braves’ organization, behind Mike Soroka, Max Fried, Cole Hamels, Mike Foltynewicz, Kyle Wright and Ian Anderson (Sean Newcomb will reportedly battle with Wright and Ian Anderson for the fifth spot in the Braves’ rotation, but I suspect his optimal role is in the bullpen). Anderson is not currently on the 40-man roster and has only made five starts in Triple-A; of course the right-hander will eventually slot into the Braves’ starting rotation, but I believe it’s likely that Davidson, Wright and Bryse Wilson (and maybe even Patrick Weigel) will all receive opportunities before Anderson this season. I loved what I saw from Davidson last season in my Southern League looks, and he’s worked hard this offseason to add additional velocity to his already-underrated fastball. The long-term role is a little less clear, but I’m fairly confident the 24-year-old will log innings from Atlanta’s rotation at some point this season.

Kyle Wright, SP, Atlanta. Age: 24

My favorite inclusion on this list is also the highest ranked. Every time I revise my 2020 prospect list (published next month for non-VIP members), I find a reason to move Wright up a few spots. You can study the profile months, but Wright’s outlook basically boils down to this fact: if you believe in him, you better grab him—in any and every format—before Opening Day 2020. Tasked with out-dueling Sean Newcomb and Ian Anderson (I discussed the pitfalls of his 2020 outlook above) for the fifth spot in the Braves’ rotation, there’s no question this is an extremely important season in Wright’s professional career. Luckily for the 24-year-old, I believe he’s currently the odds-on favorite to secure the final rotation spot in Atlanta—for multi-faceted reasons that extend well beyond Wright himself. If I’m correct and the right-hander is given the first crack at taking the ball every fifth day, monitoring the early returns of his pitch usage, spin efficiency and command will likely serve as the preludes to his season-long viability. I say it every time I discuss Wright and I’ll leave you with the thought now: the 24-year-old’s possesses some of the best pure stuff in all of baseball.
    Gotta like the positive press. Thanks
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    For me, I don't really see how waiving the opt-out actually makes him all that much more attractive to a team that is trading for him. That would have to be a club that is really sold on Arenado being, most likely, the highest paid player on their club for the foreseeable future. I doubt that is really Atlanta's bag.
    this was one of my issues with the waiving his opt-out discussion. why would a team really want that? if the Braves acquired him i'd almost want him to take the opt-out for sure.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Yeah, Donaldson honestly has a weird career arc. His overall counting stats, which sim scores are based on, are much lower than those guys at the same age. That's because all three of them were established players by 20-23, but Donaldson didn't play his first full season until 27. So you end up with a bizarre career shape that is essentially all peak, at the normal ages, but with nothing coming before. So for his sim scores, he's being compared to a group of guys with similar counting stats (like PA) at his age, who are almost uniformly going to be a worse player pool.

Mitchell - Last season >100 G was at 29.
    Burnitz - Already 0 WAR player by 33.
    Bautista - Actually Interesting comp
    Post - Done by 33
    Castilla - Already SVOD by 33
    Nevin - Only had more than 450 PA 3 times in his whole career.
    Hamilton - Honestly, a pretty interesting comp outside the baggage.
    Frazier - Same age as Donaldson now, just a uniformly worse player
    Bay - Done by 33
    Sanders - A uniformly worse player than Donaldson, but was still relatively valuable from 34-37

Jose Bautista is really the only interesting comp, as he was also a later bloomer who was still elite at 33. Some similarity in the violence of the swings. Maybe that could a realistic downside; but I think Donaldson's "downside" value is still higher since his is a good defensive 3B rather than an all-bat DH.

If you look at his similar career batters (total, not by age) though, you see some midcareer guys who started off as immediately great, just at a younger age: Harper, Arenado, Machado. I think it will be very interesting to see how the HOF treats him when the time comes around, especially if he can pull off just one more elite season.
    A few other players worth considering as comps: Jeff Kent, Matt Holliday, Todd Helton. None played third, but match the late bloomer profile.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    How sweet would it be if we could trade for Arenado/Bryant and still sign Castellanos or Ozuna... don't see the money being possible but its hard to gauge the potential budget at the moment.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Heyman- Braves still seek a middle of the order bat to replace Donaldson, with Ozuna or Castellanos being seen as the most likely options. They like both bats and are said likely to ultimately decide based on the deal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Heyman- Braves still seek a middle of the order bat to replace Donaldson, with Ozuna or Castellanos being seen as the most likely options. They like both bats and are said likely to ultimately decide based on the deal.
    It could be the wording of the tweet, but it sounds like the Braves will take the cheaper of Castellanos and Ozuna and it's that simple.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    It could be the wording of the tweet, but it sounds like the Braves will take the cheaper of Castellanos and Ozuna and it's that simple.
    I think Castellanos is cheaper but who the hell knows.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i think it just means whoever comes at a better value. Ozuna will probably be more expensive but his contract could still be better value.
    as usual, tho, Heyman's insight is pretty useless.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-21-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think it just means whoever comes at a better value. Ozuna will probably be more expensive but his contract could still be better value.
    as usual, tho, Heyman's insight is pretty useless.
    for sure. 2+2 still equals 4.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I know ppl are dismissing the comments about the Rockies not trading him.

I agree on the surplus value argument. Aa seems like a guy who is not budging in value.

But the Rockies can’t dump that guy for nothing. I don’t see how they eat a bunch of money either.

Maybe they make a multi player deal. But fans are not going to get Dahl has more surplus value than arenando. I don’t think the Rockies can get away with a Stanton dump.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Hard to take what Heyman says seriously though, i do hope hes right we seek a middle of the order bat. Current lineup aint good enough to be nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Are Culberson and Hech expected to make roster?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    FWIW, someone said on the other Braves site, Braves have a Donaldson like 1 year offer to both Ozuna and Castellanos. I'd be pretty shocked if either took that.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2020), UNCBlue012 (01-21-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Are Culberson and Hech expected to make roster?
    Hech is more likely than Culberson imo, due to the glove.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    How sweet would it be if we could trade for Arenado/Bryant and still sign Castellanos or Ozuna... don't see the money being possible but its hard to gauge the potential budget at the moment.
    Another cheaper name to keep an eye on is Nick Senzel. The reds seem to be willing to move him as his name came up in the Lindor rumors. Sign one of the outfielders and suddenly it's easier to part with Drew Waters. The Reds I'm guessing would also want a young major league ready starting pitcher. That's of course assuming that the Braves think he can play 3B at the major league level (He played third in college and in the minors).
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

I agree on the surplus value argument. Aa seems like a guy who is not budging in value.

But the Rockies can’t dump that guy for nothing. I don’t see how they eat a bunch of money either.

Maybe they make a multi player deal. But fans are not going to get Dahl has more surplus value than arenando. I don’t think the Rockies can get away with a Stanton dump.

Basically, you are suggesting that the Rockies are barred from making sound baseball decisions because it would upset their fans.

Maybe that's how they see it.

But the Marlins made the best deal they could and there is no reason to believe that the Rockies are going to do any better. I have no idea why the Rockies would think they had anyone over a barrel here. Either they want out or they don't. It isn't likely they're getting a windfall of prospects out of this.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    FWIW, someone said on the other Braves site, Braves have a Donaldson like 1 year offer to both Ozuna and Castellanos. I'd be pretty shocked if either took that.
    Braves Refugee?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

i think the Rockies could kick in cash for a better prospect package and the casual fan ("it's not my money") wouldn't bat too much of an eye.
    they can't trade him for very little while providing zero cash like his contract dictates tho. the fans would be extremely upset.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Braves Refugee?
    Yeah that site

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    It may also depend on Ozuna's QO. If they have to pay an extra million in order to keep the pick and sign Castellanos, I would probably do that.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2020)